Walk/ground work suggestions

charlotte0916

Visit site
Hi all,

My 5yr old is currently on box rest/walk work having been kicked 4 weeks ago. I’ve just been told she has to have another 6 weeks to help subsequent bone chips settle, with walk work and turnout in a stable sized pen possible. The idea is she can do things to stay sane but must stay in walk.

I’m hoping people might have some bright ideas of bits of ground work possible in halt/walk to keep her very big brain somewhat occupied?

She came to me with limited ground manners (leading her was an extreme sport) and we’ve since improved that so she now leads like a dog, stops on a voice command and largely waits quietly when asked. I’m in the process of teaching her to ‘park’ quietly without being held too and little bits (2 steps at a time) of leg yielding when we potter around the arena.
Also asking her to move back which she will do with resistance (mare stare and often thinks about nipping) so tips for improving that one also welcome.

More suggestions keenly welcomed!

Uliy

Visit site
My mare is also on box rest and I’ve just signed up to Miri Hackett’s Patreon to do some groundwork to keep us both occupied! It cost me £6 for the month.

I’ve only been doing it for 2 days but my mare seems to have responded well so far! Might be worth having a look ☺️

charlotte0916

Visit site
I hadn’t even thought of that, what a good idea I love her training style! I’ll definitely look into that, thank you ?

My mare is also on box rest and I’ve just signed up to Miri Hackett’s Patreon to do some groundwork to keep us both occupied! It cost me £6 for the month.

I’ve only been doing it for 2 days but my mare seems to have responded well so far! Might be worth having a look ☺️

fredflop

Visit site
Find a trainer you like and stick to their programme. Chopping and changing between programmes is often confusing for the horse.