WARNING,,,..... dealer and his friend equine transporter in ireland

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
The one that was so starved it ate a haynet whilst on the truck for hours with nothing, colicked after arrival and after an op was still dead in 24hrs?
If so, that's shocking!
That one is all over the internet today.

yes, it really upset me, he looked like a nice horse, so sad for him and his owner....

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I read it earlier today, I felt quite sick imagining what the poor horse went through and the new owner must be totally heartbroken. Unimaginable that any transporter would let this happen, registered, insured or not. but I know they do.

I do remember bringing my horse over from Newmarket in the Uk to midlands Ireland, he was supposed to arrive in a maximum of 16/24 hours. approx. 50 hours later he arrived, the last one on the huge fancy lorry, travel bandages in shreds on the floor, his travel rug torn and hanging around his feet, dripping sweat from head to toe. Totally dehydrated. He screamed out the high window when he heard my voice and practically jumped off the lorry into my arms.?

The b*st**rd transporter had dragged him all around the Uk from south to up North on the Scottish border picking up TB mares to come over to a stud in Kildare. I had been told he would be travelling straight over to Ireland with TB mares from Newmarket, direct route. I refused to pay him and told him to expect any vet bills that I had due to his inhumane and unprofessional treatment of my horse whilst in his care. This was a VERY well known Newmarket transporter who regularly transported very expensive TB's to and fro across the Irish sea. I guess my big old Suffolk Punch X just didn't matter to him. Luckily he did recover from the ordeal, he and I were luckier than that poor lady.

PurBee

Visit site
Terrible what you went through mrs jingle. So glad you were firm with the transporters and your horse recovered.

The owner of the pony that died said the law is 8 hours on a lorry max, then i presume they have to be off, given a walk around or bedding/water etc. Im not aware of the laws but 10’s of hours ...a human couldnt do it, let alone a horse, restricted movement, cant turn around Etc

Perhaps it should be made law that the transporter vans have to live link video-record their journey, so while in transport all owners can view their animals and also check on them for rests etc. Seems a bit extreme to have such a law, but if those good transporters are doing a good job they wont mind, but it’ll definitely ensure those that just drive for days without rests/checks cant continue with that level of dis-service.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
This was over 20 years ago PurBee, I am guessing and hoping this could not happen again, due to rules and regs about how long you can travel them for without a stop and watering, letting them off to stretch their legs etc. but this guy from today's news obviously didn't abide by any rules did he.

Yes I agree live on board video link would be a great move forward to safeguard the horses.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Should have his license (for driving as a whole) revoked for quite some time.

There's no excuse. He shouldn't be allowed to transport anything, ever again. He also owes the horse's owner some cash too.

IMO, consequences for animal abuse and neglect are far too lenient. So it keeps happening. The idea about cameras in the lorry is a good one too. I'm sure some companies could even make an app or site to track your horse and view it on the transporter. I'm sure some people would use such a transporter solely because of that (the view and track feature).

When mine came from Spain to Germany it took quite awhile, 5 days IIRC, and he had a lot of resting, mostly in France. Which I suppose was fine. Arrived as fit as a timid little Spanish horse could be.

teapot

Visit site
When mine came from Spain to Germany it took quite awhile, 5 days IIRC, and he had a lot of resting, mostly in France. Which I suppose was fine. Arrived as fit as a timid little Spanish horse could be.

It's currently taking almost two weeks from Spain to the UK; over a week from France, with breaks on the way etc.

Mollyb123

Visit site
have just seen a very distressing post on facebook on the horse and hound members forum. i will not mention names on here but may be worth looking if anyone is thinking of buying...

Hey thanks for posting about this. This is about my horse Colin. I posted on Facebook about 24 hours ago and it has gained a great response from so many people which I appreciate. If you’d like to spread awareness then please go to “Molly Bailey” on Facebook and share my post about my poor Colin

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
It's currently taking almost two weeks from Spain to the UK; over a week from France, with breaks on the way etc.

I just looked back, and it was about 7 days. The schedule was quite ok for the horse. There wasn't a direct route from middle of nowhere Spain to my part of Germany so he had to wait at a yard to catch a ride a time or two. I would think it could be a bit slower to the UK now due to Brexit? Perhaps more paperwork and whatnot than before.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Hey thanks for posting about this. This is about my horse Colin. I posted on Facebook about 24 hours ago and it has gained a great response from so many people which I appreciate. If you’d like to spread awareness then please go to “Molly Bailey” on Facebook and share my post about my poor Colin
For those not on FB, here is direct link to Molly's post Full story

Rowreach

👀
Visit site

Molly I am so sorry, and I know it is absolutely no help to you, but please let people know via your Facebook post that if they come on here and ask for recommendations, they will also get the who not to use information.

I'm also sorry to say you will never get your money back.

I've been absolutely disgusted by some of the practices these and other transporters get up to.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
The journey time wouldn't be an issue if they received the care, food, water, rest and stopovers that they need to have.

Common practice here is to pull them all into a yard, deprive them of food and water for hours (so they don't poo and pee in the lorry), pack them all in, head for the boat, and then to a round the world for fun trip around GB.

There are plenty of reputable, respectable transporters who do not behave like this.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
the owner has now put the whole story on here. i would imagine it will be pulled, i made sure i didnt break the rules but understand why she has and if i was the owner i would broadcast it everywhere...hope she gets justice for the poor boy,

oops just seen molly is on this thread, so sorry molly i have contacted my friends to make sure they dont use these people..

Mollyb123

Visit site
the owner has now put the whole story on here. i would imagine it will be pulled, i made sure i didnt break the rules but understand why she has and if i was the owner i would broadcast it everywhere...hope she gets justice for the poor boy,

oops just seen molly is on this thread, so sorry molly i have contacted my friends to make sure they dont use these people..
Oh I created this account so fast to reply to this thread, I didn’t know it was against the rules. Should I remove it?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
we are not supposed to name and shame anyone on here, but i think you are justified. nlot sure if you can remove yourself but if the edit button is on there you could delete their names otherwise maybe worth contacting admin if you are worried..

maya2008

Visit site
Our little feral one came over from Ireland in a big lorry with many others. The lady who bought her first, took too many to keep because she felt so sorry for them and wanted to save as many as she could. She has pictures of them on arrival - like something from a welfare rescue fb post.

Our little one arrived scared and fawning, then eventually felt safe enough to be angry. Very angry - at everything and everyone for a while. Our vet said the journey over is terrible - in that tone of voice that suggested she must have seen a fair few outcomes that were not so great.

So sorry for the horse who died. Sadly I do not think these practices are confined to just one company or driver.

spacefaer

Visit site
@Rowreach
We used that chap once. The journey time was as expected but he had 11 horses in a 7 horse lorry with only 4 partitions.
We had 2 horses to be delivered. He hadn't loaded them with any sense so our first horse was third to come off and our second horse was 7th.
We had to hold the random other horses while ours appeared.
There were haynets on the floor round their feet and 2ft high mounds of droppings along the back wall.

When he went to load the other horses, he asked me for a broom. I thought it was to sweep out the lorry but no, it was to load the reluctant ones.
None of them had leadropes either

I saw his business for sale a few years ago now so o thought he'd stopped.
I'm so sorry @Mollyb123 that he hadn't

Visit site
that's awful - I have just shared it to my group (Leicestershire and Rutland Equestrians) on facebook. I notice quite a few off my facebook friends are mutual friends with both of them so hopefully this will make them more aware.

holeymoley

Visit site
Absolutely sickening ? unreal that things as mentioned above still happen in this day and age with all the welfare and restrictions we have in this country.