Vit E oil

Horsekaren

Visit site
Does anyone use it?
It was suggested to me that it might be worth a try to help with my boys weak/ stiff/ sticky back end.
I am not sure if perhaps i just rode really well this morning or i have actually found a magic potion.

i read it can help with stiff/sore muscles, i have been driving myself a bit loopy trying to get to the bottom of my boy being short and stiff behind and was willing to try anything.

We have been mixing up our work the last few weeks but with no one around this morning on the yard i decided to try some solo schooling having not done that for 2 weeks. He felt super! Really had a rocket up his bottom (but in a good way) As i was on my own i said out loud every aid i was giving, i would keep repeating until he responded and he was amazing.

He didnt lock his neck, drop in or out, seemed straighter in a straight line and when i asked for him to soften by opening and closing my fingers he responded with in 3 small asks! He also didnt bounce, shoot into canter and when doing a big trot he was taking the contact forward and down!!!! :O (i watched a video to imagine contact as pushing your hands into a wall, i had much shorter reins and arms heading towards his ears, every time i wanted him to supple i had that in my head, push forward not rein him in and it helped so much)

And to top it all off!!!!! he head shakes terribly this time of year, i have had him on Cetrizine for 3 weeks which has helped but not eliminated. Today was the first day i rode since introducing the oil on Monday and no shaking at all!!!!

Has anyone used it with success and how long did it take to see any difference? it may be that i woke up this morning and was just totally awesome :p

Bit of a rant but yay!

tristar

Visit site
could it be you are starting to see in real life the benefits of mixing up the work, actually working him kindly and quietly and giving him time needed to learn new tricks, oh and his whole body starting to build up the necessary neurological pathways that become possible for him to offer what you are asking for?so you start to see pathway ahead opening up from the horse showing you the way forward?

and a bit of spring grass in the mix!

Horsekaren

Visit site
could it be you are starting to see in real life the benefits of mixing up the work, actually working him kindly and quietly and giving him time needed to learn new tricks, oh and his whole body starting to build up the necessary neurological pathways that become possible for him to offer what you are asking for?so you start to see pathway ahead opening up from the horse showing you the way forward?

and a bit of spring grass in the mix!

I'd like to say yes (only that) but he was locking and stiff in our pole clinic on the weekend and head shaking something rotten.

The mix up in work i am loving :D

but today something was different! the resistance wasn't there.

before i would ask, ask, he would lock then push me out into the fence or drop his shoulder or just shoot off into canter (he was doing this at the clinic)

i do like your wording, it is like he is awakening :)

be positive

Visit site
It certainly made a difference to one here, within a couple of days she moved like a totally different horse, her canter had been worse than her trot to the extent she could barely maintain it, pleased you have given it a go even if it is not the 'magic potion' it will do no harm.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I am glad to hear his going better oil can be a wonderful thing and certainly will help there joints and stiffness, one of my horses can get quite wooden through his body think riding a plank! He is a mild head shaker but think it's a bit of nerve damage.

I use a cranial therapist regularly and she also does shiatsu massage and uses laser acupuncture, she kind of mixes it up to suit each horse to treat there problem, after she has been he is so much better to ride and it definitely helps his plank like way of holding his body, I just thought if you could find a therapist it might really help him as well.

Where are you?

SEL

Visit site
Great stuff.

So Equimins is actually an oil and people seem to either love or hate it. Its very gloopy and I found it a pain to manage.

Forage Plus / progressive earth / Thunderbrooks all do natural vitamin E oil in a powder form.

Synthetic vitamin E oil is cheaper at face value but you have to use 2 x the volume to get the same amount of vitamin E into them.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I feed vitamin e all year apart from about now till the first flush of grass is gone. I use synthetic powder, even at double dose its cheaper and much easier to use. For the sake of £17.99 it wont hurt and it might make a big difference.

My current mare doesnt seem any different on or off it, but Leo definitely needed it. There was a huge and noticeable difference if I stopped it. He didnt to my knowledge have PSSM and didnt have any of the symptoms, but he was a happier horse on it.

catkin

Visit site
my ponies are on restricted grazing so I add Vit E all year round. I started using it with a pony who had metabolic and gut problems but use it for all of them now. There's a good description of what it does on the Forageplus website

I like the oil - I decant it into an old margarine tub (or any another wide-topped lidded tub) then syringe up however many mls are needed. I found it fairly easy to handle like this but I do keep it inside the house in cold weather rather an an unheated feedshed.

paddy555

Visit site
I've use vit E and have had success. It took around 48 hours to start to see results. I use the equimins oil which I think someone demonstrated on the earlier PSSM thread was the most cost effective product. I would start a horse on 10000iu per day.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Equimins oil is not the most cost effective product, even taking into account the double dose of synthetic powder. The workings and costings are on the previous post for people to see

Reactions: TPO

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Let's knock this on the head and stop this endless thread to thread argument over which is cheapest. It's confusing people and it's annoying.

Using current prices from reputable suppliers, oil is 10p per 1000iu. and both synthetic and natural powder are over 15 p per bio available 1000iu and may also incur delivery charges which the oil does not.

The sums are easy:

A bottle of oil is £100 and contains one thousand 1000iu per mil, 10p each.

A 500g packet of synthetic is £19 and is equivalent in bioavailability to natural at £38. Natural contains 1000 iu per 2g, 250 doses in a pack, over 15p per dose.

These sums may vary from day to day with offers, but, in general, it is much cheaper to feed vitamin E by buying a bottle of Equimins oil.

Some people find it messy and fiddly and prefer to pay for the powder. Others get on fine with it.

Last edited:

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
I used to use it to help my old boy who had shivers. For that it was recommended in large quantities, i.e. over 10000 iu per day for any benefit. I used to get mine from progressive earth if that helps as was the cheapest most cost effective when feeding the high doses.