WARNING,,,..... dealer and his friend equine transporter in ireland

m1stify

Visit site
This is a UK transporter (NI) is there any laws that have been broken? Not dealing with another jurisdiction or anything which may help.

sunnyone

Visit site
I appreciate that not all the ferry routes have been running across the channel, but 1 week from France and 2 weeks from Spain?

7 years ago we transported our 3 horses in our own lorry..
Day 1: Portsmouth to near Rennes in heavy snow.
Day 2: Rennes to Belin-Beliet (well south of Bordeaux)
Day 3: Belin-Beliet to Zaragoza Spain
Day 4: Zaragoza to southern Murcia.
Naturally we didn't rush because of the weather and because we weren't familiar with our destinations which Peden Bloodstock had found for us. We aimed to start around 09.30 and finish about 16.30 with breaks as and when we could.
Only on day 4 on the approach to Valencia were we totally out of snow.
We could have been turned back at Portsmouth if the sea state had not been calm but once on the boat there is no further reason for delay. New paperwork may cause some delays but not a complete week!

MissTyc

Visit site
So sad, really sorry you and your poor horse went through this.
Last time I brought a horse over from France it was a 10 hour trip in the end and even with excellent care (water, hay) my horse colicked on arrival. If he hadn't had the care, I don't think he would have made it :(

stormox

Visit site
Poor horse -terrible of him to stop overnight and not let the horse off for food and water. :( . Im not sure how the sellers at fault though as the horse seemingly left his yard in good condition.

Mollyb123

Visit site
It’s all just awful. The reason I have an issue with the seller is because he promised me my money back and offered me false promises with Richard including helping with the vet bill and a replacement horse and nothing ever materialised. He sent the horse to me without a passport too which is illegal on the seller and the transporter. And the seller booked the transporter so he was also speaking with Richard regarding a resolution. But just over a week ago he blocked me on everything so I have no contact

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
It’s all just awful. The reason I have an issue with the seller is because he promised me my money back and offered me false promises with Richard including helping with the vet bill and a replacement horse and nothing ever materialised. He sent the horse to me without a passport too which is illegal on the seller and the transporter. And the seller booked the transporter so he was also speaking with Richard regarding a resolution. But just over a week ago he blocked me on everything so I have no contact

Which also smacks of trying to cover it up between them.

teapot

Visit site
I appreciate that not all the ferry routes have been running across the channel, but 1 week from France and 2 weeks from Spain?

7 years ago we transported our 3 horses in our own lorry..
Day 1: Portsmouth to near Rennes in heavy snow.
Day 2: Rennes to Belin-Beliet (well south of Bordeaux)
Day 3: Belin-Beliet to Zaragoza Spain
Day 4: Zaragoza to southern Murcia.
Naturally we didn't rush because of the weather and because we weren't familiar with our destinations which Peden Bloodstock had found for us. We aimed to start around 09.30 and finish about 16.30 with breaks as and when we could.
Only on day 4 on the approach to Valencia were we totally out of snow.
We could have been turned back at Portsmouth if the sea state had not been calm but once on the boat there is no further reason for delay. New paperwork may cause some delays but not a complete week!

Transported in your own lorry is VERY different to horses being on a 12 horse box as part of wider transport across the continent.

It can and does happen, especially at the moment given volume of horses being sold and especially with 48hr stops/layovers in stables on the way. Plus driver hours/regs. You have to factor in these transporters go all over. I can remember waiting for horses arriving from Ireland that took three/four days long before Brexit. Another two who were sent back to Ireland went via France!

Have you ever helped a transporter unload a box of ten because the two you want are at the back? I have, it takes a lot of time, swapping of paperwork, headcollars, helping reload the ones who still have further to go. The good ones I dealt with even asked if we could top up water supplies and empty box of poo so horses weren't standing in mushed poo/had fresh shavings for onwards journey.

I'm not saying two weeks is right AT ALL, but I am 99.9% sure those horses did not in any way travel from A to B like your three did.

Last edited: