Vintage horse book shops?

twobearsarthur

Visit site
Does anyone know of a good vintage book shop that sells old equestrian books?

I collect old showing books and there’s just a couple that I can’t find anywhere online. Mainly “Riding in the show ring” by Simone and Carol Gilbert Scott.

TIA

stangs

Visit site
Keep an eye out for equestrian book bundles on ebay too, you’ll often find a gem being sold with books that the seller thinks are more likely to sell

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Other place you can ask is the museum of the horse.
Whilst still training back up in Hackney in 1987 we used to catch the bus after training in cordwainers college and go to Allens bookshop on our way home. You would have loved that one !
We spent hours in there and always came out with another book or three, I have some of the Allens own collection, now sadly long out of print.
If you haven't already done so, try contacting the museum directly and asking where you might find a copy of the book you seek.
Here's link to the museum's article about Allens and where I used to go. Good luck, Oz

https://www.museumofthehorse.org/j-a-allen-the-horsemans-booksho/

reynold

Visit site
Allens - I remember them. The first 'horse' book I was given came from there in 1962 when I was just starting proper riding lessons. It was Equitation by Wynmalen. I still have it somewhere in good condition as I used to cover all my horse and cook books with self-adhesive film to protect them.

Also brings back memories of another London horse shop - Giddens - my first horse's saddle came from them and my last horse's bridle came from their sale in 1996.

Spotherisk

Visit site
Other place you can ask is the museum of the horse.
Whilst still training back up in Hackney in 1987 we used to catch the bus after training in cordwainers college and go to Allens bookshop on our way home. You would have loved that one !
We spent hours in there and always came out with another book or three, I have some of the Allens own collection, now sadly long out of print.
If you haven't already done so, try contacting the museum directly and asking where you might find a copy of the book you seek.
Here's link to the museum's article about Allens and where I used to go. Good luck, Oz

https://www.museumofthehorse.org/j-a-allen-the-horsemans-booksho/

thank you so much for posting that link, utterly enthralling!

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Allens - I remember them. The first 'horse' book I was given came from there in 1962 when I was just starting proper riding lessons. It was Equitation by Wynmalen. I still have it somewhere in good condition as I used to cover all my horse and cook books with self-adhesive film to protect them.

Also brings back memories of another London horse shop - Giddens - my first horse's saddle came from them and my last horse's bridle came from their sale in 1996.

Yes, Giddens, we went round their workshop when training and one of my teachers also worked there before becoming our teacher.A friend from college also went on to work there for a while. So many memories......

Last edited:

humblepie

Visit site
Years ago we had a fabulous second hand book shop in our town - used to go there often as worked nearby. Got some absolute gems of horse books in there. Sadly not many such shops now (or room in my house for more books).

Kaylum

Visit site
I often get old horse books given to sell for charity. Let me know what people are looking for and I will keep an eye out.

Antique Horse

New User
Visit site
Hi, I am Sally Mitchell from the Museum of the Horse and thank you to those who have recommended us. We do have a selection of vintage and antique equestrian books. I would like to clarify that we are NOT museumofthehorse.org, which is an on line only museum that persists in stating there is no Museum of the Horse in England. Not sure why! Those of you who have visited will know that is incorrect. We are the real thing with nine large roomfuls of all sorts of curious items and we do also have a selection of books for sale. Our link is sallymitchell.com/museum If you are able to, do come and visit us. We even have a coffee shop in the courtyard and plenty of free parking. We are just two minutes off the North bound A1 at Tuxford. Follow us on facebook https://www.facebook.com/horsemuseum

Attachments

• gallery in bloom web.jpg
    gallery in bloom web.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 2

Antique Horse

New User
Visit site
I second The Museum of the Horse at Tuxford , where Sally Mitchell has an impressive assortment of old books . We d not expected that, and came away with far too many!
Thank you! I would just like to point out that we have nothing to do with Museumofthehorse.org which is an on line museum only. We are the bricks and mortar museum with lots to see! Our link is https://www.sallymitchell.com/museum and facebook https://www.facebook.com/horsemuseum Do come and see us again!