Waaaaay overpriced?!

BethanT

Visit site
I am truly amazed. Now I am fully prepared to admit being wrong here but just seen a 8 month old filly foal for sale advertised for £4500?! It's a pure Arabian but don't think breeding is too special. Sire is black Egyptian Arab so not sure if this affects it?

Am I wrong or is this person a bit delusional??

BethanT

Visit site
Possibly. Though I do know them and I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't. No critisim meant at all. Genuinely interested to know of that is going rate for that kind of foal.

BethanT

Visit site
I just thought it seemed a lot of money, considering that would be a healthy budget for a well schooled horse prime age and competed etc in my area. Like I said I don't know the breed well so may well be standard price.

Faithkat

Visit site
I am truly amazed. Now I am fully prepared to admit being wrong here but just seen a 8 month old filly foal for sale advertised for £4500?! It's a pure Arabian but don't think breeding is too special. Sire is black Egyptian Arab so not sure if this affects it?

Am I wrong or is this person a bit delusional??

It's the black that whacks up the price. People always ask stupid money for black Arabs; quality seems irrelevant. The same thing happens with palominos, dun/buckskin (not Arabs) . . . . .
Like anything, I don't blame people for asking silly money, it's the morons that pay it!!!!!

ameeyal

Visit site
I payed over that for my black arab colt a few years ago, their aren't many black arabs out there so it will cost the breeder more money to breed to a black stallion, they just command more money than your usual colour. {I have 2 black arabs}

Goldenstar

Visit site
If she's a beauiful 'to type ' individual from a good family why should she command such a price it's not a lot of money for a horse .
While the market for the ordinary and bog standard is depressed the exceptional and special are still easy to sell and commanding good prices .
You never know perhaps the breeder is sitting at home thinking I could got £8000 for her before the credit crunch .

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Why shouldn't it be that price?

Exactly!! Most pure-bred Arab stallions stand at £600+ - a homozygous black often more. It's a filly, may be homozygous for black and would be in great demand from Arab breeders. It's not a big price when you consider the costs of producing a weanling foal.

Just because there are a lot of cheapo horses for sale (MOST horses that are cheap are cheap for a reason!) Hell, if I could find a nice homozygous black Irish Draught filly at that price I'd be tempted!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Certain Egyptian lines are very desirable and if she's black on top of that, then her price sounds like it could be right even in today's market.

Does anyone have a link to the ad?

windand rain

Visit site
Knowing what it costs to produce even a bog standard foal properly it sounds pretty cheap to me. However most people do it for the love not the money and whether they get it or not is a different question

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Typo on the price maybe it was meant to be £450.

There is no way that a fully registered foal, that is sound and has good conformation (and the seller has no financial issues, so it can be easily kept if not sold straight away) should be priced at £450.

It actually shocks me that people expect that sort of price.

ETA - Thanks BT, I'd love to see a copy of the ad. :)

BethanT

Visit site
Sorry didn't make it clear. She isn't black. It's her father who is. The seller owns both sire and dam so obvi no stud fee but I understand that a good stud does cost a bomb.

rowan666

Visit site
I dont think thats too over priced personally. It certainly wont be a typo. If it is and shes 450 then im on my way to collect her now! Haha

Goldenstar

Visit site
Exactly!! Most pure-bred Arab stallions stand at £600+ - a homozygous black often more. It's a filly, may be homozygous for black and would be in great demand from Arab breeders. It's not a big price when you consider the costs of producing a weanling foal.

Just because there are a lot of cheapo horses for sale (MOST horses that are cheap are cheap for a reason!) Hell, if I could find a nice homozygous black Irish Draught filly at that price I'd be tempted!

I'll Fight you for the ID.

soulfull

Visit site
We had some 'Arab showing people staying at our yard some years ago. One of them had a 9month old filly that they had paid £40,000 for. So I guess that one is very reasonable lol
Incidently someone else had paid £100,000 for a top notch ridden stallion

So they Said anyway

Marie1

Visit site
There is a 9 month old black Arab colt on Preloved at the moment for £5000 so I would say that £4500 sounds about right!

s4sugar

Visit site
There is no way that a fully registered foal, that is sound and has good conformation (and the seller has no financial issues, so it can be easily kept if not sold straight away) should be priced at £450.

As above - in the same vein you can get a usable car for under a grand but equally you could pay over a million.
A £450 foal is likely to have been cheaply bred, often by the handiest male equine that hasn't been gelded, cheaply reared or wrong in some way.
This filly at£4,500 now would have been double ten years ago so is priced for the market.

BethanT

Visit site
We had some 'Arab showing people staying at our yard some years ago. One of them had a 9month old filly that they had paid £40,000 for. So I guess that one is very reasonable lol
Incidently someone else had paid £100,000 for a top notch ridden stallion

So they Said anyway

WOW!! That does seem ridiculous, though I suppose no real difference to race horses. You just don't see it on such a wide scale or as often.

Thanks guys :) learn snorting new every day

Capriole

Visit site
Why shouldn't it be that price?
Exactly.

Like anything, I don't blame people for asking silly money, it's the morons that pay it!!!!!

What is silly money is your own opinion, it's subjective, so imo it's a bit harsh to be calling people that pay those figures morons!

If she's a beauiful 'to type ' individual from a good family why should she command such a price it's not a lot of money for a horse .
While the market for the ordinary and bog standard is depressed the exceptional and special are still easy to sell and commanding good prices .

I've certainly had no problems selling mine, for good prices and without advertising, so I agree!

Agreed and agreed. And I'd be thankful it was 'only' £4500 as well ;)

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site

Absolutely agreed!!

The market at the moment is horrendous. Quality bred horses going for peanuts just because there are so many bad horses on the market and people are buying them because they know no better.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Every nown and again, arab horses (particularly fillies) will sell for huge amounts to very rich Arabs (people). There was one filly in my Arabian magazine which sold a couple of years ago for £250,000 - yes a 1/4 of a million pounds. Now the filly was really, really special but there are some very rich people in the Arab world and they will pay premium prices for World class stock.

Of course that is rare and a normal person can own a very nice arab horse for far, far less than that.

This isn't the filly in the OP, but there is one on this link that is also bay (but only one copy of agouti, so could breed black foals in the future like the filly in the OP) and has a black sire with Egyptian lines, for £4500.

http://www.woodbankarabians.co.uk/forsale.htm

If the filly in the OP is as nice as this (I haven't seen a photo and don't know her sire's bloodlines), then the price seems comparable to that of similar fillies.

BethanT

Visit site
Got to admit despite not being a fan of the arab breed that filly does look nice and very well put together. IMO (though I could be wrong again) the filly in my OP is not as nice as this. I will try and find out more about the sires blood-line for you. He is only young and is not yet available to much stud work off her own yard. He has not done an awful lot in the competition world showing either.

I will be back, bearing with more info! :)

catroo

Visit site
Every nown and again, arab horses (particularly fillies) will sell for huge amounts to very rich Arabs (people). There was one filly in my Arabian magazine which sold a couple of years ago for £250,000 - yes a 1/4 of a million pounds. Now the filly was really, really special but there are some very rich people in the Arab world and they will pay premium prices for World class stock.

Of course that is rare and a normal person can own a very nice arab horse for far, far less than that.

This isn't the filly in the OP, but there is one on this link that is also bay (but only one copy of agouti, so could breed black foals in the future like the filly in the OP) and has a black sire with Egyptian lines, for £4500.

http://www.woodbankarabians.co.uk/forsale.htm

If the filly in the OP is as nice as this (I haven't seen a photo and don't know her sire's bloodlines), then the price seems comparable to that of similar fillies.

Sorry to hijack but why do they clip out the necks? They don't look that hairy and it's not even blended in, looks odd