Vile vile weather

lizziebell

Visit site
Please tell me I’m not the only one who hasn’t been able to ride for almost a week due to the never ending gale force winds, horizontal rain and storm, after storm, after storm !

Currently the only ridden horse is the young one whose going through his teenage stage, so this weather is not conducive to training nor sensible safe hacking behaviour 🙈.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’ve not ridden either, too busy but tbh even if I wasn’t I rely on my neighbour to ride out with and there’s no way she would be riding in this.
OH has just messaged to say at home they have no power and there are trees down. He’s finding big grain trailers to put in front of my stables to try and protect them from blowing away 😫

Peglo

Visit site
Mine were out at 6 this morning and still out now as I’m at work. 🫣☹️ They would’ve likely have been happy being in at 12. Big one was pretty grouchy first thing so wish me luck getting them in. We’ve had over 70mph winds and rain and sleet all afternoon. I am feeling pretty terrible but will blame work.

BackintheSaddle1983

Visit site
I managed to school mine on Boxing Day but that’s been the only nice day we’ve had! It was a week before that since I rode and probably won’t be able to again for the next week. Friday looks ok here but of course, I’m busy… so frustrating

claracanter

Visit site
Mine are all in today and that includes the ones that live out 24/7. Ground can’t take much more rain. As for the 3 that are ridden, one is sadly lame : vet out tomorrow. He’s older so is great to hack with our other 2 silly 6 year olds as we don’t have an arena plus the Range Rover has been at the garage for weeks now awaiting a new engine. Hacking is our only option but not on 2 fresh 6 year olds. We’ll give them some time off whilst the weather sorts itself out as we don’t want to get decked in the high winds.

suestowford

Visit site
I don't ride the two here as they are both elderly. But I am mightily sick of being out while it's blowing and raining all the time. So are they, as when I went up to dose them & give them their dinners, they had put themselves away in the stables. I leave the doors open and they can come & go as they please, and judging by the mess in the stables they'd been there most of the day. I don't blame them one bit.

tatty_v

Visit site
Mine have been out every day but we are lucky to have a lot of free draining land. That said, there’s still mud in the gateways and everywhere is squelchy. It’s me who is thoroughly fed up. I just want it to be dry and not blowing a gale. I don’t care if it’s too cold to ride, I just need less rain!

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I have manged to ride most days. I timed it just right today which makes a change!! I hacked out just after the heavy rain and before the 50mph winds hit! Horses aren't going out much, an hour here and there to stretch legs, fields are under water.

Ceriann

Visit site
I rode yesterday but games off today and tomorrow again. I’m riding once or twice a week with recent weather issues - where we are is exposed so wind and rain just isn’t much fun and we get lots of fog. Also reduced turnout as so wet, which makes riding a bit more interesting when it’s not good weather (and mine is super lovely and sensible). Shortest day has been though so only way is up!

catembi

Visit site
I have been riding every day, but decided against it this evening. Horizontal rain, howling a gale and Trev takes an extremely dim view of being made to work in anything wetter than drizzle. They have been out all day on the yard with access to stables & preferred to stand out in the rain. Why isn't it spring yet...?

Timelyattraction

Visit site
I managed to hack today, school yesterday and lunged on christmas day. She’s only getting 1 hour turnout a day as they keep escaping the fields to get in so i need to ride her luckily most the time she is good considering she’s 5 but the two days she didnt get turnout out made an interesting ride, we had some legs flying about in the sky (front and back 🤦‍♀️)

maya2008

Visit site
Have ridden most days. Today was hideous though. I don’t mind wind, my ponies honestly don’t care, but it was just too wet! Need to get back on tomorrow though, they run around and trash the field if not exercised!

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I've only ridden about 3 times in the past few weeks and lunged a couple of times.
Either been ill or the weather has been a bit hazardous. This is the first winter when I'm really not bothered about riding. Might be because I'm doing DIY for the first time.
It's just not fun in either Gale force winds or torrential rain - or both as it seems 😫

Wishfilly

Visit site
I've managed to ride around rain/wind, but not today! We could really do with a few dry days in a row to let the ground dry out a bit- but that doesn't look like it's coming any time soon.

I think the wet weather feels like it has lasted such a long time because a lot of the summer was miserable too!

SEL

Visit site
I think mine would have liked to stay in but I didn't like the look of the Ash tree across the road - at least in their field the big black poplar would fall away from them.

I rode the littlest cob this morning. She is the only one I would consider riding in high winds but even she knocked 20 mins off our usual time for that ride!!

Ali27

Visit site
This weather is just awful! I managed to have a lesson last Mon, hack on Wednesday, Sat and Sunday! Away for two days over Christmas and got back today and was determined to hack but I know my pony inside out and knew she would be fine! Brought all three in tonight as field so wet and they will have to stay in/ on yard for a couple of days until it stops raining! They’ve been out 24/7 mostly apart from in at night for a couple of weeks. Luckily I have a reasonable area of hard standing that they can wander around! Roll on Spring! The absolute worst Winter ever🙈