Wagon... what's it worth

Super_starz

Visit site
I have the opportunity to purchase a 7.5t wagon which needs a new cab but has a bigger living than mine.

However, in order to see if the figures work out I need to know how much my current wagon is worth. I've had a look online but they vary so much! So, what do you think the following maybe worth:

-2000 Layland daf 7.5t
-Day living fitted with plenty of cupboards
-Stalled for 3 horses and has low payload to allow this.
-No Luton
-Tilt cab, sound and very well looked after
-average mileage
-resprayed 2 years ago
- External tack lockers

iconique

Visit site
Theres a couple of things that you haven't mentioned that also affect value (or when I was looking what I would pay?)
Does it have a cut thru? - cut thru is always more desirable and is more money
What is the unladen weight - good unladen weight lorries always sell
Plating/Test - long test always sells better and something with only a few months, people think will cost lots to put thru a test, so don't pay as much.
Then its down to looking at what else is selling around you and how quick you want to sell?
Sorry can't help more, but sure someone else can?

Super_starz

Visit site
Thank you for your reply....

No cut through, unsure of unladen weight off the top of my head but well within with 3horses, show gear and fuel. 8months plus test but may not be for sale for a good few months yet but if close to test date next year would put through again as fingers crossed always seems ok!

Super_starz

Visit site
I know it's hard without pics, I have no idea how to put load them!

I'm based in north west, & I was actually thinking around 6.5k but wondered if that was too much!

What's the best website to view other horse boxes for sale? I've tried horse quest/horsemart/h&h but there isn't many comparables.

ossy

Visit site
I have very similar to you daf 45 no external tack lockers but is newer, 56 plate and if I was to advertise mine i would go for say around £10,000. So depending how smart yours was I'd go for anything between £6k and £9.5k, I think for £20k id expect more than day living so in my humble opinion I think that is way off the mark.

On a side note I was in a position where my old wagon needed a new cab, wagon was super reliable horse area was in good condition but cab had just gone to rust and wouldn't pass another MOT (she was of 1996 age) I priced up a new cab keeping the same chassis and actually finically it was better to buy a 56 plate box wagon and swop the boxes on the back. Be careful buying a better horse area at the expense of cab condition or age of wagon, especially if your current wagon is so reliable and well maintained as you could end up with a money pit.

alainax

Visit site
I know it's hard without pics, I have no idea how to put load them!

I'm based in north west, & I was actually thinking around 6.5k but wondered if that was too much!

What's the best website to view other horse boxes for sale? I've tried horse quest/horsemart/h&h but there isn't many comparables.

Sounds about right price wise. Try facebook too.

VRIN

Visit site
I have very similar to you daf 45 no external tack lockers but is newer, 56 plate and if I was to advertise mine i would go for say around £10,000. So depending how smart yours was I'd go for anything between £6k and £9.5k, I think for £20k id expect more than day living so in my humble opinion I think that is way off the mark.

On a side note I was in a position where my old wagon needed a new cab, wagon was super reliable horse area was in good condition but cab had just gone to rust and wouldn't pass another MOT (she was of 1996 age) I priced up a new cab keeping the same chassis and actually finically it was better to buy a 56 plate box wagon and swop the boxes on the back. Be careful buying a better horse area at the expense of cab condition or age of wagon, especially if your current wagon is so reliable and well maintained as you could end up with a money pit.

I agree.

Super_starz

Visit site
Thanks, luckily my dad has some good contacts & I know I can get either an 04 Man or 06 daf both in decent condition for just under 3k, so I just need to do the rest of the maths!

Also, when I say cab, I also mean new chassis & just swapping the actual box.

Last edited:

ossy

Visit site
Thanks, luckily my dad has some good contacts & I know I can get either an 04 Man or 06 daf both in decent condition for just under 3k, so I just need to do the rest of the maths!

Ah so you just want the box off this other wagon, that makes sense, I was surprised how well mines turned out doing the same. Just make sure the chassis of any new box wagon you look at is the same length width ect as the one your buying on the old chassis otherwise transferring gets more tricky. I got my daf 56 plate box van for £3,500 and got back ~£1,000 for the chassis and a few other parts of my old 96 daf a new cab for my 96 wagon was around £1,800.
Lucky hubby did all the labour.

Super_starz

Visit site
Yes I am lucky too, as my dad has the labour task in hand. Unfortunately I have a very non horsey husband that might not be too willing!

We have done it before and it does work well. I just only want to go ahead if it doesn't actually cost me anything in the long run - which I know is a very big ask but I think possible!

Last edited:

popsdosh

Visit site

Thats fine but lots of traps that dont always seem obvious to people be cautious.If you are going to the trouble go for a younger chassis as you can get 2010/11 for 4K

Last edited:

popsdosh

Visit site
Yes I am lucky too, as my dad has the labour task in hand. Unfortunately I have a very non horsey husband that might not be too willing!

We have done it before and it does work well. I just only want to go ahead if it doesn't actually cost me anything in the long run - which I know is a very big ask but I think possible!

If your lucky DD will come and buy it !sorry to me its 4-5k max for what you describe.

Puzzled

Visit site
Is it a 'make' or just a standard conversion....plenty of boxes going for £18-20000 if they're professional built by a well known builder for that price...though most have toilet/shower as well.

popsdosh

Visit site
Is it a 'make' or just a standard conversion....plenty of boxes going for £18-20000 if they're professional built by a well known builder for that price...though most have toilet/shower as well.
The OP has already stated no cut through and tipping cab so at best a converted box with a bit of day living at the front.
Not that age ! I dont care what people are asking they are not getting it. I could point you to several coachbuilts of that era that will cost you half that lol.

eggs

Visit site
If you had a weighbridge certificate showing that it could legally take 3 horses that would make it more desirable. If it is really only able to take two horses (which most 7.5 ton can only do) then I wouldn't be looking to pay more than about £7k

star

Visit site
I have a DAF 45 2000 reg. I paid 16.5k for it 4yrs ago. Not sure what it's worth now, got it insured for 12k still. It's all singing and dancing with cut through, full fitted living, shower and toilet, reverse camera, awning etc. No way is the one described in the original post worth 20k. Maybe 7.5k?