Waiting for the vet :(

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Oh my goodness I am so sorry :( That is horrible. What about your other horse? Do they live in the same field?

I have three others. Only one is on the exact same field just now and I will move her tomorrow. He has been else where until a month or so ago where as they have been on the place since July. I have had horses here before with no problems.

I was just reading up about it and it is so vague as to what could be the cause it would be hard to take any precautions at all.

I'm not happy with the first vet now I have read the symptoms it's pretty clear that was a contender from the outset.

windand rain

Visit site
Sorry for your loss I had hoped he would be ok it is an awful disease but sadly the one that come to mind. That and Atypical Myopathy at this time of year

Honeylight

Visit site
Your other horses should be ok. one horse died at a yard I was at & about 7 more grazed in the field & were fine.
So sorry about the pony. It is a horrible & strange illness.

Spring Feather

Visit site
I was just reading up about it and it is so vague as to what could be the cause it would be hard to take any precautions at all.

I'm not happy with the first vet now I have read the symptoms it's pretty clear that was a contender from the outset.

Yes it is vague and difficult to take precautions with. I'm very sorry indeed :(

holeymoley

Visit site
So sorry, he looked sweet. It's such a bizarre illness, I'm surprised they've not came up with an answer for it yet. Might I ask what part of Scotland you're in? I remember reading somewhere that Perthshire was very common for grass sickness for some reason :confused:

Javabb94

Visit site
I had a worrying feeling to it was GS but didn't want to say anything either :(

I too lost my shetland on July 7th this year to GS he had acute I think and within 24hours had gone from being perfectly healthy to unsavable

It's such a horrible thing to go through so sorry for your loss :(

FfionWinnie

Visit site
So sorry, he looked sweet. It's such a bizarre illness, I'm surprised they've not came up with an answer for it yet. Might I ask what part of Scotland you're in? I remember reading somewhere that Perthshire was very common for grass sickness for some reason :confused:

Yes I am in Perthshire, near Dundee which is meant to be a hot spot. But the pony has lived in Perthshire all its life.

I am on sandy soil and it is well churned up just now as you can imagine, he was also a good doer which is another possible link.

I will get a mag lick. Other than that I don't know what I can do really. :(

holeymoley

Visit site
That's really interesting. I'm in the west and we had one local case of grass sickness a few years ago. I really don't know what the trigger is :confused:

Nari

Visit site
I'm so sorry. You did everything you possibly could though, and at least he wasn't left to linger on in pain & distress.

Sleep tight lad x

Burmilla

Visit site
Oh, I'm so very sorry to read this. Poor you and daughter. He looked a cracking pony, and very well, too, in the photo. Your daughter looks lovely and as if she is really enjoying him.
GS is a horrible disease, and I believe, one that is difficult to recover from in many cases. You did the very best you could, and he is pain free and at peace now. Hugs and love to you and daughter. xx

FfionWinnie

Visit site
That's really interesting. I'm in the west and we had one local case of grass sickness a few years ago. I really don't know what the trigger is :confused:

The vet said another vet at the practice has seen several recently. I have kept horses in Fife, Midlothian and Perthshire and never known anyone who has had it in a horse. I hope I never do again.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
To be honest I knew when he kept coming to me he was begging for help and I had told him what a good pony he was before I left the vets because I thought he was dying. I was hoping to be wrong of course.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Another one who is genuinely very sad to hear the outcome. You did all you could and I think a good deal more. So sorry it wasn't to be for him. What a bloody shame :( Sleep well Harry xxx

Hugs for you and your daughter.