Wanted: Professional Schooling for show jumping, Devon / South West area

Becki1802

Visit site
I wondered if anyone had any recommendations in the Devon area for someone to jump school my 5 year old for a week or two.

He is very athletic and jumping very well (according to my instructor) but he keeps bucking after the fences (mega bucks out of exuberance & cockiness) and I'm starting to lose confidence and hold on too tight which is making it worse (& may even be part of the cause of the bucking).

I was hoping for a quiet, kind but experienced rider to school him for a few weeks to see if they can ride him through it. I've looked around online but it is hard to tell credentials and whether they are a kind rider. The horse is sharp and has a strong personality so I know a beating will do no good!

If you have any experiences of anyone good or bad then please share. If you're naming someone bad I shouldn't use please PM me so the thread doesn't breach any rules!

Becki1802

Visit site
Has Erica Oldham got a website? I've found an email address on BSJA website.

Sarah Jane - I had thought of Justin Tuff, I was interested to hear peoples views on whether he is kind and quiet!

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Has Erica Oldham got a website? I've found an email address on BSJA website.

Sarah Jane - I had thought of Justin Tuff, I was interested to hear peoples views on whether he is kind and quiet!

I train with him and he is great, also whenever I have seen him at shows I have been impressed he seems a sensitive rider.

Becki1802

Visit site
No harm dropping him an email to gauge prices etc. How much is he for a lesson? PM me if you don't think you should post it publicly! I'm keen to have follow up lessons with whoever he goes to so best make sure I can actually afford them!!!
I have seen him at shows and it always looks good!!

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
No harm dropping him an email to gauge prices etc. How much is he for a lesson? PM me if you don't think you should post it publicly! I'm keen to have follow up lessons with whoever he goes to so best make sure I can actually afford them!!!
I have seen him at shows and it always looks good!!

He is doing clinics in Cornwall so will be different at his base. Have you seen http://www.justintuff.co.uk/

sassybebe

Visit site
Justin is a very good rider, and trainer BUT the general consensus seems to be he wont ride "difficult" or "naughty" horses and i do have some personal experience to back that up. Maybe try a lesson with him and see what he suggests, I would have thought yours is a fairly common problem he's lovely so don't be afraid to call him.

Becki1802

Visit site
Justin is a very good rider, and trainer BUT the general consensus seems to be he wont ride "difficult" or "naughty" horses and i do have some personal experience to back that up. Maybe try a lesson with him and see what he suggests, I would have thought yours is a fairly common problem he's lovely so don't be afraid to call him.

Thanks sassybebe, that is a good suggestion! To be fair to my horse I think the 'problem' is me hence the desire for a pro to step in for a little bit!! But if I had a lesson with him (or whoever I go with for that matter) before I send the horse away they will have a better idea of the issues and whether they can help me or the horse. Or whether my money would in fact be better spent on training with the trainer!!! I have a fair amount of time off in June so maybe spending the money of 2 or 3 lessons a week would be a compromise!!