War Horse - has anyone seen it, and what do they think of it

Faithkat

Visit site
I found bits of it hard to swallow. I just don't think anyone would have really given two hoots about the animals when faced with the horror of just staying alive but i appreciate this would not have made for a very nice film!
I also don't think any horses came back, im sure people will disgaree but seems like wishful thinking.

Ah, but the horses and mules WERE very much loved and valued. Read this:
http://www.firstworldwar.com/features/forgottenarmy.htm

and this was one of the most popular paintings of WW1
http://www.greatwardifferent.com/Great_War/Matania_3/Matania_19.htm

Percentage-wise not many horses came back but came back they did. For example, read General Jack Seely's book about his war horse Warrior (it is what inspired Michael Morpurgo to write "War Horse") and there was a very famous horse, coincidentally called Warrior who served in WW1 and came back to be a police horse in Southampton. I have walked past his grave often.

merrymeasure

www.winningpost-art.co.uk
Oh goodness, Faithkat, that makes harrowing reading, and I'm not ashamed to say I cried, especially the bit near the end about the mule.
I loved the film, and I think some people are being a bit harsh , but we're all entitled to an opinion. And I remember in an interview on BBC Breakfast with Steven Spielberg, he said those sunsets were genuine, as they had had "3 days of beautiful sunsets", as I must admit I thought they were CGI before I heard that. I cried in the film too, as did a lot of people around me. I think we owe so much to our four-legged friends, and to the men with whom they served so bravely.

wench

Visit site
. However, couldn't stop myself from comparing the horses to the book, Joey wasn't a throughbred and Topthorn wasn't..what he was supposed to be.

Sorry... this is wrong. In the book it states that Joey is a TB x... In the film it says he is half TB!

merrymeasure

www.winningpost-art.co.uk
Yes, that is interesting too, thank you, Faithkat. I have read the book "Warrior - The story of a real War Horse", and was very moved by it. How interesting there was another hero called "Warrior"! Its truly amazing they survived such horrors, when so many of their companions didn't. Reading about the light draft horses in the previous article, and he been around then, my horse, Murphy ,would have fell into that category, and the thought of him being in that situation fills me with horror.

Faithkat

Visit site
Me too. I just cannot imagine the anguish of a beloved horse just being taken away and I find the whole WW1 thing and the unimaginable horror very difficult to "get my head round". I wonder that anyone and, indeed, the horses, came back sane. My grandfather was taken prisoner of war and didn't come home until well into 1919. When he did come home he was found to have a serious middle ear infection which had not been treated and he and my grandmother were faced with the decision of not treating it and he would die or operate and he would be stone deaf for the rest of his life. He was 34 and had two small daughters one 8 and one 5 (that was my Mum!) They chose the operation . . . . .

TheoryX1

Visit site
I have to say I am intrigued at all the comments and I am also sitting her in tears after reading Faithcats article and that picture of the horse dying. Oddly enough it looks quite similar to my own horse. At 14.3 hh and a MW cob he may have been a bit small, but he would have been the type of draught horse they would have wanted and the thought of having to give him up to go to war fills me with horror.

I dont know if any of you are aware that but there is a large war memorial opposite Hyde Park in London which is dedicated to animals in war - all wars all over the world. It comprises of a monument with a line of animals waking up to it - dogs, goats, horses, birds etc. I was staying near there for a conference not so long ago and I got a couple of colleagues to walk up with me so that I could see it. One of the statues is of a llight draught type horse (ie a cob type), and I ended up in tears just looking at it, especially as it has the words on it 'They had no choice'. It does make you reflect on just how brave and genuine these animals were.

I am now going to read the booik and also that one about Warrior.

Horsemad12

Visit site
I enjoyed the film for what it was, not perfect but an enjoyable film that made me think hard (Slightly spoilt by nudges in the ribs from a boyfriend who had spotted himself!!)

It must be very hard to show horses emotions to the masses without "overdoing" it slightly. I found myself critical to start with, but then thought "just enjoy" and enjoy I did.

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
I found bits of it hard to swallow. I just don't think anyone would have really given two hoots about the animals when faced with the horror of just staying alive but i appreciate this would not have made for a very nice film!
I also don't think any horses came back, im sure people will disgaree but seems like wishful thinking.

Just wanted to say that they did care and some did come back:) We have photos and postcards from my great grandfather and his horse 'Gipsy' waiting at the coast to fo over to France. He wasn't an officer he was a 1st horseman on a gun carriage in the Artillery - so Gipsy would have been pulling a gun and he would have ridden her. She was his horse before the war and they both came back:)

I have seen the film - its is what you expect from a childrens Hollywood film:)

rara007

Visit site
In the film he wasn't a TB- they called him that but also said he was a cross, so I thought they were referring to him as a TB, as that as a type rather than cob :confused:
Had a very odd action for a TB :p

I've seen it twice, thought it was OK the first time but not that special, then the second time it was pretty hard work keeping my attention on it :eek:

derynw

Visit site
To the person who asked about the sunset at the end - Yes it really is like that. I grew up riding on the exact piece of moor that the majority of the dartmoor scenes were filmed. The moor gives off a red / golden hue in certain lights. It really is beautiful and I think Spielberg catches it perfectly

I did like it. I can see why people are disappointed but it was designed for the mass non horse owning / riding population who think horses behave in a certain manner, for example lying flat out to sleep etc. The finer points of equine behaviour have been roughed over by artistic license.

Ultimately it pays homage of sorts to all the horses that were lost in WW1 (and all the other animals that suffered, as well as the loss of human life). There were some heartbreaking scenes, in particular for me, the shooting of the broken down artitery horse who is then dragged away and the camera shows a mass pit of dead horses. Its just awful to think that was reality.

Thank you for confirming that - I take it all back and shall head down to dartmoor as soon as I can.
Think I must get the film on DVD and watch it more carefully because people keep mentioning things I never noticed - eg pit of dead horses - must get myself to Specsavers asap

Kat

Visit site
I've not read all the replies as I'm going to see Warhorse on Sunday and didn't want to ruin it. However I've just finished the book and loved it, although it is so sad. I don't cry at books or films much but this was so sad, and not too contrived, although there were a couple of unlikely coincidences! Would love to see the stage show!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com