Warming up beautifully then getting tense in the dressage arena - any suggestions?

walker1234

Visit site
This seems to be a recurring theme. We warm up beautifully in the collecting ring so much so that I'm beaming and feeling as though the lessons and effort has paid off again and that it's really working. Then they call our number.

And as soon as we leave the collecting ring he starts to get stiff and tense and of course there is no time left to get him relaxed before the bell rings and our test is of course stiff and tense. It feels really demoralising when it happens. I'm sure some of it is down to him nosing at whats going on behind the hedge but the fact that it starts the second we leave the collecting ring and it could be quite a walk down to our arena suggests its napping as well though he isnt a nappy horse.

What strategies do you have to combat this? Is there anything I can do to help him through this transition so that we do a test in the same manner to which we warmed up?

Last edited:

Sunflowers

Visit site
Classic problem - you are not alone, I think every competitor in the world is familiar with this one!!

Consider this - in your warm up, are you able to apply the pressure in the same way as you have to in a test?

At home or when working in, we can choose when and where to place transitions, we are more relaxed ourselves, and if things start going wrong - well, we just work on correcting them!

Whereas in the test, if you are a tiny bit nervous/tense/worried at the stat, chances are it will just get worse as the movements keep coming, with no breathing space or room to try again!

My tip? conversely, don't overly think about RELAXING you and your horse all the time - its exhausting and often counter productive. Instead, try revising your warm up. Ensure you have a solid connection (tons of exacting transitions, insist on suppleness and submission, be a bit tough if you have to be) and put more pressure on than the test requires- for example, if it's a novice test, work in as if for an elementary or even medium. Then in the test... ahh, breathe! Its easy!

Food for thought? Sometimes problems need turning on their heads! i hope this helps. Let me know how you get on...!

imr

Visit site
I have the same problem. The only thing I have foud helpful is clinics and schooling in a test arena with white boards.

squiz22

Visit site
My youngster was fabulous at home and in the warm up and then it all fell apart.. I tried a magic calmer syringe on him at the weekend and it worked a treat!

If you think the tenseness is coming from you are you able to go and hire a dressage arena and do the tests? I've been hiring one at a local show which they set out for that purpose and its been really good.

oldvic

Visit site
There are several things that can help - and a bit of trial and error!

A lot of horses with this tendency are best if you don't stop working just before your test so you don't lose the connection and concentration. Make sure you make your final adjustments (boots off, etc or don't wear any) in good time so you have the connection back before they call you. Then don't stop, keep trotting and working him to the arena and round it so he stays forward and infront of your aids.

With the working in do plenty of work getting him supple and listening - a little deep so he is looking for the contact. Then ask a bit more - transitions, and maybe one or two movements from the test but don't get fixed on the things he finds difficult - you are not going to fix that at that stage. Just get him on your aids and listening. If he needs a break make it in time to get him back. Possibly just letting him stretch in trot rather than letting him off completely.

Some horses find it hard to go and work away from their friends or when you move situation. This you can train for by working in a field with other horses and moving to different parts of the field. Also you can put an arena up with intermittent boards so you can work in, through, around and wherever you like so the arena is no big deal. By not confining him to it then it is no big deal but you can go in and ride a movement or two then come out, around boards and so on.

Get in the habit of putting some movements together in your work as this tests your control and connection.

Just some suggestions but a lot of tense horses are better if you quietly keep riding them rather than back off and sit too quiet. They then have something to concentrate on and gain confidence from you holding their hand. It's not a question of getting after them but just being positive.

Cyberchick

Visit site
A huge problem that I have. It really lets us down. My issue is that my horse hates being moved to a different arena. We warm up lovely in one arena then you have to stop and change to a new one. He really doesn't like it one little bit. This applies to dressage or jumping. My new practice now, and this won't suit every horse, is I don't warm up. I come off the lorry, hand walk him to the competition arena, jump on and go in and so far we have done our best tests this way. With jumping we warm up on the flat but I don't jump a fence until I am in the arena and under way.

rachelandholly

Visit site
Glad I'm not the only one this happens to... I often wish the judge could mark my warm up instead of the actual test!!

Is it anything in particular that your horse finds difficult? I only ask that because Holly struggles with her canter... She does fab in WT tests. So I don't canter in my warm up... obviously won't work for all horses, but I find if she goes in not worrying about the fact that she's got to canter, she stays a little more relaxed.

Really frustrating too as she can do everything quite easily... but as soon as she's confined within the boards I think she just feels restricted. I agree with the working in and out of the boards at home too... I always make sure I keep going through them even if it's just going in one end and out the other...

walker1234

Visit site
ah thanks for all the replies, I knew I was not alone and thought other people must have ways of dealing with this!

Interesting comment about not warming up at all as the best dressage test I ever did I was running so late I had 5 minutes to warm up. Went in and was beautiful. Food for thought.

And the boards thing, definitely. Come to think of it he can be as bad at home schooling in the field with just dressage markers so maybe it is the freedom of the collecting ring that he finds relaxing.

oldvic he is definitely on the aids and listening in warm up - so much so that I think I have it sussed! There isnt really anything he finds difficult (in warm up at least) he's done BD Elem so a BE92 should be within his grasp. I warm him up with some elem moves and all is fine. There are things that once in a test he will often struggle which we work on in lessons and then in the collecting ring its like the pennies dropped and I think hurrah!

sunflowers/squizz the tenseness does transfer to me from him definitely I'm sure I don't help him I just freeze and thik "aaargh! oh no the bells wrong my horse is like a plank aarrgghh" so it is a vicious cycle too!

oldvic

Visit site
Did he do the Elementary on grass? Do you have studs in all round?

What do you do going from the warm up to the arena?

Bubblegum

Visit site
It's a classic problem, and as an owner of highly strung TB's..one we battle with constantly.
Main two things that help us :
1. Make sure rider is not the one at fault. Be brutally honest with yourself and consider if it is you that tenses up...and thus horse picks this up. Sensitive horses will react big time to this. Deal with it.
2. Get your horse used to working in different parts of your home ground. Work in your menage, then work in your paddock, then work in a diff part of your paddock. Make sure your horse is used to keeping the focus no matter where he has to work, and do this every session at home.
These two things have helped us so much just recently.
Hope it does the same for you. :)

walker1234

Visit site
Did he do the Elementary on grass? Do you have studs in all round?

What do you do going from the warm up to the arena?

No have never really done more than a prelim equiv on grass we both found it totally different and struggled for ages. We also don't have an even piece of grass at home but I've been schooling over uneven grass this year and tbh it has made a total difference. he used to be very unbalanced on grass but copes OK with it now. I dont use studs per se unless its slippy as balance doesnt seem to be an issue. (unless psychological??)

I do ver little between collecting ring and arena - no boots to remove etc just go straight in.

It's a classic problem, and as an owner of highly strung TB's..one we battle with constantly.
Main two things that help us :
1. Make sure rider is not the one at fault. Be brutally honest with yourself and consider if it is you that tenses up...and thus horse picks this up. Sensitive horses will react big time to this. Deal with it.
2. Get your horse used to working in different parts of your home ground. Work in your menage, then work in your paddock, then work in a diff part of your paddock. Make sure your horse is used to keeping the focus no matter where he has to work, and do this every session at home.
These two things have helped us so much just recently.
Hope it does the same for you. :)

Definitely do tense up in response, definitely. Will work on that. The word panic springs to mind!

oldvic

Visit site
A horse can feel very insecure on grass without studs especially if it is firm. When you walk over slippery ground you tighten up and shorten your steps. A horse does the same. It is nothing to do with whether you actually slip - you make sure you don't.
Maybe you should do more going to the arena - walk, trot transitions, bending lines, maybe a little shoulder in. If you trot in a straight line from the warm up to an arena 50m or more away there is plenty of time for the horse to think what he is doing - leaving friends, going somewhere new, mum has stopped riding me - help!!! By keeping him busy you will have less time to think about freezing and getting tight.

walker1234

Visit site
A horse can feel very insecure on grass without studs especially if it is firm. When you walk over slippery ground you tighten up and shorten your steps. A horse does the same. It is nothing to do with whether you actually slip - you make sure you don't.
Maybe you should do more going to the arena - walk, trot transitions, bending lines, maybe a little shoulder in. If you trot in a straight line from the warm up to an arena 50m or more away there is plenty of time for the horse to think what he is doing - leaving friends, going somewhere new, mum has stopped riding me - help!!! By keeping him busy you will have less time to think about freezing and getting tight.[/Q

Yes good idea I see your point and like the idea of doing 'something' on the way in. Do you always stud up? And wouldn't it show in the warm up if he was feeling insecure or the fact that there is more space compensates for it?

Forgive if asking numpty questions just trying to analyse!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I watch so many people do nothing as they trot round waiting for the judge to beep. This is an ideal time to flex them left and right, shoulder in, transitions if they are being rude all to get them listening and stay loose. On my other horse who dropped off the leg I would canter round to keep him sharp, bit of medium trot all on the outside. I also will not go in to the arena until I am ready. It only takes another 30 seconds to trot round once more after the beep goes and you have to go down the centre line.

walker1234

Visit site
I watch so many people do nothing as they trot round waiting for the judge to beep. This is an ideal time to flex them left and right, shoulder in, transitions if they are being rude all to get them listening and stay loose. On my other horse who dropped off the leg I would canter round to keep him sharp, bit of medium trot all on the outside. I also will not go in to the arena until I am ready. It only takes another 30 seconds to trot round once more after the beep goes and you have to go down the centre line.

I must admit I did feel really rushed going in, the judge beeped as I passed her car on the first trot round so I really didn't have much time to settle him either. Do you reckon you have time to trot round again even after the bell's gone? I always feel it'd be rude not to go straight in.

Lolo

Visit site
Al struggled with this on Reg- the warm up would be fine, but the test would fall to bits. It took most of last year to get near 55%! Trick with him is to turn up and get tack checked and checked in and then begin the warm up routine. When the horse before you is about halfway through, trot over and begin circling near the judges car, asking for the little bit more depth in the outline than ideal. Once the rider has saluted, take your circle closer and closer to the judges car and then begin your trot round on your horse's best rein so he feels comfortable. Also, studs if he's unsure on grass and lots of practise out on grass. Don't stop before your test because it takes a while to reconnect!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I always smile and nod at the judge to acknowledge that I have heard the beep and carry on until I am ready within reason as you have 45 seconds. Sometimes it might be a circle sometimes I can get round the whole arena.

oldvic

Visit site
No question that needs asking is numpty!

Yes I always stud for dressage on grass. When a horse is confined to a specific area they are more likely to tighten up. Once a few horses have been on the same track, they polish the grass and it becomes more slippery. Some pros will for instance stud their horses at home if jumping on grass - not on the flat as they are not confined to specific turns and if it is slippery they will work in their arena.

oldvic

Visit site
I must admit I did feel really rushed going in, the judge beeped as I passed her car on the first trot round so I really didn't have much time to settle him either. Do you reckon you have time to trot round again even after the bell's gone? I always feel it'd be rude not to go straight in.

If the judge beeps when you are by their car then you haven't really got time to go right round again but you can give yourself room to ride a circle. If the judge beeps quickly it could be that they are pushed to keep to time. You have and are entitled to 45 secs but really it is up to you to get to the arena quickly (watch for previous one getting near the end) to give yourself time to go round. Your time is the time you should enter the arena not the time you leave the collecting ring.

kerilli

Visit site
lots of excellent advice already, the only thing i'd add is to do your best to ride in warm-up (and at home) as if you are doing a test. so many riders change their style because 'now it matters, the judge is watching' - and try to sit taller, present the horse more, etc etc. i saw a Pippa Funnell Lecture/Demo once where she talked about this and then went and worked her horse in the background while her Sports Psychologist gave a chat... and she rode exactly the same warming up as she did when she started and worked through a test, no change at all in her or the horse. Afterwards she asked us if we'd been able to see when she started riding the test. It was a real eye-opener for me, anyway.

rebmw

Visit site
Same problem for me too.

One thing I have found really helps is to ride through the whole test at least once whilst warming up, even better if you can do it in a practice arena.
Really ride the movements super positively and make sure every transition is how you want it in the actual test. This probably shows how much I influence the change in my horse and how by having a proper ride through, it makes me mentally more prepared and therefore slightly relaxed rather than going through the test thinking whats coming up next, whats coming up next and being tense without realising.

Also ride the movements at their correct size. It's easy to have a lovely big field to warm up in and do fantastic flowing 30m circles, but then to go in the arena and suddenly you're much more confined and everything happens a lot quicker.

These points have really helped me and we have won two pre novices on our dressage score since! A huge improvement from our usual middle of the scoreboard dressage marks.

walker1234

Visit site
Wow you guys, thanks theres so much brilliant information here!

Usually caused by rider with butterflies - tranquilise butterflies with a shot or two of vodka or gin!

relaxes you!
Me or the horse? Heehe!

Same problem for me too.

One thing I have found really helps is to ride through the whole test at least once whilst warming up, even better if you can do it in a practice arena.
Really ride the movements super positively and make sure every transition is how you want it in the actual test. This probably shows how much I influence the change in my horse and how by having a proper ride through, it makes me mentally more prepared and therefore slightly relaxed rather than going through the test thinking whats coming up next, whats coming up next and being tense without realising.

Also ride the movements at their correct size. It's easy to have a lovely big field to warm up in and do fantastic flowing 30m circles, but then to go in the arena and suddenly you're much more confined and everything happens a lot quicker.

These points have really helped me and we have won two pre novices on our dressage score since! A huge improvement from our usual middle of the scoreboard dressage marks.
Probably not doing the movements in the correct size thats for sure. I do sometimes go through the test but not always. tbh I could do the test itself in my sleep so I don't think I am worrying about where I'm going.

lots of excellent advice already, the only thing i'd add is to do your best to ride in warm-up (and at home) as if you are doing a test. so many riders change their style because 'now it matters, the judge is watching' - and try to sit taller, present the horse more, etc etc. i saw a Pippa Funnell Lecture/Demo once where she talked about this and then went and worked her horse in the background while her Sports Psychologist gave a chat... and she rode exactly the same warming up as she did when she started and worked through a test, no change at all in her or the horse. Afterwards she asked us if we'd been able to see when she started riding the test. It was a real eye-opener for me, anyway.

Agree, I definitely do change style to some degree. I do find myself thinking "right here we go, tits and teeth".

Lots of things to consider so thank you so much. I'll report back after Stafford next week. I'm going to invest in some white boards at home too.

Luci07

Visit site
I had the opposite problem. My horse very quickly worked out that I would drop the whip going into the test and took full advantage.

A swift swap over to spurs took care of that! but all good points. I have always ALWAYS had a problem with white boards, even with horses who know exactly what they are there for but seem to want to view them as something the devil left behind when I ask them to trot past. The only way I got round that was to be hovering nastily so as soon as the previous horse was on its way out, we were on our way in. Quick full on trot pressed close to the nasty white boards on the opposite rein to the one I needed to start on and then a quick change to be on the right rein. That and a lot of quick transistions to make sure that equine attention had shifted back to me 100% and not on the distant horizons!

walker1234

Visit site
Just a quick update I have taken some of your suggestions and implemented them already, bought some White boards and made a better dressage arena in the field (ok they are drainpipes secured with tent pegs but they seem to do the trick) and today studded up for our warm up. Both seem to have made a huge difference so thanks again.

I did notice that even schooling in the arena there was a change in attitude when we left and entered at A to start the test, both me and him so we've worked on that too.

Ludi-doodi

photobucket.com
QR - haven't read all the replies, but do you stop at all, even for a few minutes, between the warm up and the test arena - waiting outside for the last competitor to finish? Try not doing this and trotting straight from your warm up into the arena and around the boards. You may need a helper or two to give you the nod and tell you what's happening. This way he doesn't have a chance to switch off even for a minute. He might not realise that the warm up has finished and the test has started. And as others have no doubt said relax yourself, stop thinking "he'll go tense, he'll go tense, he'll go tense ....." as the old saying goes, if you think it will it will (or something along those lines!)

Last edited:

walker1234

Visit site
So with all your advice riging in my ears I did my normal warm up for dressage today, horse was again beautiful and going nicely.

Kept him trotting until I was called and went straight in, he did immediately get tense but the leg yeilding, transitions and rein back on the way to to judges car really helped focus him. Judges lunches were just arriving so I was able to get 2 or 3 circuits before the bell and went in and performed consistently so really pleased.

Came out really happy, felt like probably the best test I'd done this year and I conservatively reckoned it would be about 34 (I can normally guess within 2 points).

Shame the judge didn't agree she gave us 38.5 cow bag!

But anyway thanks again all of you.