Viewing questions when buying a ridden horse - have I forgotten anything?

maya2008

Visit site
Not bought anything other than feral youngsters or barely backed remedial projects in the past decade. Due to my son stealing the project I bought for myself (they’re bonding at the speed of light - her quirks keep her interesting and his confidence helps her cope) and my little mare struggling every summer to do the amount of work needed to ride out with all the babies, keep the older ones fit enough, keep herself competition fit etc, I need a second. Having lost a year to making my own, I now need to look for something I can get straight on and ride. It won’t be fancy, I don’t have much of a budget so it will be a ridden project rather than something easy and straightforward. It just needs to hack out with the sane adult ponies, so my NF can do her job nannying the young ones.

That said, what have I forgotten to think of at the viewing?
- Ask about vices (crib, windsuck, box walk, door kick)
- Ask about medical conditions (incl sweet itch, laminitis, dust allergy etc)
- Ask about traffic
- See it be caught
- Check handling incl brush, feet etc.
- Trot up (hard and soft ground), see on the lunge to check for soundness. Look carefully at muscling, check for soreness.
- See ridden, w/t/c circles and jump.
- Ride and check for response to aids, evenness of gait, any sign of the fizzy pain feeling rather than just excitement.
- Hack out, traffic and off road.

Last edited:

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Ask too about non 'vices' such as fence running, door banging, attachment etc.

What has horse travelled in, good to load, ok to leave on transport alone?

What bedding is used and why? (Does it pig on straw?)

I like to ask when am on site - so I can see facial reactions - what do you like most about Fuzzy, and then What irritates or annoys you most about them, (there must be something? Children hanging about often offer snippets lol)

I have a 2 x side of A4 typed on questions but it's not on my phone, will pop up later when home.

Skib

sites.google.com
Worth asking what exercise the horse has had that day and the prevous day. I rode at a RS yard where they also dealt in horses. The horses being viewed were taken out by staff for a fast hack before viewing, to reduce their energy levels when potential purchasers tried them.

Abacus

Visit site
You mention existing ongoing conditions but also ask about medical history, any previous lameness, colics, has it had abscesses (one or two is ok).

I like to know if they are more forward or more steady types - I know what suits me.

Does it hack alone, is it good in company, will it go first or last.

If relevant to you - has it hunted, jumped, competed, gone offsite to outings.

Does it load and travel well, in a trailer/ small box / big box. I like to know all of it as it’s relevant to selling on if you ever have to.

Good for farrier and vet.

neddy man

Visit site
What feed it has, and how long on this feed, hay or haylage, supplements etc, has it ever been clipped and how quiet was it, has it had its teeth done, does. When turned out can it be with mares and geldings and does it fret/ panic if left on it's own.

Last edited:

Kirstd33

Visit site
When I viewed a few last year I didn’t ask enough questions naively, I mean I asked all the pertinent ones but now I’d also want to now
- does it t turn out ok with mares/gelding/can be left alone
- does it need rugging and/or extra feeding over winter
- how often does it need riding to stay sane and fairly fit
- does it load ok on a trailer or lorry as applicable

I’m sure others will think of more good questions

Fransurrey

Visit site
Are they good with dogs/children?
Check tail carriage (off to one side may indicate previous injury which may/may not affect ridden work).
Can they be hacked alone/handled alone on the yard.

Cowpony

Visit site
Is it spooky. Does it nap. Does it jump (big red flag when they say it doesn't like jumping - could indicate an issue). Does it run out or put in a dirty stop when it doesn't fancy the jump. Will it do coloured poles. Is it happy to be out all year, in all weathers. Does it need a lot of rugging. How long do the rugs last. Does it get strong in any situations. What bit do they use. How does it behave when you walk into the stable and it's eating.

Some of these wouldn't put me off if everything else was fine, but I like to know what to expect.

Ooh yes, how does it load, especially in the type of vehicle you have.

ihatework

Visit site
I like to know how long they have owned it, what it has been used for and by what level of rider. Also understand what their management is - how much turnout/frequency and intensity of riding - if your way is different is it a horse that with cope/fit in?

I ask a general question and phrase it in a way that all horses have downsides/compromise - what do they think the negatives are with theirs?

Has the horse had other viewings, how many, any recent vettings and findings?

NoodlesHalloween

Visit site
I did have the question on routines, does it have a rigid routine and how does its routine change from summer to winter? I like life and my animals to be flexible so if there is a set rigid routine I would know I have to work to shift this slowly and gradually.

Patterdale

Visit site
If there’s anything to hide they’ll lie anyway.
I would ask in person, give very little info before viewing. Ask with other people around if possible, particularly children as people find it harder to get away with lying then. Ask random questions in and amongst to try catch them out.
Ask why they’re selling and watch their face. Try find out if they’ve replaced/are replacing the horse and if so what with. For example I remember looking for a child’s pony for a client, went to see one who had been outgrown, only for the groom at viewing to slip up and point out the new pony. Who was the same size. So they weren’t selling because it was outgrown….so why were they selling? Usually because it’s a problem.

Also ask open questions. Ask for references. Trap them a bit - has it been out competing lately? If so where? Which venues exactly? Which height? Do you mind if I ring them up ask how it was?
This is the point their face will either crumple or smile.

Sadly, most horse buying is detective work. Which brings me to the most important point - do loads of detective work beforehand. With only a passport name there are many people (like me 🤣) who can find the horse’s history back to what it’s mother had for tea the day it foaled, using only a mobile phone. It’s all usually out there.

Cates123

Visit site
I always ask if it loads (and you can request to see it load) because I travel alone with my horse so a poor loader is an absolute no - plus bad loaders are like bad wifi, they bring out the worst in you and will ruin the day, no matter how well they've behaved beforehand!! I also ask how independent the horse is - can he be brought in alone / turned out for short periods alone (ie whilst the other horse is being hacked/out at a rally etc). Not as important on a bigger yard but it is incredibly useful if they're not too fussed by a few hours on their own. These are both quite easy things to test at a viewing which is helpful.

SpeedyPony

Visit site
How are they to be shod/with the vet (needle shy etc).
If they're currently shod, why- if it's due to the amount of work they're doing, is there wear on the shoes to support this (obviously that's difficult to tell if they've only recently been shod).
If they're not shod, how much work are they in, how to the hooves stand up to roadwork, do they use boots.

maya2008

Visit site
I should probably add that my criteria are: sound, won’t actively try to kill me or anyone else, can be mounted without someone else holding it and ridden…and that’s about it. Questions very useful though (so thank you everyone!) as any quirks can be used to bargain the price down!

Going to look at one locally at the weekend. Cheap because they admitted it doesn’t catch well, has run off in the arena with the child and is too strong for a kid. It’s a breed I would expect to take the Michael so I figure there’s always a chance it’s just got the wrong rider (child in pics is tiny on it). We’ll see.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Check they have an arena or suitable surface to actually ride the horse and jump etc…you’d be amazed how many don’t! Then turn up and they say oh no sorry we can’t as the fields are too wet etc….

If they haven’t then ask them to hire a venue x

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I would always ask how is the horse in the field in winter!! I bought one that hates being out in the winter and it's hard work!! Its a question I never to ask.

neddy man

Visit site
Some questions need to be asked twice, first time early at viewing and if you are doubtful of the answer then ask later in the viewing but by slightly changing the wording, if there is a big pause before they answer they are thinking what lie they told earlier so they can repeat it, if they answer immediately and it's the same answer then it's probably true, if the 2 answers are different then you need to dig deeper to get the true answer. Record or write down phone conversations, if doubtful of an answer ask the same question at the viewing to compare answers, to be a good liar you have to have a good memory.

maya2008

Visit site
If there’s anything to hide they’ll lie anyway.
I would ask in person, give very little info before viewing. Ask with other people around if possible, particularly children as people find it harder to get away with lying then. Ask random questions in and amongst to try catch them out.
Ask why they’re selling and watch their face. Try find out if they’ve replaced/are replacing the horse and if so what with. For example I remember looking for a child’s pony for a client, went to see one who had been outgrown, only for the groom at viewing to slip up and point out the new pony. Who was the same size. So they weren’t selling because it was outgrown….so why were they selling? Usually because it’s a problem.

Also ask open questions. Ask for references. Trap them a bit - has it been out competing lately? If so where? Which venues exactly? Which height? Do you mind if I ring them up ask how it was?
This is the point their face will either crumple or smile.

Sadly, most horse buying is detective work. Which brings me to the most important point - do loads of detective work beforehand. With only a passport name there are many people (like me 🤣) who can find the horse’s history back to what it’s mother had for tea the day it foaled, using only a mobile phone. It’s all usually out there.
For all those reasons I think I don’t actually mind that my son stole my mare and it’s me who is having to find a ridden pony. My mare might be just backed, but she’s sweet, kind and there are no surprises lurking.

As an aside, what would people pay for a 15yo 13.2hh that won’t catch, runs off with children and is bolshy to handle on the ground? I could get a just backed youngster of similar size, going sweetly, easy to catch and handle, for £2k (and have seen a 14yo mare of similar size that is easy to handle at least for £2k) so thinking less than that? I think they are desperate to get rid, based on the info I have!

Last edited:

Abacus

Visit site
For all those reasons I think I don’t actually mind that my son stole my mare and it’s me who is having to find a ridden pony. My mare might be just backed, but she’s sweet, kind and there are no surprises lurking.

As an aside, what would people pay for a 15yo 13.2hh that won’t catch, runs off with children and is bolshy to handle on the ground? I could get a just backed youngster of similar size, going sweetly, easy to catch and handle, for £2k (and have seen a 14yo mare of similar size that is easy to handle at least for £2k) so thinking less than that? I think they are desperate to get rid, based on the info I have!
Personally I don’t think I’d be paying anything much unless it’s exceptionally talented at the thing I want it to do - not at that age and size. Generally you want a 13.2 to be ok with children. Why not buy the youngster?

Flyermc

Visit site
I think my main question would be - has the horse always had these issues or is it a new thing? Also what is the pony's postives (this will add value) and the other ponies you mentioned in the 2k comparison have other issues

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Remember your A B C.

A: Accept nothing you're told; B: Believe nothing you're told; C: Check everything you're told.

And I always say add on: D: don't ever, whatever the excuse given, get on it without seeing it ridden first; E: Expect the best but prepare for the worst; and F: F for Friend. Always without exception take a friend with you. Two sets of eyes always better than one, and you need someone there who can look at things objectively.

I always aim to arrive at a viewing say 20mins early: you can see a surprising lot in that time. e.g. horse out being lunged as you're rocking up the drive, then you see it in the stable - slightly damp - and are told "it hasn't done anything today and we've just washed it down as it rolled in some poo". Yeaph, sure thing.

maya2008

Visit site
Personally I don’t think I’d be paying anything much unless it’s exceptionally talented at the thing I want it to do - not at that age and size. Generally you want a 13.2 to be ok with children. Why not buy the youngster?
It’s 15min away, so worth a look. If it just needs an adult rider, could be a nice pony (and we have the facilities to deal with issues with being caught). Current owners apparently paid £2.5k but were not aware of the catching issues or the running off issues when they bought it.

The closest young one is related to the one we lost and husband said no. So it’s trek across the country or wait for another to come up. For a young one too, I’d want 14.2ish because it’ll be here forever.

I think my main question would be - has the horse always had these issues or is it a new thing? Also what is the pony's postives (this will add value) and the other ponies you mentioned in the 2k comparison have other issues
Apparently it has always struggled with a less confident rider - they were contacted by previous previous owners after they bought it. Described as taking confidence from the rider.

I sort of expect to rock up and find it’s in pain somewhere, but there’s always the chance it isn’t, and we’ve not got far to travel.
£250? Maybe. But actually if it’s ok hacking and traffic proof £1000!
Supposedly is good with traffic, and at hacking in company.

maya2008

Visit site
Well…it wasn’t quite what the ad suggested it was. At a guess, I would suspect pony was feral well into adulthood and has regressed with the change of home to current owners. Was passported in 2021 despite being born in 2008, history as far as I can trace is that he came from a pony sales in 2021, backed either just before the sales or just after, turned away, ridden successfully by an older teenager for six months in 2023 then sold on to current owners. Vaccs in current passport all date to 2023. I don’t think his feet have ever been done, he doesn’t know how to pick up the back ones and they don’t look tidy. Takes a 15.5” saddle 🤦‍♀️.

Acts feral around new people, despite having been ridden successfully. Owner couldn’t trot it up - it ran off. So chances of vetting it are nil. You can apparently ride it if you herd it into a stable first, and it likes being ridden, but will spook and dump the rider from time to time, then refuse to be caught. Prefers adults to children.

Sweet pony, leant into my shoulder for a cuddle. But it would be time and trust before anyone could hack him out (because what if you got off to open a gate, he spooked and ran?), and we didn’t make it to seeing him ridden today. He was so spooked by us, as new people, that it wasn’t going to happen.

They don’t want much for him, but there is the risk that a) he’ll never be what we need, b) there is pain somewhere we can’t check for (moves ok when running off though!). It’s also yet another that is at least acting feral and I really wanted tame - annoying, won’t catch, bolshy tame would be fine. Just tame and won’t panic at everything!