Volunteering at Events/Other horse things

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
This might be a bit premature given things have been shut down but still, I like to think ahead. I've been wanting to get back into riding after a long break. I had a couple of lessons before lock-down and was planning to 'shop around' riding schools to see what was the best fit. My longer term goal was maybe to do a BHS Challenge Award and/or even see about doing a share for a year. Anyway things are they way they are and I think it might be a while before the riding schools have enough capacity for new clients when they each re-open, so I'm thinking of other things I can do to feel like I'm getting back to horsey things.

I've realised I live quite near Munstead at it got me thinking about volunteering at events (here or elsewhere) but I'm not sure what kind of roles there are or what to expect from this sort of thing - does anyone have any experiences they can share or other ideas for things adults without their own horse can do?

be positive

Visit site
Contact them directly and ask, most places could not run without volunteers, everything from stewarding for dressage, fairly straightforward especially at unaff or writing for the dressage judge, to jump judging on the xc, more complex requiring some training/ knowledge/ experience but often you can accompany someone to get started.

I would suggest you go to a low key competition or two to get a feel for what goes on, offer to help and take it from there, most venues will explain what they need you to do but it does help if you do a bit of homework to have the basic rules in your mind, decide what interests you the most and get involved in that so you can learn as you go but have a starting point, dressage writing is a good way to start if it interests you, you can write fairly quickly, are able to be quiet and sit still for several hours, it is also a way to pick up some good tips for your own riding.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Volunteering at events is an awesome experience but is hard work.

BE run volunteer training days before each season and you can find out and book on through their Facebook page.

I volunteered at Blair last year. I got free camping, free entry to the event, a Joules t-shirt, a packed lunch each day I worked and as much tea and cake as I needed. I did crossing points, checking passports and arena party (this bit nearly killed me it was such a hot day and other volunteers hadn't shown up so I was on my own picking poles across half the arena, the course designer did the other half). I'm hoping to do a bit at Kelsall if they get any events on this season.

Volunteers are essential to keep the sport running and I really enjoyed the experience. If I was to do it again at Blair I'd book a B&B instead...the parties on the campsite went on all night long.

Lexi_

Visit site
Volunteering is lots of fun but given the current situation, I’m not sure when the opportunities will start to be available. If you’re interested in BE, look on their website for specific event details and drop their volunteer coordinator an email. They’re usually delighted to have the help!

Might be best to get back in touch with some riding schools and see if they’ve got any availability - where they can fit customers in, I’m sure they’ll be making the effort to do so! Shares are still out there too, just have a good search on Preloved etc.

Lexi_

Visit site
Volunteering at events is an awesome experience but is hard work.

BE run volunteer training days before each season and you can find out and book on through their Facebook page.

I volunteered at Blair last year. I got free camping, free entry to the event, a Joules t-shirt, a packed lunch each day I worked and as much tea and cake as I needed. I did crossing points, checking passports and arena party (this bit nearly killed me it was such a hot day and other volunteers hadn't shown up so I was on my own picking poles across half the arena, the course designer did the other half). I'm hoping to do a bit at Kelsall if they get any events on this season.

Volunteers are essential to keep the sport running and I really enjoyed the experience. If I was to do it again at Blair I'd book a B&B instead...the parties on the campsite went on all night long.

Hopefully see you at Kelsall in the autumn! The team there are so lovely.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Thank you for the replies! I suppose it will be tricky for a while longer yet, I can't imagine there will be much in the way of spectating for a while. For now I've added a couple of venues to my Facebook feed and signed up to a couple of mailing lists to find out what's on. I'll follow up with the volunteer co-ordinator suggestion as well - thank you :)

One riding school will hopefully have a space for me soon but there's another two I'm keeping an eye on their websites to see if they have opened yet.

I have been keeping an eye on what shares come up locally but I think to be honest I need to be having lessons to get my confidence up, and refresh my mind on some of the very basics. I'm a self-confessed novice so not the sort to overstate my ability, but hopefully the things I've learned in the past will come back to me and I can get a bit more learning in so I'm reasonably competent to be ready for a share.

Vodkagirly

Visit site
I think some venues will be starting to run competitions from June and as lots of regular volunteers are in the vulnerable category they will be desperate for some new faces.
All sorts of jobs going, fence judging, dressage writing, scorecard collecting, stewarding. Its good to try different things. I enjoy it and try to do my bit, though I find some venues better than others. Give it a try.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Do give it a go once events are up and running again. I’ve done all sorts over the years, from pole picking, fence judging, stewarding, tack checks through to dressage writing. It’s a great way to be part of an event, but as others say, some events look after their volunteers better than others, so don’t be put off if you find a dud - just move on.

I can echo that Kelsall looks after its volunteers very well! Whereas some fence judges at another local BE event were so fed up one year at being left hungry and thirsty at their station that they radioed in to control to say they were downing tools and leaving. And they did. (That event now looks after its volunteers rather better).

Last edited:

MissTyc

Visit site
Once you're on the volunteers mailing list, you'll be contacted frequently for a variety for volunteering opportunities. Many of them require no experience and it's a lovely way to get to know people and horses and become familiar with venues, etc! Also a great way to get a tan in summer :p

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I love volunteering at events. It’s hard work but so enjoyable and as I’m not brave enough to ride XC courses anymore it gives me a birds eye view of just how much fun it is. I fence judge at either RC days or BE events and this year I did the one and only BE event as arena party. Two years ago I was in the arena party at Blenheim for the RC eventer challenge and for that I got a free pass to the next day. Quite often at the BE events there are volunteer raffles and you get fed and watered with far more than you can actually consume. So disappointed to only have done the one so far this year.

outdoor girl

Visit site
British Riding Clubs are always looking for volunteers to steward at their championships. They look after them really well and it's great fun being part of "the team". Their championships are mainly in the summer months, but there are some in the winter and spring too, so it may be worth contacting them - when things return to normal (what ever that may be).

Quigleyandme

Visit site
BE fence judging is generally brilliant if you have a friend or older child who will pair with you. I have had mixed experiences as ring steward though. You can have a lot of fun, be treated well and learn a lot from the judge or you can be out there all day in the broiling heat without so much as a kiss my foot let alone a thank you from the organiser (NPS) at the end of the day and suffer heatstroke into the bargain. Judges can be wined and dined while stewards are lucky to get half a cup of tepid water with a few dog hairs and a fly floating in it at some shows and others will ensure your comfort at every level. Legging the ride judge up can be hard on the back after a few hours so I used to rope in my partner or my son. Basically choose well and it is very rewarding, fun and educational.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Thank you, really helpful to know. I wasn't sure what to expect back from it so good to hear it can be variable and to be prepared for this. Also good to know there's such a variety of roles to try. :)

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I used to livery at Munstead many years ago and regularly helped out at their events. I’m predominantly a dressage rider, but found it really interesting helping out across all 3 phases. I always really enjoyed jump judging on the xc (except that one time I got stuck in the mud when borrowing a friends smaller car) and meeting Blyth Tait when dressage stewarding is still up there for me as a pinch me moment.

The owners are super welcoming and always happy to have a new pair of hands on the team.

Leandy

Visit site
Go for it, it will be great fun and events are always short of volunteers so they will likely bite your hand off! Munstead has just opened for XC schooling so why not contact them and express your interest now. One of the things venues will need to know in order to get going again is how many volunteers they can rely on. Both dressage and showjumping are likely to get going again before BE and I believe BS are planning training competitions before they get going proper. Do contact you local centres and get involved. I'm sure you won't regret it!