visiting your horse at the vets

ihatework

Visit site
I'm surprised people will allow someone that they don't trust to do the basics (such as feed and water their horse) to carry out medical procedures on their horse...?

Me too, baffling!
I'm on the slightly neurotic side of horse ownership, so I'd be trying to get to the vets daily. But not to check on stable management!! More to just see my horse and discuss in person treatment plans.

hairycob

Visit site
Why on earth would you not trust your vet to do the basic care? I visited mine because both times he was in with life threatening conditions and I didn't know if I would bring him home. To visit and be told it was ok to take him out for a bit of in hand grazing was wonderful and I could have kissed the vet.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
When my mare was in horsepital for 2 weeks I didnt want to distress her by visiting everyday so I went three times - it was out of normal visiting hours as I worked at those times. The staff were really accommodating and the care was first rate and I trusted them. I was a bit upset each time I had to leave her as she called and called for me from the moment she saw me walking from the carpark to her stable. I never stayed for procedures (lavage and scoping) because Id rather the professionals concentrated on the horse than me...although I was invited to stay at the final scoping. At the end of the day you are the only one who knows how you feel and how your horse may react...mine expects food from me (and she was being starved) and would want to come home so daily visits wouldnt have been beneficial. No right or wrong way really.

HashRouge

Visit site
Me too, baffling!
I'm on the slightly neurotic side of horse ownership, so I'd be trying to get to the vets daily. But not to check on stable management!! More to just see my horse and discuss in person treatment plans.

I'm a bit surprised too - the only reason I went to often was because I was 14 and missed my horse so much. I liked to go and fuss/ groom her for as often as possible and my Mum would just sit in the reception with a tea or coffee. I have to say that not for one minute was I concerned about the level of care she was receiving - because I was there so often I met all the groom staff and a lot of vet nurses and everyone was lovely. Stable was always spotless and there was always plenty of forage and water.

Auslander

Visit site
I'm quite taken aback at posters who don't trust hospital staff to look after their horses properly! The staff on a hospital yard will be some of the most experienced, caring, professional people that you are likely to meet - that's why they're there! I've never been on a hospital yard where the standards weren't exceptionally high. The chances of a horse standing around in a dirty stable are minimal, as they have strict hygiene protocols in place, and they are looking after sick horses, so of course they are going to be fed and watered! .
As regards visiting hours, I wouldn't presume to turn up outside stated visiting hours, unless there was a very good reason (horse was going to be PTS) as they are there for a reason. These are not bog-standard livery yards, they are hospitals, with sick horses who need peace and quiet to recover. Vets and staff will be carrying out procedures, treating horses, and generally doing their job, and the last thing they need is extra people wandering about.

It's about respect. Respect for the level of care provided professionals who are caring for sick horses, and respect for any rules, which will be in place for a very good reason.

Spike was in hospital for a week, and I visited him once mid-week. He didn't need me there, and I left Liphook to get on with the job of getting him better. They were very good at giving me updates over the phone, and I trusted them to look after him. I visited for me - because I wanted to see him - not because I felt the need to check up on the care he was receiving.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I'm surprised people will allow someone that they don't trust to do the basics (such as feed and water their horse) to carry out medical procedures on their horse...?

I trust the vets to competent to do procedures I don't trust grooms I don't know period ever no matter who they are .

springtime1331

Visit site
I trust the vets to competent to do procedures I don't trust grooms I don't know period ever no matter who they are .

Agree, as I've had first hand experience of this. Found horse run up, covered in dried sweat on a dirty bed and with nothing to eat. was not impressed and refused to pay the hospitalisation fees. Completely different experience at NEH where I was bowled over by the standard of care. Horse was even sent home as if she was going to a show - oiled hooves, quarter markings and was absolutely gleaming.

maxapple

Visit site
My horse was at the vets for 10 weeks cross tied when he fractured his leg. I had a lovely sharer so between the two of us, one of us would visit most days. Never to check up on him or the vets however, as they are much more knowledgable than me. I just wanted to see him, give him a groom and a massage etc.

I don't think we planned to go every day, but for the first two weeks it was so touch and go on whether he would survive that we wanted to go daily. Then it became pet of our routine - and he had a few little set backs along he way which meant we would up the visits again.

It was also nice for him as he was cross tied to have a break in his routine and some tlc every day. I was also so used to seeing him daily that I would have really missed him.

The care he got was fantastic and I got a phone call every single morning with an update on how he was. The vet nurses were so good with him and his bed was always spotless and he was always calm and happy. I can't remember if there were visiting hours (sure there were) but we were told to avoid vet round times and mornings when X-rays etc were being done. If we turned up at a time when they were about to do his bandages etc, we would just get out of their way until they were done.

It was a 90 min round trip to get there - and I had to for that in around looking after my other horse who was on DIY at the time also. Not sure how I managed it looking back now.

Last edited:

AandK

Visit site
My horse was at vets for 3 days last Aug for an op on his leg, I dropped him of off the day before his op. He had a seizure coming round from the GA so my vet advised not to visit him that evening as they wanted him kept quiet. I visited the following day and picked him up the day after.
I visited every other day when he was in Liphook for 8 days due to colic 6yrs ago. The other 2 times he stayed were for a bone scan so couldn't visit due to radiation.
I trust the vets and their staff to look after him, otherwise I wouldn't leave him there.

pepsimaxrock

Visit site
My horse was in intensive care for 11 days last August. It was touch and go. Fortunately (?) the hospitalisation coincided with my annual holiday so I was able to visit every day. The horspital is nearer my home than her livery yard is :)
The hospital was open 8-6 every weekday, Sat mornings and closed to visitors on Sunday. All the staff were caring, competent, knowledgable and generous with their time and advice xxx

fatpiggy

Visit site
Mine was in Leahurst for about 5 days and I went down to see her every day. I'd never left her with strangers before, or in a strange place for that matter, but I have to say she was just fine and enjoyed watching the activity every day. I would just phone the office every day to say when I would be down and it was never a problem. For the first couple of days I was off work so went down in "normal" hours, but after that it was as soon as I could get there after 5pm. It was about 45 mile round trip every day and I generally stayed for about an hour just grooming her. It was minus rather alot at the time so an hour of subzero was about all I could stand anyway!

abbijay

Visit site
My boy did 3 1/2 weeks in Leahurst last year and despite it being about 50 minutes from home I made it 6 days a week. It did help that it was only a bit of a detour from my commute so I popped in on my way home from work 3 days a week. There were fixed visiting hours but they were very good at accommodating me if I couldn't make the exact times.
It was all a bit touch and go so I was glad to be there to give him his daily cuddles. When he underwent GA surgery I insisted on staying on site throughout and wouldn't leave until I'd given him a cuddle. He's my baby from before my babies turned up so I was a highly protective mother.

Biglets Mummy

Visit site
My darling Biglet was in for 14 days after colic surgery and I drove an hour each way every day before work often with my Dad who loved him almost as much as I did. He wanted for nothing and was incredibly well cared for and it never crossed my mind that I needed to check his care as I was totally confident that he was getting the best but I had to go every day for my sanity as well as he loved to see me.
He was doing really well and we planned to bring him home on the Friday. On my Thursday visit the vet took me to one side and said she had concerns that he wasn't quite right and that why didn't I take him for a little graze out in the sun to see if it perked him up.
Looking back on it now I think she knew he was succumbing and I will always be grateful for that lovely hour or so with him in the paddock. I made it back the next afternoon to say my goodbyes as he left me but I am so so glad I saw him everyday before the end. He was my friend and my responsibility and by going everyday ( as hard as it was ) he wasn't alone and nor was I.