Walking out after 6 weeks box/paddock rest

miamibear

Visit site
Hiya All

Im wondering if you can help me?

I have started (yesterday) my boys walking programme, 10 mins a day increasing by 5 mins a week for 6 weeks. Hes a 17hh cobxID

He has arthritis (DJD) in all three hind lower limb joints due to poor leg confirmation and therefore strain on his suspensory ligament showed damage on the scans (hence his rest)

He has been correctively shod and on a good joint supplement now since he was diagnosed and is standing much better and seems to be brighter. But it is due to poor confirmation (bad angles) in his hind legs, his fetlocks drop too low. Ive only had him for a year and when i bought him he had only been hacked out and pootled about once every few weeks and i slowly started a more strenuous programme of dressage lessons etc

Anyway my question is, whilst i realise that the walking in hand is to strengthen the legs would there be any benefit in popping some sports medicine boots on his hind legs for support, or is that defeating the object?

I want to be as careful as possible, if this doesnt work then the vet suggests he might have to be retired and hes only 8!

I have magnetic boots but im struggling to keep them on his legs as he dislikes the feeling of them.

Any suggestions/help/advice would be most welcome

Thank you in advance

Mel

Luci07

Visit site
bumped because I am interested in the answer - as in theory the boots will offer more support but you are trying to strengthen the legs first?!

miamibear

Visit site
Thank you, i thought it was probably best from a strengthening point of view, hes very well behaved and chilled out to be honest so i dont have any problems that way.

I will keep on without the boots and consider them if we ever get back to riding again.

Thank you for your help

Mel