"Vintage" hunt coat, what's it worth?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I've got a 25 year old heavyweight version of this coat with Tattershall check linin, and I can't decide what to do with it. If it's worth serious money I'll include it in my stuff that's going to the RDA, but I need to give them a guide price. If it's not worth that much I'll keep it in the wardrobe as a pet and stroke it now and then while I reminisce over the size of the hedges it's jumped in its life.

Does anyone have a clue?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Best way of knowing something's worth is to auction it. You can always donate the money.

Thanks, but it would crucify me to part with all my stuff one item at a time to buyers who might start picking fault. It either goes with a guide price in the bootload of other things or it stays as a pet in the cupboard.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I went to a farm sale a few years ago down in Somerset. There were all the hunting things from, presumably the old farmer who had died. I was nearly in tears. Apart from quite a lot of tack and the Hunt Map of the area there were his boots, the whip and a couple of coats one had obviously seen much rain and thick hedges as it was well worn. I could imagine him sitting out in the rain in this coat, and pushing through thick woods and I wondered how many hunts it had seen and how many miles it had been worn for.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Or here
I sold some stuff to them a couple of years ago, including pull-on boots which my local tack shop said were worthless
This is a good suggestion- they appear in my Facebook newsfeed and their items aren’t inexpensive, so hopefully you could get a good price @ycbm

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Thanks, but it would crucify me to part with all my stuff one item at a time to buyers who might start picking fault. It either goes with a guide price in the bootload of other things or it stays as a pet in the cupboard.
An auction house might give you a guide price, they do for jewellery and watches. Depends on how much experience they have with that sort of thing though.

Winters100

Visit site
I would caution against an auction. We had to send a lot of my Mother's belongings to auction after she died, it was the only practical way to clear the house for sale, but it was heartbreaking to watch loved, and in some cases expensive, items going for peanuts.

Time for Tea

Visit site