Wales and west / cricklands grass rings

Polos

Visit site
Has anyone jumped at wales and west / David broome event centre / cricklands on the grass rings?

I’ve booked a stable for the derby show and was so excited to go (I’ve just started competing after a couple of years break) as I’ve heard great things about their shows so I mentioned to a friend I’m going and she’s just said the grass rings are so awful so I shouldn’t bother going. Are they really that bad? :(

Obviously if the ground was too hard or too soft I’d jump another class instead of the derby but that’s not exactly something I can decide until I’m there. It’s just put a bit of a downer on it and I’m thinking maybe I should just cancel the stable and stay at home..

Michen

Visit site
The derby is in a massive area I think over several fields, can’t see why your friend thinks it’s bad but I’ve only been there for the winter SJ champs where some was on grass rings and they were fine.

Wouldn’t worry at all.

Snowfilly

Visit site
I know a lot of people who jump at cricklands and never heard anything except that the grass could be a bit skiddy and be careful with your studs and sometimes take a longer route for safety.

It's all about riding to the conditions and being sensible.

racebuddy

Visit site
Ive jumpes at wales for years and love it however the ground can be a bit slippy however mine is unshof and jumped
Fine but i belive they are doing
New arena so wont actualyllu have the derby ring now , i used to do the championship all the time however last year i did the stay away shows showjumping and loved it better , busy but less hassell can pick and choose classes , more time for horses to relax amd recover , i am 5
Hours away so always stay over the sunday night ,
Any questipms feel free to ask

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Ballan can be quite slippy and has a small sloped bit, but I have heard will only be used for ponies this year. Popular is on a slope and have to say is my least favourite to jump in but they have the derby trials in there (or did last year). The beautiful Castle which was the main derby ring is in the process of being ripped up and made all weather :(. Superflex is all weather already and can be divided into 3 if needed if the ground is too bad to use the others (which they did at the Masters last year).

CJoe

Visit site
The main derby ring is now being changed to arena surface, it will be unlikely any future derbies will be on grass???? or possibly partial grass. It will be ready for this years' derbies apparently, so I am really chuffed I got to do it last year on grass including the huge bank, with my gelding! The derby was run over one grass ring, and into Castle arena if you'd gone clear...., really had no issue with the ground at all.

As long as you use studs, any of cricklands grass rings are in great condition, I've dressaged and jumped on them, they are never grazed etc, they are purely competition rings.