Warmblood or Irish help!!

BlueSocks

Visit site
Hello all I'm new on here and after your opinions / advice please! I'm looking for a new youngster to bring on as me next riding horse when my boy retires. He's 21 this year and although still fit and healthy obviously will start to slow down over the next few year and I want to let him grow old graciously and keep him plodding round the lanes happily for as long as poss. So I want a 1 -2 yo who can take over from him in the next few years.
Ive had my boy since he was 5 so it's a long time since ive looked for a horse. He is a Hanoverian x TB so I thought I'd look for another Hanoverian or X as Ive really enjoyed his character, lovely paces and athleticism. Although over the years he has been somewhat challenging at times with his fair share of quirks!! Then I chat with someone else whos really negative about me looking for another Warmblood and says go ISH all the way. I know Irish are great horses but will I feel like I'm riding a big pony (looking for 16 - 16.2 by the way), after being used to my boys huge stride. Are all Warmbloods a bit potty? What would be everyones thoughts - I dont want to make the wrong choice as this is my next horse for life hopefully, not a buyer and seller so character is as important as ability to me. Thanks all!!!:)

maxine1985

Visit site
All the ISH ive known have had fab trainable temperements and been very nice horses, a few warmbloods i've known have been talented but i wouldnt want to own them!! But then there will be people who have had the oppposite experience i'm sure.
My young horse i've recently purchased is a 5yr old ISH who came over from Ireland beginning of this year, he has been extremely easy, takes everything in his stride, is calm and sensible but still got something about him, certainly doesnt feel like a big pony, although he is quick on his feet and very athletic. Wouldn't change anything about him!

Gluttonforpunishment

Visit site
I've got the ID/TB that doesn't conform to the norm. She's now 13, I've owned her since she was 9 months old. 16.2 HH of idiot mare! Fine to handle but impossible to ride. Serious and dangerous nappy, two well though of professionals spent a lot of time working with her sympathetically but both came to the conclusion she has a screw loose and should not be ridden. I now have a big grey field ornament. No matter what breed you have there will always be the odd one that chucks a spanner in the works :)

nix123

Visit site
Hi Bluesocks
If its any help i have a Belgium Warmblood, he'd only been in UK a week when we bought him as a 5yr old. He's 13 now a big 16.2/16.3hh and i wouldnt part with him for anything, we have done everything with him pc,rc,sj,xc,dr,hunting,point to point, games (yes games) you name it. He is very level headed in all types of situations even when helicopter landed at a show due to a rider falling all the others were a bit one edge he just pricked his ear and carried on snoozing! Theres no quirks with him. I'm a firm believer horses are what you make them, if they are treated well with respect and boundries then your half way there to a good partnership. Ooh btw he came 1st individually at Windsor Show this year and represented the Army Team jumping. :)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I've known good and bad examples of all breeds. Look at ads for anything that fits your criteria, select the ones to visit and judge the horse infront of you when you view.

My grey was a weanling when I viewed her and her temperament is exactly the same now (she's now 5). I was also able to see both her sire and dam. They were both lovely and I would have happily taken them home too. ;) This did reassure me that my filly was right for me.

BlueSocks

Visit site
Well this is the thing isn't it - like you say there are good and bad in all breeds and types. It's just I seem to run into so many people who have a pop at Warmbloods and it just gets you thinking if you are making the right choice. Ive always stuck up for them because I have one but am I biased as I adore my boy to bits even if we have had our fair share of silliness over the years!

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
You're leaving out the most important element in your mix. The TB. I have 2 warmblood crosses both out of TB mares. I bred them. It's what I wanted. Flashy paces and jump are great. But without the brain and "die trying" attitude you get with the TB, I probably wouldn't be as impressed. I'm a TB person though and have spent most of my time with them. I want a TB close up and on the dam side. Obviously a good TB mare. My crosses are full of confidence, never say no, and not spooky or reactive. I'm starting my one girl back very slowly this year and I was hacking around the farm the other day. I'm enjoying myself and I went by the dog pen (not my dogs by the way). One of them leaped up on the side of the pen snarling and growling. Horrible wtetched thing that are well used to horses. It startled the poo out of me I can tell you. My mare went to leap forward and I put my hand on her neck and said whoa. She stopped and waited til I asked her to walk on quietly all the while stupid dog going mental. She had a viable excuse to behave badly and she chose not to take it. TB brain.

I'm not an ISH fan. I have been around some right thick uncooperative ISH's and sadly that's formed my opnion. I'm just not a fan. If I had to buy a horse and only had a choice between a gypsy vanner and an ISH, I'd take the GV.

Terri

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The problem is that Warmblood isn't really a breed. It is (or can be)a mixure of crosses, so they don't really have breed traits. You have really enjoyed yours, quirks and all. Would you be able to cope in your advancing years, with a similarly quirky horse or would you prefer a quieter life? Something to consider when looking for your next horse.
Equally ISH can differ in their temperament, dependent on whether they take the TB or ID temperament - and not all IDs are placid.
My advice would be to look at ads, or contact breeders and then go to view whatever takes your fancy, without limiting yourself as to breed - you never know what you might end up with!

Adopter

Visit site
We are a family who have had several ID, they have all had super temperments worked to high level in dressage, evented and show jumped and done some showing as well. Ours have been real pets but forward going lovely horses.
However any purchase is the one you feel connected to, and shows promise as a youngster. If you are buying a youngster it is well worth checking out the performance and temperament of the parents.

Tinsel Town

Visit site
I would definitely say look at the individual horse, see a few warmbloods and a few ISH, typically warmbloods are hotter and ISH a bit more level headed, but again this is down to the horse. My old horse was a warmblood and was spooky, a bit unpredictable, strong, but was lazy too! but was very sweet and well mannered.
My new horse is an ISH and is just amazing, calm, kind, good temperament, can be lazy but moves big and beautiful so def don't feel like I'm riding a pony! (he's 16.2, my WB was 17.2)

WB-
316527_10150336352883372_786459162_n.jpg

ISH-
600981_10151401839808372_2041981505_n.jpg

StormyGale

Visit site
Am with equil Ireland on this one my lad is tb x wb only young buy very good tb brain in a well built body if unsure the tb brain steps in to deal with and wb part stops any explosions he looks, understands and then reacts. Have had several wb x tbs and wouldn't go with anything else and i love my tbs too. Have had couple ish and not one was . GGenuine nice person quirky and neve. Knew quite what was coming found them slow to pick up things and sometimes just down right rude. Of course I don't expect all people to have this opinion people may have had exact opposite but I wouldn't go near a ish now given the choice unless it was literally perfect for me but I would take a lot of convincing. I have tried several so not just basing this on one and owned two and I wouldn't again. Wb all the way for me but like I say may be very different for others. Good luck

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
Like a lot have already said every horse is an individual regardless of the breeding.

Personally though I prefer a TB. I've ridden a pure WB at my instructor's yard (shes 75 so I help her exercise full liveries) and I'm sorry but in every aspect this mare is plain stupid:not all fizzed up but she epitomises 'dumb animal'. To many reasons to mention why she is best described as 'stupid' (eg. in covered school if you do not tell her to turn around the corner she will continue straight in to the wall and vet has confirmed nothing wrong with eyesight etc). Then again her owner is also completely away with the fairies.

On the other hand my pony is NFxTBxGerman sports (which I think is WB) love her even if she is a bit of a nutter :D

Basically don't shop for a specific breed just look at ANY horse that appears to suit your requirements.:)

johardy09

Visit site
I have 2 ISH (both 3/4 TB and 1/4 ID) and if I was to buy another horse I wouldn't go for anything else. They both have huge personalities and are incredibly clever and quick learners.
What I would say though, is they do feel more pony-like than warmbloods of the same size, however mine are both 15.2, so if you were looking at more like 16.2 it would probably be different.

amage

Visit site
There are plenty of ISH that are warmbloods or warmblood crosses. My 5 yr old ISH is by Ustinov ex a Taloubet mare. I am waiting on my mare to foal...her ISH will be by OBOS Quality (Oldenburg) ex Belgian Warmblood mare. Any foal from approved parents is eligible to be registered ISH hence they come in all shapes & sizes! he first foal I bred is ISH by a TB ex Belgian Warmblood mare....I guarantee if you saw his movement you would think he is continental breeding!

oldie48

Visit site
There are plenty of ISH that are warmbloods or warmblood crosses.

Yup exactly what I was going to say, daughter's event horse was ISH, He was out of a TB/ID mare by a WB advanced eventer. Great movement, huge jump and bold XC with a lovely temperament, just a bit too heavy to make the time XC. My horse is AES and is WB/Peruvian Paso out of a TB mare! Not sure which part of him to blame for him being so opinionated.

kirstykate

Visit site
There are plenty of ISH that are warmbloods or warmblood crosses. My 5 yr old ISH is by Ustinov ex a Taloubet mare. I am waiting on my mare to foal...her ISH will be by OBOS Quality (Oldenburg) ex Belgian Warmblood mare. Any foal from approved parents is eligible to be registered ISH hence they come in all shapes & sizes! he first foal I bred is ISH by a TB ex Belgian Warmblood mare....I guarantee if you saw his movement you would think he is continental breeding!
:D:D

Exactly, why dont you just get an ISH Warmblood, best of both worlds:)

nix123

Visit site
As i used to say to my kids when we were horse hunting, its not about buying the perfect horse, its about buying the horse thats perfect to you. Big difference. You'll know when its the right one, just try lots of different breeds. Happy horse hunting :)