walking out in hand

Paddy Irish

Visit site
this may seem like a pointless post , but tomorrow I'm going to walk PI out in hand ( don't really want to ride until vet/chiro/someone(anyone) with any real knowlege tells me it's ok to ride. Anyway i'm strangely quite nervous as i always feel more in control on board , and despite the last time i had to bale-out the numpty jumped on my toe and broke it:rolleyes:. So i need some hints and tips please , i.e bridle or head collar? Roller / side reins or just a bimble in the sun? I don't envisage him being anything other than his laid-back self , but any other tips would be great..xx

Montyforever

Visit site
Bridle and hiviz if on the roads :)
Possibly a lunge line rather than reins though, and I always get my horse out the way of cars but forget to move myself :rolleyes:

Forester

Visit site
I regularly take my mare out in hand and find I have the best control using a bridle and a single lead rein attatched to the bit by way of a 3 way chain coupling. Hope that this helps.

Paddy Irish

Visit site
From one sat here with a broken little toe that has been trodden on twice in the space of a week - may I suggest steel toe caps :D

ah ha that's one thing i WILL be wearing.:D sorry to hear your toe is squished , i know at the time mine was really painful ( for something so small anyway :rolleyes: )

Paddy Irish

Visit site
Bridle and hiviz if on the roads :)
Possibly a lunge line rather than reins though, and I always get my horse out the way of cars but forget to move myself :rolleyes:

that's just it isn't it , theoretically i'll be on the left , as normal , but it does mean he could sway / spook etc out into the traffic ( not that we'll encounter much - this is darkest cornwall after all).:rolleyes:

Paddy Irish

Visit site
I regularly take my mare out in hand and find I have the best control using a bridle and a single lead rein attatched to the bit by way of a 3 way chain coupling. Hope that this helps.

Hmm , i don't own a chain coupling , but i'm sure the local tack shop will have one , but for tomorrow , will a line threaded through the bit and clipped on the off side ( as some people do for lunging) be ok?

Beatrice5

Visit site
ah ha that's one thing i WILL be wearing.:D sorry to hear your toe is squished , i know at the time mine was really painful ( for something so small anyway :rolleyes: )

Amazingly painful I had just got my limp under control and could nearly walk when baggage got me again whilst changing fields :( I now have a massive limp and am most unsightly - only shoes I can fit in are crocs or wellies :(

Can you recommend me some reinforced boots ?

Paddy Irish

Visit site
Use a long lead rein or long reining rein. A lunge line would be better than a short lead rein, but may get tangled. And pop your hat on - just in case he is spooky. You may feel more confident with it on anyway. :)

Great idea about the hat nik , my friend may ride her boy out with me and PI , so i could always plead for a swap on the way home!!:D:D

Paddy Irish

Visit site
Amazingly painful I had just got my limp under control and could nearly walk when baggage got me again whilst changing fields :( I now have a massive limp and am most unsightly - only shoes I can fit in are crocs or wellies :(

Oh god it's all coming back to me in a horrible memory , i could only wear crocs , def couldn't even look at wellies. I have now got a pair of just togs steel toe caps , but i rarely wear them so they'll be pretty uncomfy cos i haven't really worn them in , but it's better to be safe cos breaking a toe really screws up your balance and your whole body :(

Littlelegs

Visit site
Echo advice given. Walk between him & traffic & carry a schooling whip, can be used to push quarters over if needed or for waving at cars etc. I tend not to bother with threading leadrope through, if no coupling available I just use the reins as they are.

Ollie's Mum

Visit site

You can't believe the amount of pain from something as tiny as a small toe can you? I think mine was about 6 weeks before it finally stopped hurting. I got a pair of Mountain Horse jodhpur boots with the steel toecaps. These -

http://www.robinsonsequestrian.co.uk/equine-product-details.asp?ID=1749