Voss goes to Jessica Kurten

woodtiger

Visit site
As reported today, the ride on Voss has gone to JK and not he's not been sold, the reason cited that it was difficult and expensive to get him in to the top shows - which it undoubtedly is: if you are not highly ranked, you don't get invited (Super Trooper's rider is currently #10 in US, but couldn't get into Hickstead this year)

What I find odd is that the owners gave the ride to an international rider and not a British one, since she is quoted as saying "our biggest wish was to continue to see Voss compete under the British flag".

I suppose there are just a handful of GBR riders who are invited to those top shows, and several of these are pre-occupied with the Olympics this year. I just wonder why he didn't go back to John Whitaker?

Tinks81

Visit site
oh Simon will be upset !

Top riders only get 3 horses each for International competition and all other riders had horses for longer and better than him!

John did not compete him in the classes that the Brakes wanted him too I guess they want him to be someone no. 1 horse not no. 3 !!!

woodtiger

Visit site
Sure, he must be so disappointed. He's done a cracking job with the horse but I suppose that's the nature of the game. Must be some kudos to produce a horse for her though.

Jessica has been getting some good results with Vincente indoors, so Voss might run alongside him, but she is based at Eduard de Rothschild's yard now, so has a very good French backer with a string of decent horses, I'm not convinced Voss will be her #1. He'd definitely be out of the running for London (Denis Lynch and Billy have got to have secured the two individual spots) and IMO John (or Michael) doesn't have anything that is going to be a serious contender. There was talk of Argento being an Olympic prospect, but haven't seen him out for ages.

Rambo

Visit site
I'd never write John off but agree that Argento would be an outside chance at best. Would have thought Amai would be in with a better chance for Michael though ? Guess we'll see when Rob selects his team for La Baule.

Hoss1

New User
Visit site
The real story about Voss is that he was not number 3 horse for John Whitaker when he went to him but an 8 year old only and had to be produced to the top level you don't just get there! The reason that John did not get him back is that the Brakes had a private disagreement with John and although they remain friends with John they cannot go back to him riding their horses.

The other inaccuracy is that Simon Crippen produced the horse. He rode him very well for 2 months in 2010 and 5 months in 2012. Andy Brake produced the horse from a 3 year old.

The issue was that the Brakes were not able to regularly get Simon and Voss into top shows without shelling out thousands. The top riders in Uk all have owners who either limit them from riding for any other owners or they have many horses.

Jessica Kurten saw the horse in Fomtainebleau and approached them and why wouldn't they give him to her? She is a top rider with access to all the top shows and she really wanted the horse.

Bearskin

Visit site
Shame that he will not be ridden by a British rider. His new rider has had trouble with previous owners so perhaps the partnership will not last long.

Is it true that Voss has been Hobdayed? If so, how do you think that it will that affect his future as a breeding stallion?

JayCeeme

Visit site
While Simon must be feeling gutted about Voss it must be a tremendous boost for him that Ondine du Logis has jumped so well on the Sunshine Tour to be the best of the British horses in yesterday's Grand Prix. This is a horse that he has produced and brought on from the very beginning.

Tinks81

Visit site
The real story about Voss is that he was not number 3 horse for John Whitaker when he went to him but an 8 year old only and had to be produced to the top level you don't just get there! The reason that John did not get him back is that the Brakes had a private disagreement with John and although they remain friends with John they cannot go back to him riding their horses.

The other inaccuracy is that Simon Crippen produced the horse. He rode him very well for 2 months in 2010 and 5 months in 2012. Andy Brake produced the horse from a 3 year old.

The issue was that the Brakes were not able to regularly get Simon and Voss into top shows without shelling out thousands. The top riders in Uk all have owners who either limit them from riding for any other owners or they have many horses.

Jessica Kurten saw the horse in Fomtainebleau and approached them and why wouldn't they give him to her? She is a top rider with access to all the top shows and she really wanted the horse.

Mr Brake rode the horse for 2 years 06 - 08 and jumped BN - Fox

He was then given to Stuart Harvey to be produced for the next 2 years before he went to Simon !!!

Not suprised the Brakes had a disagreement with John i have heard they are very difficult owners !!!

Strange the horse has no competition record since July last year though

Hoss1

New User
Visit site
Actually I know the Brakes really well becasue I used to work for them and they couldn't be fairer people. If you mean by difficult that they stick up for their horses, you can call them difficult.

Also Stuart Harvey only rode the horse for just over a year altogether as the Brakes always have their horses back for a break in Autumn and Winter. Andy Brake was the making of that horse...he did all the hard graft..not Simon, not Stuart and not anyone else.

The truth is that we have very few realy good owners like the Brakes in the show jumping sport and there are not that many people falling over themselves to give horses to top riders in GB. We should be asking ourselves why?

If you ask me I think they got fed up with trying so hard to get Simon into shows and to ensure that he got selected etc.

It is GB's loss that Voss is now with and Irish rider.

sassybebe

Visit site
I saw that horse with Andy alot in the novice classes and have always liked him. It's a shame for simon but it will be nice to see a British produced horse competing at top level competitions.

davem

New User
Visit site
Surely Hoss 1 knew that it would not be as easy to get into the top shows when the horse was taken off John Whitaker, it doesn’t seem however that Simon was given enough time to have a shot at getting into these shows! It was great to see that the partnership was recognised to represent the country though and this could only have lead onto more opportunities but unfortunately another horse is given to a foreign rider in what is to be a great year for British Show Jumping!

Credit should be given to Simon he did a great Job with Voss after all it was this partnership which caught Jessica Kurten’s eye in the first place!!

Last edited: