Walking backwards - what to do??

hunteress

Visit site
my new horse did this but i let him walk backwards stand then I put leg on and he walked forward his old owner used to get off him when he did his and it was a very very bad habit now he go's forward plenty schooling and we hunt so thats helped but when I first took him hunting he did this and we laughed every one said look he's moonwalking i just didn't make it an issue also check out saddle teeth (which im sure you have) tack he might be in pain !! good luck.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Mine does this sometimes. The last time he did it, I made him go backwards until he sat on his ar£e in a prickly bush. He hasn't done it since, strangely enough
smirk.gif

moodymare1987

Visit site
My friends horse used to do it really bad. She got me on him and I give him a good few smacks and never really bothered since. In my opinion I would much rather give the horse a smack than try backing it down a bridlepath. I would end up in the canal or down steep banks. Or have horse rear over on me.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I tried the few good smacks route with Dizz - well, tried one and it's bl00dy amazing how quick her back end can go up
blush.gif
The Thelwell kicks work well with Dizz, on the whole. We have been down a ditch backwards, which is not good.

Cuffey

Visit site
An old couple I used to help would get the hunting whip out and walk behind the nappy horse/pony cracking it as necessary--it was never hit.
Then they always carried a hunting whip out hacking so if the nappy horse refused to go in front again the whip was cracked.
It doesnt usually take them long to realise life is actually more fun if you co-operate.

Storminateacup

2nd star on the right and straight on 'til morning
Visit site
My old mare used to rear spin and go backwards when I hacked out alone. I spent hours quietly trying to make her walk forward, then one day in desperation I made her back down the road ( it was a very quiet road) for about 100 yards.
She was so confused, it worked and she never did it again.

The other method is throw a bucket of water over the rump, if you know when the horse is going to do it.
Just shock tactics like this and the yard broom method really work.

sweepeep

Visit site
This is happening to me now with my pony but I've read through everyone's comments and I'll be walking backwards aboard him the very next time this happens! I am seriously losing the will to ride him, especially when everyone else's horses on our yard are so well behaved :( (sorry for the hijacking of the post) x

L&M

Visit site
Backing up is a form of napping, but first you need to establish why the horse is doing it - it is scared or being disobedient? My 5 yr old was doing it on hacks, usually when something scared him, so was down to a lack of confidence. I would either let him reverse until he stopped himself, sit very quietly and let him assess the situation, then as soon as I had a hint of him going forward would leg on and praise. Very occasionally I would get off and lead him past whatever was scaring him, but never saw that as failure as we were still going in the direction I wanted to go.

I am proud to say he rarely does it now, and as I have also learnt the signals, can 9 times out of 10 keep him going forwards as I feel him hesitate. He is learning to trust me and I feel more confident in dealing with the situation, therefore it is becoming less of an issue.

With the ones that are doing through disobedience, then I would be getting the stick/broom etc out, or if you don't feel confident enough to do so, get some help.

Good luck and hope you resolve the situation.