Violent methods - POLL

Which of the following events are you going to?

• Total voters

vivhewe

Visit site
So, which violent methods do you use?
shocked.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
As santa145 said, I ticked quite a few but I would never do ahything to my horse unnecessarily and my horses are big and one has an attitude problem and if allowed to run riot she would probably seriously injure someone.

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
Any Swearing and shouting is simple for my benifit though.....
blush.gif
Spurs Virgin
smirk.gif
Only carrierd a schooling whip with my little pony simply as a leg aid as mine were to long for her to feel
crazy.gif
I more a reward the positive then get hung up about the negitive.... In turth I am a preditor just like all of us and there's not much we can do about it(!) we will always act that way!

amandaco2

Visit site
it depends on how you mean-use.
i have used a lunge whip(without touching the horse) does that count as violent?
if my filly rears or tries to bite she gets shouted at and sometimes she gets a slap in combination with aggressive body language
i use a schooling whip when i teach lateral work to help them to understand i want them to move over(a tickle NOT a slap or whack-if they can feel a fly they can feel the end of the whip rubbing on their flank!)

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
I use various aids but I would say. They are designed to help clear matters up. I would rather wear spurs to help a horse understand what is required than keep flicking at it with a whip and having to kick like a pony clubber.
I swear at my horse and growl quite a lot! Mostly when I am on the ground though as he tries harder to be good when being ridden!

X

xspiralx

I ticked quite a few as well!

However I'd never abuse my horses or be violent unnecessarily - but they are big animals so you can't let them take advantage.

Irishcobs

Visit site
I carry a whip when riding but hardly have to use it. After a couple of whacks with a schooling stick, Yes I did say whack, my boy has learnt he can't nap and I haven't needed to use a whip in 5 months!
I do carry a stick when going in the youngsters field at feed time just to protect myself from flying bucks etc.
I do shout sometimes, like when a horse is kicking ten bags out of the walker! And I swear and growl at my mare, usually when shes pissing off with me.
I kick out at a horse, like another horse would if its invading my personal space, but I don't make contact.

Does this make me cruel?

MissDeMeena

Visit site
All of the above pretty much.. apart from a "Wip-Wop rope" what in gods name is one of them when it's at home???

I've also never used sharp spurs, and never would, because i don't consider my legs "educated" enough to use them yet, i'd probably end up just cutting a whole in its side!!

I've also never bitten my horse, and never would, but only cos i don't want a mouthfull of hair
crazy.gif
(no mention of short and curlies please
wink.gif
)
Maybe instead of biting it, i might head butt it, but only if i had a hat on!!

RunToEarth

Visit site
Done most of above but as Claire says, have noooo idea what a wip-wop rope is..
crazy.gif

dont randomly beat the shite out of my horses, but sometimes they do pose serious threat to me or themselves, and I wont have rude horses, they are my pet hate.

threeponies

Visit site
Like everyone else says, I use whip etc but as an aid not as a means to beat the daylights out of my pony. If I had no whip and couldn't kick her , we would go nowhere. They get a slap in the stable for being bolshy or whatever, not random violence for no reason.

Governor

Visit site
If Governor bites or kicks me he'll get exactly the same back - very rarely happens as a result...saying that I replicate a bite with my hand, don't fancy a mouthful of horse.

I carry a 110cm whip when riding but hardly ever use it, he's never recieved a wallop with anything. I really just use it to tickle him occasionally to remind him to use his bum - or to back up ignored leg aids (never to replace them). Its more effective than a short whip in my opinion.

I've sworn at him but I don't shout, its all down to my tone of voice.

Agent XXX999

Visit site
I cant remember the last time I whapped my horse one...I use a big schooling whip to back my leg up, I would have no hesitation in smacking him if I need too, infact doing anything that makes me safe....

I just dont do it alot and i hate shouting i think its a bit innefective seeing as horses dont talk english

amage

Visit site
i use a short whip in the ring, impulse spurs at home on flat and wouldn't class either of these as violent.

vivhewe

Visit site
Eeeeeek, so following on from the post which said we all didn't care about our horses and used violent methods it appears we are all a bunch of horse-hating equine bashing b*st*rds!
mad.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif

Find it interesting that people on here who I quietly respect a lot when it comes to horses dare to use a whip and/or voice commands
shocked.gif
Bad horsemanship aparently. Ah well!

Apologies but that post about violent methods really got up my nose - if I adopted an attitude like that then Dan would be a very dangerous (as opposed to insane and stupid) horse
tongue.gif

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
I use a whip , and I do shout one when he is really bad!! He gets a short slap on the nose for biting - which is thankfully very rare. I do use spurs, BUT I think its gentler than if I dont as I have b****red up ankles so cant put my leg on and have to really squeeze/kick if I dont wear them, so when I do all I need is a gentle touch of them.

You forgot to add Yanking on reins/leadropes, as IMHO that is violent to!!! I HATE seeing people do that

vivhewe

Visit site
Oh bugger! Yanking on reins is something I hate, same as seesawing on the horses mouth for no reason (fair enough when the bugger won't stop) and balancing on the reins rather than actually learning to balance as a rider.

jess_asterix

Visit site
i have used most of the above, many diff spurs, all different types of whip, a good hard smack to make them move back and a lot of anger!

but they are only used when the horse is being a pig and needs it!

GTs

Visit site
I think the problem is not the aids you use - drain pipes, spurs, whips, dancing round like a fairy with your magic wond in your tutu, but really your behaviour while doing it. If you do it out of anger, and frustration it is not good, if you do it with a cool level head go for it.

spider

community.webshots.com
I think a wip wop rope one of those natural horsemanship things. You gently wave it from side to side and it stops your horse napping. Tried it with a lead rope on my cob, needless to say he didn't notice i was doing anything.