Views on this pony sanctuary pony...

Ginger Bear

Visit site
I've been hunting for a pony for my 10 yr old as her current loan has now gone back to the owner.. Have viewed 8 so far, only one that was perfect and then they gave it to a friend on full loan on their yard..so missed out on her. All the rest have been too old, too young, too much for a child etc etc..

Have also signed up for a suitable one from our local sanctuary and went last night to see a 13'3 chunky, 11 yr old, new forest cross mare.. She hadn't been ridden for well over a year since coming back to the sanctuary from her last foster home..and she is fat, and I mean fat!! So we put her on the lunge first of all she had a few fun little bucks, didn't go all that mad though.. Then the lady from the sanctuary got on her while I held her & she didn't put a foot wrong! She is such a sweet little thing, very quiet & so far so good.. BUT..in her last foster home she had to be returned as they we stabled by a lot of rape seed fields which made her wheezy & have a cough.. Since being back at the sanctuary she hasn't been on any medication & has been fine.. They said they just give her ventapulmin if she's ever wheezy.. We are not near any rape seed just hay fields.. Would you be prepared to take this on? What do you think? The sanctuary have offered me to go down there a few times per week for the next few weeks to get her fit and get to know her.. I'm only dinky anyway so no problem me riding her.

Supertrooper

Visit site
I certainly wouldn't write her off. I'd want to go back and ride her a few more times in certain situations ie school, field and hacking and hack her out without company.

Be prepared that she may change when she looses weight. Ours was kept fat in his last home to keep him quiet!! He went through a naughty phase when he was feeling fitter till he learnt that we wern't having it!

Ginger Bear

Visit site
That's what I'm thinking.. But I wouldn't like to give her a home and then send her back.. I managed to get in touch with the last fosterer as it turned out to be a friend of a friend and she had nothing but good things to say.. Apparently she was a fab little jumper too and the girl was also 10 when she got her.. She isn't too far from us and asked if we do take her if she can come and see her as she still visits her at the sanctuary and is still very much attached to her.. Her donation fee is £350 so nothing major.. She doesn't require shoes or anything ... I just can't get over how fat and unfit she is.. Lol.. She even has a bit of a crested neck!!! The sanctuary just don't seem to have the staff to get them ridden and exercised..

rockysmum

Visit site
Sounds lovely and deserves a good home. As someone has already said she is a loan and could go back if necessary. Its also in the santuaries interest to find her the right place, not like a seller who might not tell you everything.

Fosterdown

Visit site
I would take her up on her offer and go back to see the pony, hack it out ride it in open space and on the roads, rapeseed can cause breathing issues in horses but as you dont live near any you should be ok, I hope it works out

Booboos

Visit site
I'd be more worried about the lack of fitness. Realistically she needs to spend 3-4 weeks at walk before she can start trotting and it may be the best part of the summer before she is fit enough for more work. So partly your child will miss out on this summer with her, and partly you won't really know if she is suitable until she is fit and in proper work.

On the other hand she is a loan pony so it's more straight-forward to return her if she turns out to be unsuitable and you can ride her which is a big bonus as you can assess her temperament before your child gets on.

I'd say go for it!

Ginger Bear

Visit site
I'm not too worried that she will turn into a nightmare as have spent last night speaking to her previous fosterer who is now about 14 yrs old.. She hacked her alone, in company, was fine being turned out with other horses, good to hack, took her cross country etc etc so feeling quite good about it.. I was just happy to see some potential yesterday. I don't think it would phase my 10 yo taking it slow to get her fit because she really wanted a rescue pony to love.. She's not into competing big time.. Just likes to hack, school and a few small local shows.. She's a competent little rider too.

wilder

www.parkviewsaddlery.com
my section d used to get allergies and roundabout april time he would get wheezy we used to give him some ventipulmin from the vets and by the time he finished the tub he was fine for the rest of the year, and this only happened when they were rape in the fields next door