Waiting on Farrier

Sagamoon

Visit site
Does anyone's Farrier ever come on time? Currently waiting 1.5 hours now and still not here! Even when I'm his first morning appointment he's still late!

meleeka

Visit site
Mines always early and that’s infuriating too! With 5 I like to be ready. They live out so I need to find 5 headcollars (always a challenge as they mostly different sizes) get them in, put some hay in their stables and I like to pick their feet out and make sure they have semi clean legs. What actually happens is farrier arrives up to an hour early when I’ve just got there and says not to worry, he doesn’t mind waiting, while I rush around putting ponies in. They are then grumpy because they haven’t had their breakfast hay, while he’s forced to make his own tea. ?
I’m usually second appointment of the day, the first is a yard of many, so I think he must either over estimate times or people don’t want them doing after all. I like to have him in the morning so they aren’t stood in for too long in the winter (I keep them in overnight so that aren’t muddy).
These days I just turn up an hour early but he still catches me unready sometimes.

CMcC

Visit site
I think I have the only farrier who turns up early!

ETA Meleeka just read your post, at least mine is usually only 15 minutes early, but I know the feeling of running round while they wait.

Sprat

Visit site
In all of the years I've used my farrier, I don't think he has ever been late. He can sometimes turn up early, but generally 10 mins early tops. He is immaculate with his timekeeping.

I wouldn't want to be waiting around for over an hour or so with no prior reason why (difficult previous job etc.)

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Current farrier doesn't give me a time, just a day, although it's usually some time between 11.30 and 1pm. I get a call saying he'll be there in 5 minutes, which results in me jumping off the sofa and running out to the field.
I don't mind, he's the best farrier in the area and lovely with the horses. He was the only farrier who could keep my former retired mare comfortable and field sound.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Had the same farrier for 15yrs and he’s 99% on time. On several occasions I’ve completely forgotten he’s coming luckily the horses have either still been in or a friends helped me out. Once I was in Poland when I got a call from him as I’d forgotten he’d changed the time to an afternoon appointment and I’d arranged for the carer to be there first thing ??‍♀️ - he’s used to me being dizzy now. A large bottle of Polish vodka was given as an apology.

9tails

Visit site
I always book two appointments in advance and make sure I'm first on his list for the day. Otherwise he may not arrive until after dark as he loves to chat to all his customers.

asmp

Visit site
Used to have a farrier like yours. Sometimes he wouldn’t turn up at all! Always had an excuse. Was glad when I moved to a different county. Farrier now is rarely late, quite often early.

BSL2

Visit site
Mine does his best. Sometimes early. He will text if running late. If I've heard nothing after half hour, I ring. If no response, I know we've had a diary glitch and go home.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Used to have a farrier like yours. Sometimes he wouldn’t turn up at all! Always had an excuse. Was glad when I moved to a different county. Farrier now is rarely late, quite often early.
We had a series of farriers like that. Always some excuse why they weren't there. Must have had the most unreliable vans in the country. Problems with them turning up drunk too then losing licence and had to have apprentice to drive the van. Too many hours to count wasted waiting. Glad I don't need to any more.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Mines usually very good, either on time or within 15 minutes of that, or will text me with an ETA. Although he did cancel me yesterday to get an Osteo appointment (no problem) and said he’d rebook me but I haven’t heard anything yet!

Supertrooper

Visit site
Does anyone's Farrier ever come on time? Currently waiting 1.5 hours now and still not here! Even when I'm his first morning appointment he's still late!
I had one who would text me 2/3 minutes before appointment time and say I can’t come. After knowing that each time pony had to be sedated

We parted on good terms and my next farrier was brilliant, always on time and would text me ten mins before he was due to arrive so I could catch pony etc

teddypops

Visit site
Mine is always late but he keeps me informed. My ponies are at home so it’s not a problem. I used to have a farrier who would come really early then get pissed off because I wasn’t there! He knew what time I finished work but would regularly ring to see where I was.

View

Visit site
Makes me glad I used to hack to farrier. We were his first appointment every 5th Saturday. Wonderful man with the horses, excellent work and always had a haynet waiting for our lad. And for the one appointment a year at the field when he came in from his holiday, Jock was always on time to put that set of shoes on so that we could ride back to the stable in daylight.

Always loved listening and learning from him. A wonderful horseman as well as farrier.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Mine usually turns up early - often VERY early. He was 2 hours early this week, so the horse wasn't in, and had muddy legs! I smiled sweetly and said "Don't even THINK about moaning"!
Mine did this once, well worse actually. I got there as he was leaving having done 3 sets and two trims an hour before he was due!
They had apparently just popped the locked gate off it’s hinges. Kind of nice as I then had a free morning but made me review my yard security!
Current farrier is never booked for a particular time but I say after 1 and he calls about an hour before which works well.