Vinnie update with pics and video- CC welcome

millitiger

Visit site
Have been plugging away with Vinnie, working on the adjustability in his canter and doing lots of polework to get him more relaxed and easier to ride when jumping.

Sessions with new trainer are going well, we are on the same wavelength about how to progress with Vinnie and he doesn't put any pressure on me to get after Vinnie or try and 'sort him out' if he comes out a bit sharp, which has happened a few times recently!
He is just feeling well and enjoying his work though, rather than being anxious now so I just let him canter around until we lose the tickle in his toes :)

Just had a short session today with mum as jump putter-upper and videographer, working on keeping him soft on the approach and over the fence and trying to keep my naughty shoulders back just before take off.
I don't jump him very big without trainer so only really jumped crosspoles today- he has the scope and height is never an issue for Vinnie; its all of the other stuff!
He is jumping around 1m in lessons now, still out of trot which can be a bit daunting for me:rolleyes: but definitely not him!

Video and photos below, still all a bit green and gangly but he is now looking for his fences, waiting for me and much more relaxed in the air so I am v.pleased.

Taking him for sj arena hire next weekend at a local EC; will probably just jump a crosspole course but it's more to get him out and about and seeing some new fillers.

All comments and CC welcomed- you can be as harsh as you like! :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk42YAJWyh8

551962_10151411808749152_1769100437_n.jpg

221885_10151411809164152_1674989022_n.jpg

304784_10151411809314152_126792780_n.jpg

542475_10151411809454152_916719855_n.jpg

293183_10151411809549152_2065816264_n.jpg

292094_10151411809779152_1001180596_n.jpg

Matafleur

Visit site
I really like this horse, he's very smart even though he is flippin' enormous!! I think you do well with him as he is so big.

No real CC from me other than to give with your hands a bit more and maybe keep your body a bit more upright and off his neck. Doesn't appear to affect his jump though - very nice especially as he is still so green. :)

Bryndu

Visit site
First off - lovely horse and you ride him well - I would just suggest you follow through with your hands and allow him to stretch his neck over the fence...sometimes the hand is fixed on his neck...

Second off - your mum is excellent with the camera...full marks to her.. :)

Best of luck
Bryndu

FreddiesGal

Visit site
Great pics! Like others have said, just try to reach your hands slightly further up towards his ears, and have your upper body a tad more upright as opposed to 'laying' on his neck. :)

millitiger

Visit site
I really like this horse, he's very smart even though he is flippin' enormous!! I think you do well with him as he is so big.

No real CC from me other than to give with your hands a bit more and maybe keep your body a bit more upright and off his neck. Doesn't appear to affect his jump though - very nice especially as he is still so green. :)

Thank you :) He is very light on his feet for his size luckily.

I have noticed my naughty fixed hands too :( Have almost mastered the art of not taking off before him but have now got a new habit of 'flipping' on take off and rotating over my hands- must try harder!

I think perhaps my fixed hands are why he sometimes chucks his head at me on landing- will try and release my hands more and keep my bum closer to the saddle!

First off - lovely horse and you ride him well - I would just suggest you follow through with your hands and allow him to stretch his neck over the fence...sometimes the hand is fixed on his neck...

Second off - your mum is excellent with the camera...full marks to her.. :)

Best of luck
Bryndu

Thank you, he is so lovely, we're really pleased with him :)
He used to jump a bit 'peacock-like' with his head up but now he is dropping it and jumping with his nose out more, I need to adapt my naughty hands which you rightly point out are fixed on top of his neck.

I am very grateful to mum for helping with jumps/videoing as it's so useful- she is much better with the camera now as we had an infamous incident when I first bought it and she was confused about the on/off button- we had lots of footage of the arena floor and every time I jumped she turned it off not on! :)

He is gorgeous, and for a big horse he gets in lovely and deep yet stays careful, very exciting for the future :D

Thanks- if anything his tendency is to get too deep hence the placing pole to help him get the right spot.
You are right, he is super careful- hates to touch a pole and is really athletic and quick thinking to get out of trouble if he thinks he might touch one.
Makes it so much easier to have a horse with a conscience who wants to leave the poles in the cups :)

He is stunning!

Vinnie agrees with you- the yard has just had mirrors put in one of the arenas and when I first took him in there he spent the whole time admiring himself and every time he had a break on a long rein he took himself down that end and just stood and stared at himself! :D

Great pics! Like others have said, just try to reach your hands slightly further up towards his ears, and have your upper body a tad more upright as opposed to 'laying' on his neck. :)

Agreed- I don't know why I think his neck looks so tempting to lie down on it! I am sure he would prefer me not to try and have a head to head with him mid-air so must try harder!

No CC to make - what the hell do I know about showjumping? Just to say he is flipping gorgeous!

We probably have the same level of showjumping knowledge tbh, I just bumble about and thankfully, even though he can be as sharp as a sharp thing sometimes, Vinnie is kind enough to put up with my bumbling :)