Walking etiquette- dog loose in garden.

Smitty

Visit site
I have never given it a second thought. I walk on a footpath where 4 little dogs come to the gate and bark, my dog just completely ignores them and carries on going, but if he did go to the gate and engage them, he would go straight on a lead and be dragged away.

I walk down the terrace where I live and there is often a barking dog in the front room at the window. Never bothered me nor dog, much the same as one walk where there are various guarding breeds patrolling the fencing and we run a gauntlet down the lane, he doesn't bother, I just hope the fencing is adequate!!

Another walk does pass through a farmyard (well, it is actually a lane in the middle of outbuildings) and we are often followed at very close quarters by a couple of collies, not so great, and further on there is sometimes a loose Springer whose owner apparently laughs if it goes for your dog... But hey, that's what walking sticks are for😁

My parents actively encouraged the Alsation x I found roaming to patrol the front of our farm's driveway! Any bird, dog or person was met with a hearty Get Out Of It from my father, which Billy enthusiastically joined in with, as added muscle 😂😂

I have lived in a semi rural property and never stopped the dogs from barking. We were burgled before we had a dog, and twice attempted after when the barking deterred the thieves once during the night and on another occasion, alerted a lady down the lane.

I live in a Victoria terrace now with a garden surrounded by other gardens. I don't let my dog bark in the garden, although other people let theirs, and he only barks at the front door if someone knocks.

But no, he would not be allowed, if he were so inclined, to gob off at a dog on the boundaries of its own property.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
That's typical of dog walkers today though. I'd be horrified if mine started doing that to someones dog in their own back garden, she would soon get short shift for her trouble, we'd pull her away from the situation and put her on her lead.

But in my Mums garden when we let her out for a wee, she zooms out and barks like crazy to the fence between Mum and her neighbours garden and they let their dog out and both dogs are launching themselves at the fence barking ferociously. But when they actually meet face to face out on the front they ignore each other totally. Its more the fun of the chase and the fun of asserting dominance. Its a once a week occurrence when we visit Mum so I don't see it as any bother.
See, this would and did pi$$ me right off with the neighbour’s son’s dog, it would go nuts at mine and mine would go nuts back. I think mine should be allowed to be in their own garden without being harassed by a visitor’s dog being aggressive. This was the dog that attacked Zak in the carpark without provocation and that’s when he started being aggressive with other dogs. There was no need for him to bring the dog, he lived round the corner. I used to keep mine in if I knew he was there. Ruddy delighted when he moved abroad and took the dog. They weren’t remotely bothered when the neighbours on the other side got a dog.

You might not see it as any bother, I bet the neighbour isn’t thrilled. I think it’s extremely inconsiderate.

malwhit

Visit site
I like my privacy and would get some willow screening up so people cant look in and the dogs can't see each other. Or a second fence a few inches in from the first.

To me a garden is a place to relax in & I don't want snarling/barking dogs

malwhit

Visit site
Oops I pressed Enter before I finished typing my reply

My garden is a place to relax & I don't want it spoiled by snarling dogs. Either mine or stranger ones.

One of the reasons I didn't get another Mini Schnauzer was because the local ones wlere all hyper and barking/growling. When I contacted breeders I asked how noisy their dogs were and the reply came back as "Yàppers" . I even went to see a litter & the constant barking of the breeders other dogs helped me decide to change breeds. I ended up with a Whippet 😊

HopOnTrot

Visit site
I like my privacy and would get some willow screening up so people cant look in and the dogs can't see each other. Or a second fence a few inches in from the first.

To me a garden is a place to relax in & I don't want snarling/barking dogs
Our garden is big and very rural so double fencing or a willow screen would look really odd (and cost a fortune), I’ve been in the garden for hours today and not one person has walked past!