Walking with dog treats - what are your views?

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I think we are guilt of using the wrong word when we say treat, it is actually more of a reward as far as my dogs are concerned. Yes, I do carry bits of kibble when walking but the dogs only get it when they have earned it as others have said, be it coming back to me, ignoring a distraction or a bit of impromptu heelwork etc. I would never give a titbit to another persons dog without asking them.

planete

Visit site
The dog I raised from a pup no longer expects food rewards but a hard to obey command is always rewarded with a word, a touch or a quick game. My rescue bitches need all the help they can get to forget about chasing, harassing or sounding off and know treats will reward any show of good will. They will have to work harder and harder to get treats as they progress though. If a friend' s dog begs for a treat when I reward mine, I ask whether they would like to have one so they can give it to their dog themselves. Walking three dogs, it can be difficult to reward one and ignore the others but they all know the drill and have accepted it. I do not carry super yummy ones though (cooked beef Oz, wow!) unless I am working with just one of them.

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
I carry treats, as do a lot of local dog walkers round here. Our Parsons was a total nightmare with other dogs when we first got him and some of the first dogs he started to tolerate were those whose owners he could get biscuits off...

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Last night I decanted 300g of kibble into two right hand pockets and walked my dog a quarter of a mile to some sports pitches.
He got the first pocketful for a five minute downstay under distraction with me out of sight, and then the rest in dribs and drabs for bits of heelwork and positions and whatever. Then we walked back again. On other days, he'll get a bowl plonked on the floor.

Some dogs are not natural people-pleasers and it's hard to put in what isn't there.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
The dog I raised from a pup no longer expects food rewards but a hard to obey command is always rewarded with a word, a touch or a quick game. My rescue bitches need all the help they can get to forget about chasing, harassing or sounding off and know treats will reward any show of good will. They will have to work harder and harder to get treats as they progress though. If a friend' s dog begs for a treat when I reward mine, I ask whether they would like to have one so they can give it to their dog themselves. Walking three dogs, it can be difficult to reward one and ignore the others but they all know the drill and have accepted it. I do not carry super yummy ones though (cooked beef Oz, wow!) unless I am working with just one of them.

These :)

beef2_zps5591026e.jpg
[/URL]

dollyanna

Visit site
I see that I am in the total minority here but I expect my dogs (and my children) to do what I tell them through love and respect, not greed. I only know two dogs trained to KC Gold standard, both are as obedient as anything when the owner wears a bum bag of treats but completely ignorant without.
What happens if you are on a walk and you run out of food? Do they all vanish over the nearest horizon?

That would suggest a lack of finishing the training, training just to pass the test. My deaf boy passed KC Gold several years ago, he will work for anyone, with or without food. He recalls without food very easily, because I made sure his training got to that level, that's what I needed to keep him safe (eg if he accidentally escapes I need him to come back asap whether I have food or not). I don't NEED to carry rewards, and these days I am more forgetful about having them, I certainly use a lot less and many walks use nothing. But I see no reason why my boy shouldn't be paid for a job well done - in the beginning that job was harder for him so he got paid more frequently, these days he finds it much easier so he gets paid less often, and sometimes payment can be non-food. But at the end of the day if someone offered to pay me in mint chocolates (which I love) or giving me a hug (which I like a lot) I would rather have it in mint chocolate but the odd occasion a hug is ok - too many hugs and they lose their value though!

{97702}

Visit site
It would never occur to me to take treats/rewards out for my lot, other than when I rehome a new rescue and need that additional focus. Mine are rewarded by a pat/hug which they seem quite happy with :) Having said that, I never feed mine treats at all - not sure if it is because they are greyhounds but I find it makes them nippy and over-excited

Dizzydancer

Visit site
I'm with clodagh cruegan cult & levrier.
I have labs so majorly food orientated but I never treat/food reward them they do what I ask for a pat/cuddle. They both work well pup is in training to work and food rewards are not fond in the gundog circles we are in as it can encourage them to drop dummy/bird wanting treats.

They are both brilliantly behaved and recall is brilliant however if we meet people who talk to them etc and they do have treats in pocket both mine will attach to the pocket until I call them away- and I completely detest if people attempt to feed them- it's amazing how many people go to!!

gunnergundog

Visit site
Not that I care as my salivary glands are working over time, but what are the ones in the bottom picture? Prawn sesame toasts? (She says VERY hopefully!)

cremedemonthe

Visit site
I could force myself! :)

Buy it raw from Morrisons, cut it in to strips with sharp knife, cook in oven (200 degrees at least) fat side down on tray until golden brown, regularly drain fat off and re use for other things, let it cool and you have dog treats. Only little now and again as can be fattening for them and you!

{97702}

Visit site
My mum used to oven bake liver for treats for her show dogs - it stank when cooking, I hate liver, but the dogs loved it! It was ideal as it was totally dry so easy to stick in a pocket

cremedemonthe

Visit site
Lévrier;13421038 said:
My mum used to oven bake liver for treats for her show dogs - it stank when cooking, I hate liver, but the dogs loved it! It was ideal as it was totally dry so easy to stick in a pocket

Yes that's the second photo of mine above, just raw liver baked, dogs go mad for it.I play a game at home with them, hiding bits round the house then let them in to find it, they go mad sniffing everywhere and sound like demented dysons BUT they never miss any no matter how clever I think I am at hiding the pieces!

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I am not alone!

No you are not, I walk my two with a friend who has two labs, mine are springers, she always carries treats and I always think its quite sad that one of her dogs doesn't leave her side becuase she is constantly waiting for a treat whilst mine are in all the undergrowth enjoying themselves. Saying that they are extremely obedient.

Moobli

Visit site
I only use food treats as rewards when training - so generally if I have a young dog or a new-to-me older dog whose correct behaviour needs teaching or reinforcing. My dogs are very toy driven though, and so I almost always take a ball on our walks. I would no more offer a strange dog a treat as I would give it my own dog's ball to play with. We rarely see other dog walkers anyway though, so not a problem I have ever come across.

Personally I would suggest doing what works for you and your dog. If your dog will only recall away from distractions if you have food rewards - then so be it. Far better a treat given when the need arises than a dog who throws a deaf ear to your call (my sister's Border Terrier is like that!). I have found that breed also makes a considerable difference and also how you interact with your dog. I have GSDs and BCs and both are very handler dependent so I rarely have a problem with their bogging off or not recalling.

paddy555

Visit site
treats/rewards seem to be a very modern idea. I would never think of taking any with me. I expect the dog to do as it is told and to be praised by my voice. If it couldn't then perhaps it would still need to be on a lead. What would happen if it was going to run under a car? Would it only recall if it knew I had the treats with me? I would be furious if anyone gave it a treat in the same way that I wouldn't allow anyone to treat my horses.

Years ago I did GSD obedience training classes. We had about 20 GSD's all working without any sort of treat. I also did mixed breed obedience classes and again they all managed without treats. I don't think treats had ever occurred to anyone then so I am not sure why they are needed now.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
My dog works incredibly hard for me. It would never occur to me not to reward him **with the things that motivate him**. And he looks happy when he is doing it, which is the most important thing for me ;)

Can somebody explain to me the difference between feeding kibble from my pockets or off a track, and in a bowl? It's still the same food. And yes, he can and does work without it.