Virtual horse viewings

Bernster

Visit site
Prob only relevant until March 29 when I assume normal viewings can start again, but I’m intrigued by the idea of virtual viewings for horses for sale. Anyone done one, anyone bought or sold from one, has it worked out??

I suppose buying unseen was a bit similar but I feel like virtual viewings have really come on since COVID. I’ve seen a few dealers advertising them, like livestream events almost.

I only really know if I click with a horse when I ride it as they can feel so different, so I don’t think it would work for me unless they came with a decent trial period or warranty maybe.

be positive

Visit site
My main concern would be how honest the buyer is in their ability, having had people turn up to view that really exaggerate their experience, confidence and ambitions over the years and proved to fall well below their own descriptions I would not want to sell unseen/ untried without seeing at least a video of the buyer but then I always cared more about where the horse went than getting a quick sale.

I did sell two unseen but one was viewed by the trainer, pony went to the Channel Islands, another went to the IoW but to someone I knew through contacts and they were friends of the breeder of the horse so had a good idea of what they were getting, the horse went to an excellent home and the owner kept in contact with regular photos.

littleshetland

Visit site
I bought one ''virtually' from Spain 6 months ago....('what could possibly go wrong' I thought!) I did go through an agent that came very highly recommended, which obviously helped a lot. I was sent an endless number of videos of the horse being groomed, tacked up, feet picked up etc and obviously ridden in an arena and out hacking. I was asked all the time if they wanted me to see more videos of the horse in different situations, which was very reassuring. When I decided to buy, the vetting was extensively videoed for me. Although the vet was recommended by the agent, after many long telephone conversations with him, I felt happy enough to part with the required amount of euros....and a week later he arrived. Talk about nerve racking when I first met him in real life, but turns out to be one of the loveliest horses Ive ever had, he's far exceeded my expectations.

JackFrost

Visit site
Bernster, I'm with you on the 'click'. I was offered a virtual viewing on a nice youngster, but really I have to meet them to feel the vibe.
Also, having gone to view youngsters in the past, I found that often there were things about their conformation and personality that didn't come across in photos or videos.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Over the years I've viewed various videos of horses for sale but as most everyone else I need to see the horse, try them out & have a vetting & blood taken. I watched o ne video & the horse went well, moved well, jumped well but then I realised it was an old video. Horse in reality was unsound & that fact was being hidden by the seller. I would buy unseen & tried from certain dealers buy would need to view in person from a private sale.

tatty_v

Visit site
I’ve been horse hunting this past year and have been really hamstrung by not being able to view in person due to COVID.

Realistically I’m not experienced enough to make a decision without meeting the horse in person, and I’m almost too emotionally invested in the outcome. I think if I could approach it as a “well if this doesn’t work out then I’ll sell and try another” it might work.

I’m just hoping that things go back to normal post COVID and our hunt can resume (at a slightly more leisurely pace!) however, I do agree with @Bernster , the calibre of the sales materials and videos have improved dramatically, which makes the initial filtering exercise easier if nothing else!

Wishfilly

Visit site
I don't think I could with a ridden horse- I think a good pro riding can hide a lot of issues as well. For a youngster I can see how it would appeal, though!

I think for me, with a ridden horse, it would partly be lack of trust, and partly for me I need that "click" with the horse. I need to feel safe on board them- which doesn't always relate to perfect behaviour. I want to feel how they're going to respond to my riding, as well!

I do agree that sales videos have improved a lot during the last year, though, which is great!

dixie

Visit site
Interesting post as I’m normally a person who definitely needs to sit in the horse to know. However I do also know what types I like.
I’m currently looking too and seriously considering using an Irish Horse Agent who views horses for you, provides extensive videos and also asks for videos of me riding. Is obviously an extra cost but I’m thinking it’ll save me a lot of time traveling around the country when we’re allowed.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
For a non ridden, retired horse, probably yes. For a ridden horse, no. I usually know on the first ride whether it feels right or not. There's too much emotional and financial investment in owning a riding horse, particularly as when I buy, I'm doing so with the intention of keeping it for life.