Viewing horse - questions to ask

AdorableAlice

Visit site
It's asking for pre-knowledge of issues that are known deal-breakers. In front of a witness. Sets you up as someone not to be toyed with or fleeced.

Depends what is classed as an issue. Reading through the thread has been enlightening and is evidence that a lot of potential purchasers are looking for a bombproof unicorn.

HazuraJane

Visit site
Depends what is classed as an issue. Reading through the thread has been enlightening and is evidence that a lot of potential purchasers are looking for a bombproof unicorn.[/QUOTE
100% to the bombproof unicorn. lol. I suggested the internet search for a list of questions to get OP to familiarise themselves with what they'd ought to be asking.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
What have people seen when they turned up early?

I once saw the horse for sale taped off in a paddock on its own try to savage the other horses over the fence. I mean really savage. I didn't buy.

Another time, the one for sale was charging round the yard with a lead rope dangling. I bought that one, but someone else might not have wanted to see that kind of behaviour.

Advising a mum on buying a horse for a tall child, we turned up to find it drying off under lights with no sensible explanation for why it had needed washing. Mother bought that one, it lasted a week before it was returned.

AdorableAlice

Visit site

I once saw the horse for sale taped off in a paddock on its own try to savage the other horses over the fence. I mean really savage. I didn't buy.

Another time, the one for sale was charging round the yard with a lead rope dangling. I bought that one, but someone else might not have wanted to see that kind of behaviour.

Advising a mum on buying a horse for a tall child, we turned up to find it drying off under lights with no sensible explanation for why it had needed washing. Mother bought that one, it lasted a week before it was returned.

Heavy weight show hunter cantering on the lunge. I continued with the viewing as it was for myself rather than a third party. Asked for it to be trotted away and back. It towed the handler up the drive, turned and bit her on the trot back. I couldn’t see if it was straight or not so asked to go again. This time it got away from the handler, trotted straight and was unlevel. Must have knocked itself on the lunge was my comment to the vendor !

ihatework

Visit site

I did a summer season with a show jumper in my younger days. He sold a few that weren’t going to make the grade for big bucks to American amateurs who flew over.

Those horses were all worked hard in the morning then had water withdrawn and were on the walker until 30 mins before client arrived.

I always check for signs of recent hard work/dehydration now!

The daft thing was he wasn’t selling nutters! They were all horses I would ride straight from the stable myself. But it opened my eyes.

onemoretime

Visit site
Always have the horse vetted and have blood pulled. If you proceed with the purchase, be careful if seller hands you some bags of feed saying its for the change over. Take the feed but dont give it to the horse. A well know dealer caught me like this and the food was all laced with bute. We were able to get food tested as I had only fed 4 of the bags. Also had blood from vetting run - it was positive for bute!!

ihatework

Visit site
Always have the horse vetted and have blood pulled. If you proceed with the purchase, be careful if seller hands you some bags of feed saying its for the change over. Take the feed but dont give it to the horse. A well know dealer caught me like this and the food was all laced with bute. We were able to get food tested as I had only fed 4 of the bags. Also had blood from vetting run - it was positive for bute!!

I remember that seller. Quite shocking really given their professional involvement at the time. I remember the horse too, he was lovely - I saw his advert and was interested, did some internet stalking and smelled a rat. Such a shame, hope it worked out for him.

Kaylum

Visit site
Take someone with you and get them to video everything. The tacking up, the seller riding, you riding, the trot up. Then take home and watch. Also get digging about the history of the horse and the person selling it. Always do this as its surprising the lies that come to light.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
The catch 22 is that on the current market, if the horse is actually sound, reasonably priced and everything that it's described as, then delaying for multiple trials and detective work is likely to mean it's sold before you make up your mind.

Sheep

Visit site
Depends what is classed as an issue. Reading through the thread has been enlightening and is evidence that a lot of potential purchasers are looking for a bombproof unicorn.

One that farts rainbows and sh*ts gold nuggets hopefully.

Thanks again everyone, some really good hints and tips. I've got a lot of info to hand already...excited and nervous for the weekend now.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
The catch 22 is that on the current market, if the horse is actually sound, reasonably priced and everything that it's described as, then delaying for multiple trials and detective work is likely to mean it's sold before you make up your mind.

Very true, and the vendor that is selling a sound straight horse doesn't need to put up with or wait for fannying around purchasers.

For inexperienced purchasers it is vitally important to take a highly experienced horseman with them when trying horses and be willing to accept advice. Inexperienced purchasers/owners also need to accept that horses are not robots and the perfect horse does not exist.

If I wrote an advert for my 2 big cobs I could truthfully and honestly state that they are excellent and safe on the roads. Both are mannerly, schooled and balanced. Both will pass the biggest of traffic including the combine harvester. However, today the pair of them spooked at a tiny black Shitland pony galloping inside a roadside hedge and took a clattering, spark flying hold down lane for a few strides. Ted the Twit humped twice !, naughty Ted. Had either of those horses been sold recently how many inexperienced purchasers who would consider them as miss sold and unsafe ?

In reality, both are very short of work, both are turned out daily but are not moving around as much as normal due to the waterlogged swamp they are out in. the incident happened minutes after leaving the yard whilst both were still on their toes and no hills had been climbed.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Can horse be turned out with company/ mixed herds?
Ask to see where it is turned out/ stabled if not immediately obvious- crib biters/ weavers/ box walkers/ Wall gouges/ fence walkers can easily be hidden by popping them in a different box- I saw this when a stable door plaque blatantly wasn't correct!
If local, ask who Physio/ Farrier/ saddle fitter/ dentíst are and make enquiries if you know them. Similarly enquire at local RC if you can discreetly.

Kaylum

Visit site
My friend went to see many horses before she got her current one. She had videos sent to her which were edited and photos which were from years ago.

One dished terribly, another was very underweight, one very spooky even in the school, another which she nearly bought had had a leg injury and 6 months off was just coming back into work and they were already jumping it (found out by stalking as they lied to her and said she never had a problem). One was on sales livery as the owner was scared of it. One was doped.

The horse network is brilliant for finding out information and people are all too happy to tell you.

Take your time and a few days even before you leave a deposit. Trust nobody. I saw a post on fb that a woman had bought an unbroken 3 year old and someone had said is that such and such a name. And she said yes so the woman said hes 5 and I broke him in. So she bought a 3 year old unbroken, when hes 5 and broken.

Ask to see and check the passport and take a photo of it. If the passport is not available do not purchase the horse.

If there are other people coming to see it which is a good pressure tactic then let them come and see it. This is always used for everything that's sold its a good car sales stance.

onemoretime

Visit site
I remember that seller. Quite shocking really given their professional involvement at the time. I remember the horse too, he was lovely - I saw his advert and was interested, did some internet stalking and smelled a rat. Such a shame, hope it worked out for him.

He was put down in October 2017. He was retired on a farm in Yorkshire after being sold to a lady in Sussex by another well known dealer, he seriously injured this lady and bolted home on a 60mph road. The lady realised she could not sell him as he would kill someone his back was so bad so a friend of hers knew someone in Yorkshire who rehabs race horse and he went up there. By this time both hind suspensories had gone and a front tendon had blown. He gradually became more lame so they had he pts before the winter. A very sad tail but at least he was loved and looked after for the last few years.