Warble flies are they back?

Doncella

Visit site
I swear I saw one of these monsters. The noise they make is unmistakable. I've clocked them once or twice when I kept the horses alongside cattle about 10 years ago, but this is the first time I have seen them where there are no cattle at all.

teasle

Visit site
Wonder f what you have seen is the same big fly I have been seeing- but thought warble flies were eradicatd in uk and have seen these biggies other years too.

MrsNorris

Visit site
We've got horse bot flies around here, are they also called warble flies, I've never been sure?

They look a bit like big, long skinny bees, but not the same colour, was it ones of those?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Gawd, I hope not - they were horrid to deal with :(
The pushing out (gently) of the wriggling larvae from the neck or back was yuk (but necessary). We used to be adjacent to a huge herd & it was a long running problem back in the 70's & early 80's

katherine1975

Visit site
I remember riding with my mum years ago on two very sensible horses. We had a warble fly chasing us and the horses went nuts, I haven't seen one since and never want to again!

TrasaM

Visit site
I grew up on a farm and was beginning to think I'd imagined them as I've not heard anyone mention them or years. I remember how the cows used to take off if one came near them and the horrible and huge larvae under their skin.. Yuk!