Wardrobe advice

Baileysno1

Visit site
I'm hoping to have one of day hunting with the south wold on my veteran dressage horse this month and I'm facing a wardrobe dilemma,I have a navy velvet hat and smart navy dressage jacket (summer weight), shirt and cream stock, cream breeches, or a green wool tweed jacket. I will be hunting in my dressage saddle and fear if I turn up in navy I'm going to look like I got lost on the way to the arena, but I recall tweed is incorrect if you are over 21 after the opening meet (I am only just , well 32!)

Please advise in which outfit I'll look less stupid. Also if its the tweed do I need a coloured stock or is that eventing? I'm confused. I am going to leave my sparkly browband at home but refuse to invest ££££ in new clothes to canter about a bit for a few hours once a year,

Many Thanks :)

Carlosmum

Visit site
Personally I don't think it matters what you wear as long as you are neat & tidy. I'm sure navy is fine & you are correct that it should be cream or white stock with navy/black or coloured ( I wear spotted) with a tweed jacket.
If you go for the Navy make sure you are warm enough there can be alot of standing around.
Have fun, I wish I could hunt but my lad is a complete loon when he sees hounds its safer to stay at home.

Bernster

Visit site
Hopefully someone with actual knowledge will put you straight, but navy round our way is fine, with a plain white/cream stock. But you may be flipping cold so if you do choose that, then I'd opt for thermals or something warm on underneath your finery. I did wear a black comp jacket my first hunt then promptly got myself a proper hunt coat.

I've read on here that ratcatcher (tweed) is correct all year round, and I have seen people out in the main season in that, inc older peeps. If that's thicker, then I'd go with that as the better option. Again, I think you can go coloured or plain stock, I've done both in Autumn and main season. I'm sure they will just be pleased that you are neat n tidy and have made the effort, even if not in full regalia. I've even seen a bit of sparkle out there.

Hope you have fun. Dressage saddle may be interesting but presumably it keeps yer derriere in, but might be a bit restrictive on those gallops !

Addicted to Hunting

Visit site
Would prop go with the tweed will be alot warmer, and also going through trees in a lightweight showjacket is not ideal.
I'm going to go slightly against the others re the saddle, whilst not ideal, I've seen others hunting in a dressage saddle and if it fits you and the horse, then will be better than borrowing one. This does partly depend how long you are planning on being out and also if you are jumping. I hunt in my junp saddle and find it fine, and that's all day a short day for me is finished by 3 and then only because there is a reason too. But please please please don't take a schooling whip, it's really not ideal! Have a good time

spacefaer

Visit site
Tweed is correct at anytime - it'll be warmer and more practical than a summer weight show jacket.

There are some packs who prefer the field to wear ratcatcher rather than black/navy or scarlet

Have fun and report back!

Kat

Visit site
You will be fine in either jacket. Most adults will be in black or navy but if you will be warmer in tweed you won't be alone!

Just remove the white saddle cloth and bling so you don't look like you got lost on your way to the dressage!

I have hunted in a dressage saddle, it isn't ideal but the only comments I got were of the "you're brave" variety. We managed ok but I have now bought a second hand jumping saddle.

Baileysno1

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, tweed it is :) The dressage saddle isn't ideal I know but not planning on jumping, maybe a cheeky log and haven't sat on anything else in about a decade, we manage for fast work. I'm in denial that we wont compete BD again and not quiet ready to swap it for something more sensible...but maybe we'll get the hunting bug :)

Will report back

Baileysno1

Visit site
Morning all,

Happy to report our days hunting was a success old boy had the time of his life and apart from a cheeky buck was perfect, was a relatively quiet day but just right for us. My shoulders a feeling it a bit today but we'll definitely be joining local meets again in the future, no action shots I'm afraid but a few smart ones from the meet

Lennyhunting2.jpg
[/URL]
LennyHunting.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited: