Wandering horse?

harvgj19

Visit site
So, had my second ride with the lady near me last night and I rode a different horse this time. This one is a wanderer!
crazy.gif

Whoever trained him for western didn't keep him straight, so he wobbles and wanders along any straight line, along the track and down the centre etc. What can I do to improve this?

He is slightly better in trot than walk, and better in canter than trot. He is not very forward going in walk, and would rather try to canter than trot forwards too. Also tries to go behind the vertical a lot, so had to lengthen my reins a bit and ride with my seat.

Any ideas?
smirk.gif

dwi

Visit site
When my girl wanders I shut my eyes and she goes straight again because I seem to be able to adjust her better through my seat with my eyes shut but not something I'd recommend with every horse

Tia

Visit site
I wonder if he was re-started in out of an arena? I have seen this happen - the horse seems to have no concept of straightness and needs to be taught to work to a line? I could be talking gobbledy-goop of course!!
grin.gif

harvgj19

Visit site
I think she restarted him in her arena, but she does lunge a lot, so maybe he was only worked on a circle. She also said that some of his unstraightness (is that a word?) was taught to him when he was broken to a Western saddle, so that on the long side of the arena he is almost doing shoulder in. On a free line, say down the centre, his quarters just swing from side to side, like he's not sure what to do with them!