Warning - 3 yards cleared out completely - Leeds

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I went there looking for my stolen tack, against the advice of the local council who told me it wasn't a safe place to go on my own given that it was no longer an authorised market and run by the gypsies. I went anyway and it was clear that the tack that was there was dodgy (would you really put decent tack in still attached to hairy, filthy girths and numnahs?) and the standard of animal husbandry was appalling. There is supposed to be a vet in attendance at authorised markets. There were animals crammed 5 to a pen , a stallion fighting with a gelding in another pen, a shetland foal that had clearly been weaned in the last few hours, very sick with snot pouring from its nose, very depressed and very very young, ducks crammed into tiny cages, ponies with bracken and gorse in their manes and tails and ponies being hammered round the carpark bareback. A lovely day out not.

Holmfirth is still an accredited auction mart, I have checked their website today. If you have concerns about welfare standards please inform the animal health department of Kirklees Metropolitan Council. If you have concerns on the day, go to the market managers office and tell them then and there.

Dolcé

Visit site
Funnily enough, when our car was stolen and recovered minus the bag full of headcollars etc that had been in the back, we went to Holmfirth and bought them back! We couldn't do anything about it because there was no way to prove they were ours, obviously you know your own stuff, the little marks on it etc, but how do you prove that to the police. It was gutting to have to buy our own stuff back! I can't see WOW saddles appearing there though, I wonder how many would be willing to buy if they did, if there wasn't a market then it wouldn't be stolen I guess! I suspect the feed/bins/hay is for personal use! We were lucky not to be on any of the yards involved but just wanted to get the warning out there, I have posted more info on some very distinctive items taken on the stolen post, would be good if you could have a look just in case you come across it.