Viewing horse for sale in Tier 3...

Flamenco

Visit site
Copy and paste from BHS guidance

Viewing, buying and selling horses

You should not travel into or out of Tier 4 to view a horse. You can travel to view a horse in Tiers 1, 2 and 3 where you consider this to be necessary travel. You must follow the rules for the Tier which you are entering. Travel through tiers to reach your destination is allowed.

Travelling to collect a newly purchased horse would be allowed.

I need to sell but as we're now in Tier 4 it looks like I'll have to wait until we're back in Tier 3

dixie

Visit site
Interesting they class viewing a horse as necessary travel ! But good to see clarification over this as I have a horse for sale but was unsure how to interpret the rules.
I had a viewing today but it’s been canx because of the icey conditions - can’t win at the moment.

MissTyc

Visit site
I'm in Tier 4 and have had several calls recently from people asking me to come for a second viewing with them. No.
But the sales & vettings are going ahead, legal or not!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
We’re tier 4 and in the process of horse hunting. The majority of tier 4 sellers I’ve spoken to our counting it in the same vein as a 1:1 lesson which is still allowed as far as I can tell based on the latest BHS guidance, although I’m not hugely comfortable with the idea. I’m making an exception for a viewing on Saturday but that’s only because on paper they tick every box and I’m fairly confident if as described we’ll end up buying them.

EJJ999

Visit site
I know it's against the law but we have viewed a couple of horses. We are tier 4. But we were in the car the whole journey (2 of us same household). Kept distance from the one person that we met there. Got back in car and travelled home. Minimum contact. Went Supermarket later and had to get quite close to people. £200 fine if I get caught which I can deal with. So legally it may be wrong but morally it didn't feel too wrong.

doodle

Visit site
Why do something that you know is against the law? The restrictions are there for a reason not just for fun. We are in this mess as everyone is saying “yeah I know it’s not right but I’ll do it anyway” then some reason to why it is ok to break the law. We didn’t get caught is not a good excuse. I see how for some people selling a horse has become necessary but this is getting worse and worse as some people thing the rules don’t apply to them.

canteron

Visit site
If this goes on for months it will definitely become a welfare issue to sell some horses in some circumstances.
My horse transporter is allowed to carry on trading for this very reason, horses can’t be popped in a cupboard until a sunny day when this is all over, but take continuous money, care and commitment - and peoples circumstances are changing so rapidly - I can’t see the problem if done diligently.

Winters100

Visit site
Why do something that you know is against the law? The restrictions are there for a reason not just for fun. We are in this mess as everyone is saying “yeah I know it’s not right but I’ll do it anyway” then some reason to why it is ok to break the law. We didn’t get caught is not a good excuse. I see how for some people selling a horse has become necessary but this is getting worse and worse as some people thing the rules don’t apply to them.

100% agree. This is the whole problem, everyone thinks they are an exception. As for comparing to supermarkets this just does not work, buying food in a necessity, buying a horse is not.

doodle

Visit site
Most people I speak to have an excuse as to why it is ok for them to break rules. It is only me meeting one person so it’s ok. Only everyone is saying the exact same thing so we are getting nowhere. We HAVE to buy food. I understand some people will be in a very hard position where they need to sell a horse but really people do not NEED to buy a new horse.

Abi90

Visit site
I don’t think viewing a horse 1-1 is as bad as show centres running under 18 competitions. They are legally allowed to but I’ve no idea why. Surely under 18s are more risky as they always come with a plus 1 at least? So double the potential amount of people.

Michen

Visit site
Most people I speak to have an excuse as to why it is ok for them to break rules. It is only me meeting one person so it’s ok. Only everyone is saying the exact same thing so we are getting nowhere. We HAVE to buy food. I understand some people will be in a very hard position where they need to sell a horse but really people do not NEED to buy a new horse.
Errr well people can’t sell if others can’t buy ?

doodle

Visit site
No not as bad but still illegal. We are in tier 4 yet the local comp center is running a show for everyone next weekend. HOW that is possibly allowed I don’t know!

Abi90

Visit site
No not as bad but still illegal. We are in tier 4 yet the local comp center is running a show for everyone next weekend. HOW that is possibly allowed I don’t know!

It’s allowed for under 18s. Don’t know why but it is

Lady Jane

Visit site
Funnily enough I was in this position a few days ago. I didn't/don't intend to buy until March/April but spotted an ad for a horse that looked really suitable. I'm Tier 4, horse is Tier 3. The dealer is doing virtual viewings and hadn't decided if she would let me view anyway. So far I have stuck by the rules (and more) so decided viewing was completely out of the question. The horse looked perfect on the virtual viewing but I'm not ready to buy unseen just yet. The virtual viewing was for another customer, they just had another camera going for me. The dealer completely understood my position.
Come March/April I may need to get my mind around buying unseen from a reputable dealer - obviously 5 stage vet.
Let's hope come the Spring things are improving, it must be tough for people who make a living selling horses (and lots of others too).

Winters100

Visit site
Yes but it might be a necessity that the horse is sold.

Yes, and if someone said that they went to see a horse without delay because the owner simply could not afford to keep it until the rules are relaxed, that the horse was in dire danger of being neglected if not, then I might be more sympathetic, but this appears to be a case simply that the buyer and seller prefer not to wait.