*warning* graphic pic of what a bite can mean ...

Sheep

Visit site
My boy is also a real grump in the stable. I'm glad you mentioned this about yours! it's such a reality check for me to not be complacent if you see what I mean - not meaning you are to blame at all for what happened to you- but I generally shrug off my boy's behaviour and work around it because he is fine for me and those who regularly handle him... Yet this is such a good warning that they don't always warn before they strike.

Beausmate

Visit site
My OH had his ear peeled by my miserable old horse. Was a nasty bite, couldn't be stitched and there was some concern over the damage caused to the cartilage, as it was exposed. All healed up in the end, though it is a bit frilly now!

The hospital staff couldn't get their heads around a horse biting like that. Hope you heal up soon, Mrs B!

ozpoz

Visit site
Bloody hell that looks sore.
Hope you heal up quickly, you must have got a shock so take care of yourself.

Handsome Jack

Visit site
Good lord! Hope it heals quickly!

My SIL was bitten on the cheek whilst doing up the girth of a miserable Cob - he bit and held on, leaving her with a huge hole in her cheek she was very lucky that there was a plastic surgeon available and now the scar is very tiny...but its always stuck with me, especially as have a biter!

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Ooooooooh, that looks like that's going to be sore. We had a pony on loan for my son and her owner was adamant that we didn't feed her tits bits, well I don't anyway so that wasn't a problem.

Fast forward to owner's daughter and partner coming to say goodbye a few days before she was PTS. They had a carrot to give to her as they put her back in the field. Pony bit finger.

Hope it heals quickly.

MargotC

Visit site
Oh ow! That's a nasty one. Do hope it heals quickly for you!

Worst I ever got from a bite was bad bruising on my upper arm. Count myself lucky! Was my mare who was responsible for that - her previous owners had given her treats and as such she would mug you. I never gave her treats but never managed to rid her completely of the habit either. She would forget herself on occasion although I never witnessed a malicious bite.

A horse at my old RS did take someone's fingertip off that they stuck through the bars. Like someone else mentioned above it is probably too easy to get complacent around them at times as bites might not be the first thing on one's mind to look out for from a horse. Especially if you haven't been on the receiving end of one that really got you. Valuable reminder there.

Sending healing vibes!

meesha

Visit site
Ouch, hope it heals quickly. I have been bitten 3 times in 9 years by Dex, once on boob which ripped skin off, once on side of knee resulting in enormous lump that amazed a&e and took a year to reduce down and lastly on thigh which bled and again resulted in large lump and subsequently I got shingles ( Dr thinks shingles snuck through as body fighting bite)

All 3 incidents were years apart and horse gave no warning ( although last one was my fault as i was bent beside him adjusting rug , he stood on my foot and I shoved him off which he hates and I honestly don't think he even realised i was there messing with his strap)

Jo1987

Visit site
Oh dear that's a nasty one! It is so easy to forget that the teeth can be just as dangerous as the feet!
I was bitten by a pointer I was holding while his rug was done up, he got a good mouthful of my forearm and lifted me off the floor - the strange sensation I felt was apparently the muscle becoming detached. The swelling went down to leave a dent and scar, and the area 'tickles' when I make a fist.

paddy555

Visit site
Really just posted this for a reality-check, not sympathy (honestly, it's not hurting at the moment!) but thank you for all your responses and I hope it makes even one person remember how reactive and powerful these animals are.
sorry to see your injury. Do you mind if I add something else? If you get bitten like this then get down straight to A & E. I got very badly bitten on my leg, the horse basically got his teeth around the front of my lower leg and walked off with it. I did nothing. Three days later when I couldn't move the doctor sent me straight to A & E, I was admitted, put on antibiotic drip and 2 weeks later I came out of hospital after surgery to debride the wound and plastic surgery that didn't work. I probably couldn't have avoided the surgery but I could have reduced the time in hospital considerably if I had gone straight down and got anti biotics. A 4 hour wait in A & E would have been nothing compared to the rest of my time in hospital.
I learnt, the hard way, that horses teeth are extremely nasty bug carriers.

hope you make a quick recovery Mrs B.

windand rain

Visit site
Quote from my old dad
"Horses bite at one end, kick at the other end and are damned uncomfortable in the middle"
Hope you make a full recovery and maybe those with neighbour trouble may like to print it off and stick a big copy on their gate

dizzyneddy

Visit site
Gosh thats a bite & a half. Hope you recover soon - just make sure you've a bathroom cupboard is stocked up with painkillers. I think it doesn't matter how good a horse you have they can be unpredictable & have their moments. But the horse that got you is definitely guard horse material take care & take it easy

ilvpippa

Visit site
Mine forgot herself today. She can be a 'nipper' grumpy in winter & hates me fiddling with her rugs. She's only actually biten me twice including today in 5 years. I lifted my arm up To do neck rug & she opened her mouth & got me!
Never seen her run around her stable so quick! She got a quick smack with my glove! (No hand in it) was holding it at the time!
She gets a treat when we catch her as she can be head shy so think I will minimise the treating!!
Got a bruise & horsey was very sorry she refused to leave me side & got so many cuddles when I turned her out!

Clodagh

Visit site
sorry to see your injury. Do you mind if I add something else? If you get bitten like this then get down straight to A & E. I got very badly bitten on my leg, the horse basically got his teeth around the front of my lower leg and walked off with it. I did nothing. Three days later when I couldn't move the doctor sent me straight to A & E, I was admitted, put on antibiotic drip and 2 weeks later I came out of hospital after surgery to debride the wound and plastic surgery that didn't work. I probably couldn't have avoided the surgery but I could have reduced the time in hospital considerably if I had gone straight down and got anti biotics. A 4 hour wait in A & E would have been nothing compared to the rest of my time in hospital.
I learnt, the hard way, that horses teeth are extremely nasty bug carriers.

hope you make a quick recovery Mrs B.

OP did go to A&E.

View

Visit site
That's a big chunk missing ��
Hope it recovers quickly. And, isn't too sore while doing so.
I was once bitten on my shoulder, through several layers of clothes.nasty bruise, but The horse actually picked me up off the ground- I'm 5'9" tall and over 12 stone- it's easy to forget how powerful horses jaws are....

I still have the marks on my back where I was picked up and thrown by a bite in October last year. The one saving grace is that the holes he made were in an old bra, and not the brand new one I had worn the previous day. On this occasion, no blood - but a lot of tears and swearing!

OP, hope you recover well, and do follow the medical advice. Hope that it's not too painful, but please don't try to be a hero.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I've been very fortunate in my 45-odd years with horses to have never had more than a small 'nip'.

But today, despite all my years of understanding 'horse', I was bitten out of the blue and have spent the day in A&E and surgery ... I'm not posting this for sympathy (or in self-pity!), but just as a reminder of what they can do ... especially to be passed on to all those who have problems with their horses being fed tit-bits over a gate by passers-by: put this on your gate and you may find 'problem solved'!

attachment.php

OMG that is horrific. Yes we do get complacent as the the damage a horse can do with its legs and teeth.

wishing you a speedy recovery

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Oh gosh, that's a nasty wound! Hope it heals well for you and not too sore. Horses, eh? We're lucky we didn't decide to ride tigers...........

Mrs B

Visit site
Thank you all for being so kind and for all your good wishes: feel a bit embarrassed this morning to have let him get me, to be honest :/ - you know how you go over things in your head?

Anyway - it's a bit sore but not too bad; arm up in a sling for a couple of days to ease the swelling and it's oozing a bit from either end of the stitches but then again, it's meant to drain.

Your quite right, Cortez ... although I reckon he thinks he's a rare sabre-toothed pony ... I hope I tasted 'orrible!

Clannad48

Visit site
Ouch big time. Glad to hear you're not in too much pain. Definitely worth printing the photo and pinning to the gate to prevent any ad hoc feeding by 'kind' passerbys. Get well soon

MyBoyChe

Visit site
That looks horrendous, well done for not passing out!! A timely reminder for many of us I guess, they are indeed dangerous at both ends. Hope it heals well and quickly x

Princess16

Visit site
OMG ! Hope it heals quickly and not too painful for you.

Yes think we all forget how powerful horses are certainly got me thinking!

kassieg

Visit site
bloody hell that looks painful !!!

my old mare bit me through a thick winter coat, a fleece & a tshirt & managed to rip a lot of layers of skin off & severely bruise my ribs. It was swollen for a long time & I have a lovley scar to remind of her... it was Christmas day too :|

can just be totally freak accidents, hope you are ok & it heals well !! :)

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
My Ollie can be a bit mouthy. He will nibble at pockets etc, so have made a big point of not giving him treats, and asking others not to either. Thankfully, the worst he ever did was tear a long strip off my coat. If I do want to give him some treats, they are put in a bowl, on the floor in his stable.

I really hope that heals well MrsB.

Supertrooper

Visit site
Poor you :-( my pony is a bad biter, I know how quick they can get you! I never ever give him treats from my hand but to be honest it's not made much difference xx

Ebenezer_Scrooge

Visit site
Sending healing vibes Mrs.B. A friends horse once bit my ear over the stable door....probably swallowed my stud earrings with it! so it was detached from lobe to head & across bottom lobe so bit with ear piercings was flapping about & pouring with blood. My friend insisted on A&E due to the blood & flappy ear but i wouldnt go until I had sorted my horse out. Luckily the surgeon managed to stitch it back together....just have a scar there now so remember it every time I put different earrings in!