Walking in hand- what do you use?

Cash

Visit site
Bridle with reins? Bridle with lead rope/lunge rein? Headcollar and lead rope..?

Am preparing to take the TB for a walk round the farm this afternoon if the arena still hasn't thawed. He hasn't been out for nearly a WEEK
frown.gif
(apart from occasional slithers across the yard to go on the walker)
What should I use? Bearing in mind he will be full of beans..which makes me think I'll want a bridle..but then isn't that a little dangerous in case he gets loose..?
confused.gif

Didn't ever really walk my old horse in hand, as the one time I did (when he was ill...!) he was pretty terrible, rearing and bolting- and I didn't fancy my chances when he was healthy!!

dwi

Visit site
I'll second the bridle and a lungeline. Yes he could tread on it and give himself a sock in the teeth if he gets lose but he's much less likely to get lose if he's on a lungeline as you can let him run abit but make sure you have a very firm hold on the end. I'd also take a whip to tap on the chest if they try to barge past.

Can you tell I've done this before?
wink.gif

soulfull

Visit site
Or pressure halter. Also if you think he may be silly hat and gloves for you!! Personally I always use a pressure halter but you would have needed to have already taught him how to 'give' to the pressure.

Treats in pocket too in case you need a distraction

Pixxie

Visit site
i usually use bridle and reins but both mine are pretty sane in hand even if they pull a little they wont piss off or go up etc

but please put a hat and gloves on M icy out there and yeah id like you in one piece please
laugh.gif
xx

Tickles

Visit site
If going with a lunge line (prob. a good idea, espec. if the farm is open enough for him to get on to roads or anything if you loose him) do be careful not to wrap all the spare around your hand/arm. I find it *very* tempting at times.

And, if there is anywhere at all that is safe (snowy not icy) for him to have a roll and ideally a buck too - go there first!

humblepie

Visit site
Ditto bridle, lunge line, hat and gloves. A chifney can also be really useful - have seen the use of one transform a hand walking beast into a well behaved poppet.

251libby

Visit site
I normally use head coller and leadrope for my mare but she is a dope on a rope to lead even after a week of boxrest.
I would use bridle and lungeline.

Marchtime

Visit site
I've took my TB out for a brief walk round the school today. He was in a chifney with a leadrope. If we hadn't been in an enclosed area I would have used a lunge line. Definitely hat, gloves and whip and make sure someone else is around.

Charmaine18

Visit site
I sometimes take Scooby out for a walk down the lane in-hand, just for a bit of variety, and I use a bridle just with the reins. I wear a hat, gloves etc just to be safe, but he's really very good to lead and I've never worried about him running off. The lunge line is a good idea - I'd never have thought of that.

ha903070

Visit site
Bridle, pelham and lunge line through the snaffle rings under her chin, I do every kind of leading in this after resorting to leading lessons with my big mare last year, its the only thing she respects - and although she is far far better than before if I let slip and put the headcollar on instead she picks up on it immediately - they are clever!!

RobinHood

Visit site
If I'm expecting trouble then bridle, lunge rein, roller and side reins, although I wouldn't use side reins if it was icy as they can't get their head up if they slip.

RachelB

Visit site
After having my mare (laziest, softest, sweetest thing I've ever met) explode on me a couple of times after five months of box rest, I would always lead in a bridle or chifney. I personally use a bridle with reins taken off, a Newmarket chain, and an extra long leadrope.

golddustsara

Visit site
I just use a bridle and reins but my boy is very trustworthy. Its a good idea imo as mine explodes more on the lunge than walking in hand so its a good way to keep him supple and enjoying life whilst I wait for his back to heal.

HairyHatMan

Visit site
My mare is on box rest with 15 mins walking in hand. Tried everything, and resorted to bridle, roller, draw reins from between legs to bit rings to me......and sedalin. Still managed to throw herself onto the floor last time out.

There's no hope.

maybedaisy

Visit site
When my mare was on box rest I used my Richard Maxwell Pressure Halter, 30ft rope, hat and gloves. She still went bonkers quite a bit but I could let her get on with it on the end of the rope.

somethingorother

Visit site
i would go for bridle and lunge line too.

But long term i would do ground work to make sure that i didn't NEED to have a bridle/ chifney / pelham in every time i wanted to walk inhand for the rest of my life. Then you are prepared for next time. It's understandable when they have been kept in for a while, when it's the odd time. But i would still want my horse to know to listen to me, as much as i would expect him to if i was on board.

qwertyuiop

Visit site
My horse has been on box rest and hand walking for 12 weeks now and I always use a chifney. He kicks off big time at least once per walk and he can lift me (72kg) off the ground in a pressure halter. With a chifney I can at least influence his behaviour.