Voltaire saddles

Sheep

Visit site
Just curious to know if anyone has any experiences of riding in / buying Voltaire saddles? Feel free to pm if you prefer - might be looking at them later this week, but don’t know a huge amount about them, aside from what I’ve read on their website etc.
Thanks ?

ihatework

Visit site
They are pretty popular among the Eventing circuit and the vast majority seem to like them and get good service.

I’ve ridden in a few Voltaire jump saddles and quite frankly can’t stand them! I must have incompatible conformation ?

Nicnac

Visit site
They're pretty.....

A bit Marmite - fine if you're a pro and have other saddles. They are foam panels so adjustments often require the saddle to be sent away for weeks to France.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
The thing that stands out for me is that the Voltaire’s age badly. You look at a saddle and it might only be a year old but it looks much older especially on the mono flaps. Voltaire itself has quite a few saddle brands under its umbrellas in France.

They don’t appeal to me but I am a die hard Amerigo/Equipe fan.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I don't like Voltaire saddles and wouldn't put one on my horse. Mostly because the panels are small and so flat. I know they're foam, not wool, and a more close contact style, but in some of them I really question the spine clearance. The panels just really turn me off for some reason. Their longevity also seems questionable based off of what I've heard and also seen on the second hand market. I think there are are better saddles out there. Sure some love them, but they're just not for me, or my horse.

Last edited:

teddy_

Visit site
I haven't heard glowing reviews about Voltaire saddles.

One lady I know who was 'sponsored' by them suggested the panel design had made a few of her horses sore, when comparing to the similar saddles such as Butet, Devoucoux etc.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
I like riding in them, can't really comment on fit as it wasn't my horse. However that person had two Voltaire saddles and commented how appalling after sales care is and how it takes ages for the fitter to come out to check the saddle. So it appears once they have your money you are pretty much on your own.

CatInTheSaddle

Visit site
Like others here, I know pros who get on very well with them. However, I tried one and it didn't suit. Then their sales rep said that if we bought it, we'd be ready to go! Without fitting? Said I. Oh, yes. It won't need any more fitting. Given that the saddle had been essentially plonked on with no alterations, that was a no from me.

ecb89

Visit site
My very good saddler told me that they are good for the pros who can afford multiple, or be sponsored, so they can have multiple widths. However for 99% of people who can only afford one they are rubbish

Sheep

Visit site
You’ll be pleased to know that we have now got an appointment booked with a master saddle fitter who is regularly praised on here ;) although I’m in NI and she’s based in GB, as luck would have it she’s visiting here this weekend.
I have also had a great message from a very well-regarded HHO saddle expert, who may also be able to assist :)

sportsmansB

Visit site
I had a recent fitting with Childeric and would recommend them too for after sales service and general help. They sponsor a rider at the yard I am based at so they are over regularly checking his. My horse visibly loved the saddle they found for us, moved more freely and felt softer.
Near Banbridge, they are over about once every 8 weeks if you don't get sorted

Sheep

Visit site
I had a recent fitting with Childeric and would recommend them too for after sales service and general help. They sponsor a rider at the yard I am based at so they are over regularly checking his. My horse visibly loved the saddle they found for us, moved more freely and felt softer.
Near Banbridge, they are over about once every 8 weeks if you don't get sorted

Ohh that’s really good to know!! Thank you! Would that be the yard with the two brothers perchance? Not too far from us at all - we are just off the A1 near Hillsborough and have been up there a couple of times for lessons :)

sportsmansB

Visit site
Ohh that’s really good to know!! Thank you! Would that be the yard with the two brothers perchance? Not too far from us at all - we are just off the A1 near Hillsborough and have been up there a couple of times for lessons :)

Hiya
Thats the one :) They have been using the Childeric saddles for a good while now. If you like their facebook page then they post up when the rep is coming.
I didn't really want / need a new saddle at all but my guy is super hard to fit and the one I had wasn't perfect... Needless to say I, and he, fell in love with one of theirs and they left it with me to try for 2 weeks. I'm currently debating which kidney to sell... :)

Sheep

Visit site
Hiya
Thats the one :) They have been using the Childeric saddles for a good while now. If you like their facebook page then they post up when the rep is coming.
I didn't really want / need a new saddle at all but my guy is super hard to fit and the one I had wasn't perfect... Needless to say I, and he, fell in love with one of theirs and they left it with me to try for 2 weeks. I'm currently debating which kidney to sell... :)

Ohh that’s fantastic, I’m sure you’ll get a great price no matter which kidney you decide to say goodbye to ?
If this week’s visit doesn’t work out we will def have to pop over next time they are out! We need to get over there again soon anyway, my OH is v keen to go up and see T for some ass kicking / encouragement ?

onemoretime

Visit site
Think they use saddle sellers with little saddle fit training to fit. I’ve seen some iffy fits. That said the ones used by pros seem okay.

I think there are more horse friendly (wider central channel and wider weight bearing panel saddles on the market).

think are more designer saddle than horse friendly saddle.

Agree with all of this. I have heard about fitters who dont know how to fit. There are better saddles out there I feel.

Last edited:

Warrior98

New User
Visit site
Hello all .. I have ridden in Voltaire for the past few years. Personally for me and my horses they were a game changer. The wide spines allow the horses the freedom they need to move laterally on the flat and freely and comfortable over a fence. For the rider a super close contact with the jumping saddles and for dressage the ability to move in motion with the horse. I had top class service from Phil Roelich of Voltaire and all the team involved. All the team are riders that compete at all levels and are experts on the horses anatomy and physiology. When I needed panel changes these were completed within a 3 week turn around. Nonfuss or stress. I cannot actually recommend them highly enough and the after sales service is always on point.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Ha! New poster joins just to give a gushing review for a saddle brand of which the quality and after sales service has just been roundly trounced by regular and knowledgable posters on HHO ??.

Who are we most likely to believe? Hmmm...

It always happens doesn't it - quite predictable :D

Warrior98

New User
Visit site
Very rude really I have only posted from experience. And this is a forum to freely express and not be criticised by a keyboard warrior

Warrior98

New User
Visit site
Very rude really I have only posted from experience of the brand and services that I have experienced. Why are you critiquing me when this forum is here for people to freely express what they think. Very unfair. Have you considered that?

Warrior98

New User
Visit site
You will have to forgive us, but many is the time that a company has had poor reviews from long established posters, and then up pops a glowing review from a new poster who has coincidentally just joined the forum. It always looks suspicious.

Thank.you.its super dossappointing to see the response that I got from my post especially as a new member as I was only starting to look through the forum. Personally it doesn't encourage me one little bit. I used to have Prestige saddles bur switched to Voltaire and jave never had any issues with them even when one of my horses changed shape due to her condition.
It seems possible that people have had different experience and rather than damning a company or a post maybe look at all sides of a story before going off on a rant like what has happened here.
It wasn't encouraging for me at all only disappointed that people have nothing better to do than to slam someone else's opinions and comments. Let's hope that this isn't a case with all other topics on this forum

Warrior98

New User
Visit site
Ha! New poster joins just to give a gushing review for a saddle brand of which the quality and after sales service has just been roundly trounced by regular and knowledgable posters on HHO ??.

Who are we most likely to believe? Hmmm...

As from the admon team when I jooned up thisnis what I got. I would expect this acrossnallmchannels and not tonbenslammed fro my opinions on a product that has been nothing but superior for me and my horses.
⭐While discussions on the forum can be robust we do ask that you treat everyone as you would wish to be treated⭐ its actually that simpe

Warrior98

New User
Visit site
As from the admin team when I joined up this is what I got. I would expect this across all channels and not to be slammed fro my opinions on a product that has been nothing but superior for me and my horses.
⭐While discussions on the forum can be robust we do ask that you treat everyone as you would wish to be treated⭐ its actually that simpe