Vouchers for prizes for BE eventing

Eventmum

Visit site
Hi, yet again this weekend we have received a voucher which requires us to actually spend more money to buy anything (voucher from very expensive saddler with nothing we could afford) - so far this year we have also received a 55% voucher towards buying a airowear base layer, this was for winning a BE80 that cost us £85 to enter including start fee, we don't actually need another base layer so definitely wont be spending another 45% to obtain one so in effect we have won nothing. We also won a voucher that could only be redeemed at an event before mid October but on checking none of the events are anywhere near us now and we cant use the voucher online. I know prizes are generally given by sponsors but we only compete at grassroots level but it is really expensive and I think its very unfair that vouchers are given out that either are unlikely to be used or actually will cost money to use. What are other people finding?

purplestar

Visit site
i dont like vouchers that give you 50% off something for winning but am fine with vouchers that i can either pick a few small things up to the voucher or put to something more expensive if i want. there is only so many prizes you can do depending on the amount you are winning ( how many grooming kits does one horse need in my case ) , then you also come across size problem the cooler you win is 6'0 your horse is 6'3" etc

VRIN

Visit site
At the end of the day it is what I do for fun and yes its nice to be placed but if thats the only reason for competing I might as well stay at home because only a few entrants can ever be placed.

BE events require lots of volunteers - people who do not get paid and give up many more hours in a day than competitors and yes it will have cost them money to get there. Perhaps we should give a thought for them before seeking prizes for ourselves.

I never hear them complain about getting nothing in return for all their hard work. I felt very sorry for the fence judge on the XC at Blair - she must have been on one of the most exposed fences, in the rain, freezing cold. She even had to supply her own coffee, there was no shelter ... plenty to moan about... and yet she didn't. As a spectator I was relieved to move on to a more sheltered position!!

We wouldn't be able to run pour sport without all the volunteers and maybe they should be the first to benefit from any spare cash going around.

PorkChop

Visit site
You don't event for the prizes! It is an expensive sport in terms on entry fees, however I feel it is worth it. Sooo many volunteers, beautiful estates to ride around, feel very privileged tbh.

I don't like the vouchers much either :)

MagicMelon

Visit site
I don't think you ever get good prizes at BE at the amateur levels (up to novice - even then you only get a bit of prize money, not much considering what it cost you to get there!). I don't remember getting much at the lower levels, a leadrope was one prize ;) Annoying to get a spend-money-first voucher, shame they couldnt just gift the cheapest thing they made. But hey ho, to be honest to get any prize at lower levels is a bonus. Eventing is not known for good prizes!

VRIN, I'm pretty sure the judges at Blair supplied their fence judges with coffee! Perhaps this particular judge just drank a lot of it so had to have her own on hand... Personally I would have happily sat out in pouring rain to judge such a competition.

VRIN

Visit site
No ...they were told to bring their own coffee this year apparently ... maybe the fei rules are different - cars on course???

She wasn't complaining but she looked absolutely frozen!

Orangehorse

Visit site
That doesn't sound very good. A prize should at least be something you can take home with you, not that you would have to add more money to.

dianchi

Visit site
I still think its appalling in BE don't have the rule that at least first place gets their entry fee back for winning.
BS and BD do it!

Keysoe BD is £50 for first! Granted its a £25 entry fee, but you can actually come home even for once!

Llee94

Visit site
I was at an event the other day where they had vouchers from Devoucoux. A great prize of a £100 voucher but from looking at their website that would get you either a browband, a leadrope or a saddle cover. I imagine it would have been a way to get you to spend more money with them which is great if you can afford to do that.
It is a real shame with some vouchers and I do feel it is almost a fake prize.
I have been given vouchers for Mole Valley before and I was very happy with them as that is where I get all my feed from so they proved very useful and paid for two months worth of feed for 4 horses (granted they don't get fed huge amounts but still better than nothing!).
I guess it is just luck of what companies have sponsored the event/class.