Views on Gypsy Cobs

chickeninabun

www.wix.com
I love them too!!:)
I have my own, but she's not a coloured, so maybe not a "true" gypsy cob, but I think she's a pretty good stamp...

With hair...
126.jpg

148.jpg

Without (quite as much, she still has her mane, although you can't see it here) hair...
Photo0043.jpg

Jingleballs

Visit site
Pros: they can be the most sweet, gentle of horses and can be ideal for a novice, plus be well up to weight. You can hunt all day on them and they'll stay well right to the end and beyond. They're good doers and will live on air, so mega cheap to keep.

Cons: if not handled right they can be right bvggers both in hand and under saddle, and can be very rude if this isn't dealt with. They may look like plods but are frequently not!!! And they're VERY big to start an argument with!

Agree with this. I have a gypsy cob who is, in my eyes, an absolute gem - turns his hooves to everything and is such a gentle wee soul (most of the time)! He can however also be bargy, push, rude etc but never with me or with those who he know's won't let him away with it - he las literally walked over the top of a few novice handles and has damaged a couple of stables doors by attempting to barge through them.

nikkiportia

Visit site
I do love a Gypsy cob, great to look at when they're all tarted up. Not quite so attractive in the winter :D
IME, they can be either either very polite and sweet, or VERY bargy and rude, depending on the owner, lol!
I have had one on loan in the past, but they don't suit me personally. I prefer something with longer legs and stride ;)
Great for hobby owners for hacking and as allrounders, and look fab in the show ring too!!
They don't seem to be prone to many ailments, tough little beggers, but they are a nightmare to maintain with all that hair :D :D

dibbin

Visit site
Not a huge fan, they're beautiful to look at but my friend has one who is borderline sociopathic :p she's kind of put me off lol.

[59668]

Visit site
I have one and would never have anything else now!

He's really not a plod if you know how to ride, but I can also put 3 year old children on him bareback, or let people who have only ridden a few times ride him and he will look after them.

Here he is:

wwwquantumphotographiccom_1_101008.jpg

Photo053.jpg

Smile_and_Wave

Visit site
like all horses they have thier place i wouldnt have one myself as i dont generally like the feathery coloured types but they have thier uses they are just far too many of them

skewby

Visit site
Pros: they can be the most sweet, gentle of horses and can be ideal for a novice, plus be well up to weight. You can hunt all day on them and they'll stay well right to the end and beyond. They're good doers and will live on air, so mega cheap to keep.

Cons: if not handled right they can be right bvggers both in hand and under saddle, and can be very rude if this isn't dealt with. They may look like plods but are frequently not!!! And they're VERY big to start an argument with!
Hehe yeah well put! And agree with the last sentence - and they know it too ;)

jendie

www.ramsgrovebeardies.com
I love mine. She is an ex riding school horse, ex because she was expelled. She became very intolerant of novices and likes to be ridden with the correct aides. If you do this she is super and will do everything you ask. She has a heart of gold and is a very genuine horse. I'll never part with her but things were a tad bumpy at the beginning.

Feathered

Visit site
I do love a Gypsy cob, great to look at when they're all tarted up. Not quite so attractive in the winter :D

Thats one reason I like them! The total contrast, how they can go from looking like a scruffy mud monster then with a bit of shampoo and a lot of elbow grease they look a million dollars! :D can't wait to scrub my swamp pony up in the spring. To me, a bay TB looks pretty much the same all the time.

Loving everyones pics, they are all gorgeous :)

Brandy

Visit site
I love to see them, but don't think I could be doing with all that white and feathers and hair to keep looking nice.

I had one once, bought a colopured cob, from a gypsy, then clipped him out and hogged etc!!! (i know I know don;t shoot me) it did improve his look 100% though, looked like a smart litle show cob and sooooo easy to maintain!

starbar

Visit site
Here's my 2! I liked them so much I got a baby one to play with!

DSC002761.jpg
[/IMG]

and Desmond....who is actually Blue and White but greys out in winter :)

DSC01717.jpg

sorry if the pictures are massive....I can't resize them!

diet2ride

Visit site
oh my look at all those daz white bits, are you sure you havent photoshop'd them lol...

seriously some gorgeous horses on this thread... i was never a fan until i got Nas (main reason was weight carrying ability) he has completly changed my mind. he has his faults and it sound like he isnt much different to some mentioned on here, he gives the girls on the yard the run around. but if you tell him off effectivly he is as good as gold.... they wanted to lead him in in a chifney... i went mental saying he,s a cob for god sake you cant get more geniune than him (i,m happy for them to tell him off).

He is soo gentle with my lil boy (4yrs and has no sense when it comes to animals, just like his dad). love my boys

i now feel guilty seeing all those feathers and long manes, i,ve just pulled his and clipped his legs...

http://www.youtube.com/user/onlineinquirer#p/a/u/2/E4qLcBEEd1k

www.diet2ride.com

Spudlet

Visit site
I like them very much, but you do need to be firm but fair as with any horse. Also, they suffer dreadfully from being overweight - I'm afraid that many people seem to have lost sight of what a fit cob should look like because there are so many fat ones about:( Even on this forum, I'm sad to say. They should be tough little horses with no need of pampering in terms of feed, thick rugs etc - this breed was designed to live by the roadside and pull the family bow-top, and do it on fairly little extra feed etc.

I would happily have one:)

sprite1978

Visit site
I went to a hunter trial a couple of years ago. Everyone was there with very polished, shiny sport horses and hunters. Everyone of these i saw had refusals or ducked out etc. Then a young girl appeared with a very muddy, scruffy little gypsy cob - lots of tangled feather and a mane down to its chest. This horse flew around without batting an eyelid, and cleared every jump. - made me smile.

Tinkerbee

Visit site
Can't stand the "concept".

If it wasn't bought off a gypsy at some point IMO it's not a gyspy cob... No doubt someone will cope out with the breed standard but it seems that anything coloured with a bit of feather is a "Gypsy Vanner". :rolleyes:

There are some lovely "ones" about though.

Also, I tend to find they are owned by a certain type of lady...less said about that the better! :eek: :D

Last edited:

[59668]

Visit site
Can't stand the "concept".

If it wasn't bought off a gypsy at some point IMO it's not a gyspy cob... No doubt someone will cope out with the breed standard but it seems that anything coloured with a bit of feather is a "Gypsy Vanner". :rolleyes:

There are some lovely "ones" about though.

Also, I tend to find they are owned by a certain type of lady...less said about that the better! :eek: :D

Well that's ok then, cos mine actually came from travellers over in Ireland!

Ooh do tell, what type of lady! I want to know if I'm typical!

ElliePinza

www.chigride.co.uk
I think they can be very special, like any breed you just have to find them!

This is Smartie - Gypsy Cob with a clip and schooling XD

5405530802_ff0d092da7.jpg

Oh and christi, stunning beastie!

Last edited:

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
I like them very much, but you do need to be firm but fair as with any horse. Also, they suffer dreadfully from being overweight - I'm afraid that many people seem to have lost sight of what a fit cob should look like because there are so many fat ones about:( Even on this forum, I'm sad to say. They should be tough little horses with no need of pampering in terms of feed, thick rugs etc - this breed was designed to live by the roadside and pull the family bow-top, and do it on fairly little extra feed etc.

I would happily have one:)

im so paranoid about my lad, not having had a native for around 14 years.. poor beast is in a light weight weight, with no neck on winters pickings of grass and gets a hand full of chaff if i have had him in to ride.. I refuse to have a fattie..

Sparkles

Visit site
75340_1520149318056_1064231104_31210311_5177722_n.jpg

150516_10150110995536753_708806752_7242910_748116_n.jpg

36842_446908811752_708806752_5618679_4213871_n.jpg

36842_446908826752_708806752_5618682_3995006_n.jpg

That's our young hairy. On a yardful of hunters :) Gets the most attention out of them all! Can do anything with him. Hack him, school him, jump him [within reason...he is hench!], ride and lead, do rounds on him checking the youngstock, leading youngstock from etc. Sure he'd happily drive and be able to pull quite a load too! Can put anybody on him, anytime, anywhere. Not kick along, not too gassy...just the complete 'Mr.Dependable'. Can send 11 year olds off on their own out hacking on him. Absolutely anything. You sit there and whatever ride you have on him, you always have no worries and just enjoy it! What more could you want from him :)

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
A bit of a random post but I'd love to hear peoples views on gypsy cobs, also known as gypsy vanners. I have one myself (called Gypsy believe it or not!) he's 13.2 and an extremely good jumper.
What's everyones views on them? :D

I love them, gypsy horses are my favourite breed, my mare is a gypsy horse, purchased from an irish gypsy back in 1992, she has been a super star mostly, she has done very little wrong in our coming up to 19years together. She is a real genuine mare and I would get another gypsy horse in an instant

bex1984

Visit site

*sniggers* I know exactly the sort you mean!! I REALLY hope I am not one of them though!

Murphy is cob x Fell pony, and is a superstar, but can also be a pillock ;) He is a show off, can be pushy if he thinks he can get away with it, but would never push someone (ridden or on the ground) who couldn't handle it, he is the most stubborn beast in the world, and is the bid solid rock I can hide behind, snuggle up to and cry in his mane. He's the best. He jumps, can pull some half decent flatwork out of the hat if he gets the urge, and takes over if my nerves get the best of me.

I agree that an awful lot of them have a weight problem, they should be worked hard, muscled up, and fed correctly.

Some Murphy pics:
DSC_0249.jpg

DSC_0092-2.jpg

DSC_0337.jpg

DSC_0786.jpg

Janette

Visit site
My girl was bred by travellers, so according to some posters here, she's a gypsy cob.
But she isn't.
She's a coloured native, being a cob X Dales....

P1040030.jpg

I understood that a 'Gypsy Cob' had to have featehr AND spats (feather on the front of the leg), and a certain measurement of bone.
It's also the conformation - the short coupled, apple bummed pony with a powerful arched neck.

Star has some of these attributes, but I don't consider her to be a true 'Gypsy Cob'. She doesn't have enough feather, bone, her feet are too small and her back is too long. But she WAS bred by travellers.....

Last edited:

angelish

Visit site
i so thorougly enjoyed all your pics i thought it rude not to reply :D

i don't have one but i think they are gorgeous and i especialy like the baby one ,how cute is that aaaww :)
i also apreciate how much work goe's into getting them clean as have helped a friend and also groomed for someone with heavy horses (shires) with white hairy legs :eek:

good on you all for being proud of all your hairys and so you should be there lush :D

Kallibear

Visit site
Love them, just wish they were easier to find in a slightly taller size (15hh cob's are like hens teeth!)

Nice ones are amazing, rude ones are a pain in them bum. They should be forwards and athletic, willing and gentle, and safe and sensible.

Also, I tend to find they are owned by a certain type of lady...less said about that the better!

*Double snigger* And they generally own the rude ones ;)

Echo what some else said about fat cobs: they are a little TOO good-doing, as demostrated by a couple of horses pictured on this thread;) I think it really ruins their looks: theres nothing nicer than a really fit, lean, muscled cob. Elliepinza's mare is perfect :D

Makes me laught when people say they're usually bright: my boy is possibly the thickest pony I've ever met. Gentle, affectionate and willing, but god is he fink. :eek:

poniesinsnownov2010095edit.jpg

poniesinsnownov2010178edit.jpg

commonride101edit.jpg

Foalie_woalie_005.jpg

He spends most of his time filthy :rolleyes: but he does sparkly white too:

almondridingclub2010016edit.jpg

piperormiston025EDIT.jpg