views on riding after being shod

How clean is my house?

• Total voters

allijudd

Visit site
i put its ok for a short while and i have just checked with my farrier toady on that point for an impresssionable teenager......and it is ok depending on the condition of the feet...in particlaur she is to ride on grass today cuase hes a bit footie

lordflynn

Visit site
I asked my farrier this last week after mine had his first set of fronts on. He said 'you should be able to get on and ride straight away, if a farrier tells you different its because he knows he's not done a good enough job'.

so I went for a short hack-he has great feet though.
smile.gif

Fairynuff

Visit site
If horse has normal healthy feet a quiet hack round the block isnt going to damage him.I certainly wouldnt recommend screaming round a x country course or a quick trot through the bog though. Common sense is worth its weight in gold. M.
smile.gif

Happytohack

Visit site
Showing my age here
grin.gif
. Years ago, before we had travelling farriers, we used to hack to the local forge, which was a 1.5 hour hack, have the horses shod and hack back again. Quite a few endurance horses lose shoes on rides and have to be shod during competitions and obviously have to carry on. My farrier would always tell me if he thought the horse shouldn't be ridden straightaway - otherwise I would be able to ride immediately.

samsaccount

Visit site
The majority of the time my horse is ridden once he is shod, unless I do not have time etc. But I personally think that unless you have let your horses feet get into a bad state or they naturally have bad feet and you have a decent farrier then there should be nothing stopping you from riding once they have been shod.

JessPickle

Visit site
ours are always ridden straight after being shod, farrier says its fine, and I dont see why a day would really make any difference,

MagicMelon

Visit site
Same here too - Ive never even thought about it! If a horse has been shod for the FIRST ever time then Id give him a day or two off just to get used to them but otherwise I see no problem......?!

AlexAndJess

Visit site
Straight away. Had both of mine shod this morning, and one was ridden for a hack straight after and was absolutely fine! The other i would usually give a few days as shes had problems with her feet before
smile.gif

Puppy

Visit site
Echo HH, have never heard of it NOT being ok to ride following a shoeing. Why on earth wouldn't you?!
confused.gif

If I've got the horse in to be shod, I'll usually groom and get my tack ready whilst she's being done and them head straight out.

Totally confused as to why you wouldn't?!
confused.gif

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
If he's just been shod then ride him, no problem. If there is a problem then sack your farrier because he hasn't done the job right.

Your YO must have got out of bed the wrong side because he's talking pants!

M

madabout2

You should be able to ride immediately and it shouldn't make any difference - unless your horse has a problem in which case your farrier would tell you.

After all there are many instances of competition horses being shod imeediately befor competeing or before travelling. After all horses don't lose a shoe at the "right" moment do they?