Waaaaay overpriced?!

Sparkles

Visit site
I think you have to know the breed and that breeds market very well. Whatever the breed may be. I know cobs that sell for more as yearlings. So no, generally speaking, I don't think it could be way over priced at all. Out of many's budget [mine included!] or what one is willing to spend on a horse, yes....but over priced, is subject to who buys it and the purpose of what it was bred for. A horse is worth what it's worth to the select buyer and breeder.

ETA - Arabs, not my forte, at all. Speaking generally.

Last edited:

Arizahn

Visit site
We had a few threads back in December querying whether horses are too cheap to acquire...can anyone remember what the consensus was on that? Plus consider the costs of getting a foal on the ground and then to weaning. The breeder is more than likely making a loss as it is.

I hope the filly in question gets a great home, and that she only ever increases in value :)

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Sorry to hijack but why do they clip out the necks? They don't look that hairy and it's not even blended in, looks odd

It's just a fashion that swept the showing ring and is ever popular... it is supposed to elongate and show off the neck conformation. The halters they use is also fashion and starting to creep in to PRE showing which I think is wrong as it alters the conformation. Looks good on arabs as they like to be shown with heads up.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
It's just a fashion that swept the showing ring and is ever popular... it is supposed to elongate and show off the neck conformation. The halters they use is also fashion and starting to creep in to PRE showing which I think is wrong as it alters the conformation. Looks good on arabs as they like to be shown with heads up.

TH is right, it's meant to show off the head and neck. I don't like it myself, but then I don't like the extended bridlepaths that are often clipped into the manes either.

I don't think the diddy halters would become a PRE. I love PRE's but they need something chunkier IMO.

BethanT

Visit site
What a coincidence - she's related to the filly that I posted about as an example of a similar filly. They are much more similar than I realised!

That is pretty spooky! Well looking at the bloodlines I am now starting to see that the price tag is very reasonable and not overpriced at all!

Yeah the filly I am talking about would be her niece!

tallyho!

Visit site
TH is right, it's meant to show off the head and neck. I don't like it myself, but then I don't like the extended bridlepaths that are often clipped into the manes either.

I don't think the diddy halters would become a PRE. I love PRE's but they need something chunkier IMO.

No they don't at all but everyone's using it now at the breed show. Such a shame.

HBM1

Visit site
I am truly amazed. Now I am fully prepared to admit being wrong here but just seen a 8 month old filly foal for sale advertised for £4500?! It's a pure Arabian but don't think breeding is too special. Sire is black Egyptian Arab so not sure if this affects it?

Am I wrong or is this person a bit delusional??

I'm amazed that you are amazed at the price. People have no clue how much it costs to get a foal on the ground.

tallyho!

Visit site
What makes me cross about prices is that there are unpapered horses out there that people try to sell at papered prices.

People buy them without doing any research whatsoever and then moan to the breed society that they can't register the horse and somehow its the society's fault!!

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I'm amazed that you are amazed at the price. People have no clue how much it costs to get a foal on the ground.

You are SO right. And of course, sometimes you can spend a LOT of money and not even get the mare in foal - or lose it at an early age. I lost 2 last year (out of 16) - one with a congenital defect and one whose kidneys gave out at a month old (cause was unable to be determined.) Averaged out, my foals cost me between £1500 and £2,000 to be born. THEN they can cost very little extra to get to weaning - or a small fortune to NOT make it!

BethanT

Visit site
What makes me cross about prices is that there are unpapered horses out there that people try to sell at papered prices.

People buy them without doing any research whatsoever and then moan to the breed society that they can't register the horse and somehow its the society's fault!!

I have a feeling this filly isn't papered as doesn't mention in the ad

tallyho!

Visit site

That doesn't mean anything, you'd have to ring the breeder and ask. If not, then you'd have to ask why and then make your decision based on that.

If the parents are not registered, then the foal won't be able to be registered either. So don't buy it if the parents are not registered. This happens more often than you might think.

ridefast

Visit site
I don't know much about arab breeding and prices, but if you want some shocking prices just look up the prices of potential group 1 winning tb flat bred youngsters - mental. Still as everyone says, a horse is worth what someone will pay for it. If a sheik wants to pay £100,000 for an unproven foal, then that's what that foal is worth right?

HBM1

Visit site

All mine have pink papers, but I never mention it in their ads, so it definitely doesn't mean they don't have them. In fact, I rarely see it mentioned in ads.

gingernut81

Visit site
There is no way that a fully registered foal, that is sound and has good conformation (and the seller has no financial issues, so it can be easily kept if not sold straight away) should be priced at £450.

It actually shocks me that people expect that sort of price.

ETA - Thanks BT, I'd love to see a copy of the ad. :)

I have no idea about prices of arabs, arab foals or lineage. I was merely making a suggestion.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I have no idea about prices of arabs, arab foals or lineage. I was merely making a suggestion.

I meant any decent, well bred foal BTW, not just arabs. No stud farm could last if it sold foals for £450 regardless of whether the foals are Trakehners, Arabs, Holsteins, Appaloosas or another breed. Look at Janet George's post re her costs.

Yes, you can buy a £450 foal, but you'd have to be buying from someone who's fallen on seriously hard times to get a registered, good tempered and well conformed animal at that price.

tallyho!

Visit site
People these days, through no fault of their own, seem to expect horses to be really cheap. I'm not saying anyone here, it's my general observation of what I actually see for myself and hear people say.

"You can get a pony for about £50 these days" - overheard in a pub.

"Horses are cheap these days, it's the cost of keep in' um you gotta watch out for." - said to me while I was walking my friends tb on tendon rehab.

"What do you want a fancy stupid Spanish horse for? Thousands of racehorses going cheap. You can a have a fine thoroughbred for quarter the price!!" - said by my ex-farrier.

Words fail me.

Goldenstar

Visit site
But you can get fabulous TB's very very cheaply out of training in fact you can be given them .
For the experienced with the right set up they are fantastic sport horses and nothing beats riding a good TB .

tallyho!

Visit site
But you can get fabulous TB's very very cheaply out of training in fact you can be given them .
For the experienced with the right set up they are fantastic sport horses and nothing beats riding a good TB .

But I don't want a tb.

Capriole

Visit site
"Horses are cheap these days, it's the cost of keep in' um you gotta watch out for." - said to me while I was walking my friends tb on tendon rehab.

Cant really argue with that though. £2000 or £10,000, that's just the beginning of the expenses and the thin end of the wedge :p

No, I don't want another TB either, cheap or free, got one and she's nice enough but not really where my interest lies so I'd not go for another.

tallyho!

Visit site
Cant really argue with that though. £2000 or £10,000, that's just the beginning of the expenses and the thin end of the wedge :p

No, I don't want another TB either, cheap or free, got one and she's nice enough but not really where my interest lies so I'd not go for another.

Oh no of course not... My point was that she hit the nail on the head but also highlighted why people end up in a struggle.

Of course I know that , I phrased that badly I meant was you can get a huge amount for your money if you pick the right TB and you have the right set up to retrain one .

Lol, yes I knew you knew, I was trying to be funny which didn't come across neither... Oh well!

My family love their tb's and my dad loves them, my uncle was a jockey and my cousins event them. I just don't fancy them the same and if someone gave one to me for free I'd be embarrassed to say no but I'd have to!!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Race bred TB's are a different case, though. Racing rejects can make great general riding and competition horses but it isn't what they were bred for. Someone, somewhere will have lost a lot of money along the way as they are essentially 'discards'.

Agree with JG, that many people (not you, GS) seem to have little idea how much it costs to breed a foal. My homebred rising 3yo filly 'cost' me the £550 stud fee, but I simply daren't add up all the ancillary costs that it has taken to raise her to this age.