Warm knee

crazybootlady

Visit site
I've been watching Titan's knee for a month. We were hauling home from a ride at the end of May and blew a tire on the trailer. The tire was changed and we arrived home. Checked horse over, and he had no marks on him and trotted up sound.

The next day he was chiropracted. He was very sore, and seemed to enjoy the session as it went on. He was handwalked/turnout for four days while I finished my last four days of military commitment.

When I returned there was a small bump on the lower portion of his left knee. Not huge. Half the size (probably signicficantly less....i am no good at estimating sizes) of a ping pong ball and it was slightly warm. He wasn't lame and never took an off step. Rubbed down with ointment and gave bute. No change in gait, no lameness, but on and off some low grade heat.

My assumption was that when we blew the tire on the trailer, he spooked/stumbled/lost balance and banged the knee on the side wall (slant load trailer) causing the swelling and low grade heat. I've dealt with the same issue before with a rear ankle, where the vet looked, (after i'd spent two weeks poulticing, wrapping, medicating) and said leave it be it will go down and be fine. And it was.

After the show Saturday, Titan was turned out all day Sunday and overnight, and brought in this morning. When I got to the barn this evening, there was some heat, I thought more than normal, but i may have just talked myself into thinking that. I rode him lightly for 20 min. Mostly walk, some trot and a lap of canter each way. He took 3-4 bad steps at trot, but nothing consistent. It felt almost like he did when he was foot-sore after a trim. (I picked and doublechecked his feet to make sure he didn't pick up a stone). Other than that he felt fine.

I used ice packs on his knees afterwards, and when I removed them, the outside lower portion of his left knee felt very warm in comparison to the rest of the joint which was very cool to the touch because of the ice.

I left a message at my vet's office and expect to have the call returned tomorrow. Is there anyone that has a "go-to" for funky knees? A sweat? Wrapping?

Again, am waiting on a call back from the vet. Just wanted others opinionswhile I wait.

Thanks