warning: I'm in need of a moan...

Moody-Mare

Visit site
To attempt to cut a long story short, The livery yard I am at is fairly new ( Owners havent been in it a year), and have done wonders already, fixing up the stables, fencing, 2 new arenas...

Anyway, my moan- When I moved to the yard I was the only livery there, bringing a good few sets of jumps and poles. Eventually there were a few more liveries came, and i didnt mind them using my jumps and pole etc, but YO and I agreed that equipment would be kept in the barn for safety and tidyness. Taht was the only rule, leave things as found, On a few occasions people were leaving the jumps out and not tidying up. After saying a few times about it they started tidying up.

But now its the school holidays and things have slipped again and my equipment isnt being looked after. I arrived at the yard to hack out last night after work to have poles and jumps to put away. Sick fed up now..

I'm ready for just saying that they havent to be used, Am i being petty? I'm so fed up.. If it was a one off i wouldnt mind, but its every other night:rolleyes:
said to YO and she said I'm quite right to not let others use them.

M&M's for anyone who read that LOL! Feel better now :D;)

dixie

Visit site
I think you are being very generous letting other people use your equipment.

Dont think you are being petty at all, its hard work shifting poles and wings. I would be inclined to say that they can only be used if you or the YO are there and if they are not tidied away then they cant use them again. What happens if they break something, presumably they will repay your loss?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Just tell the YO that you no longer wish to allow people to use your equipment.

Then the other liveries can chip in together and buy their own.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Don't think you're being petty at all - if people can't respect your equipment then why should you feel obliged to let them use it. You sound like a lovely person to let them use it in the first place, jumps aren't exactly cheap :)

9tails

Visit site
Had very similar at our yard, one girl was seen picking up and hurling the polypoles and plastic wings over the arena fence from horseback when she did put them away. The owner has tied them up elaborately with baling twine. Of course you could undo the baling twine, but these lazy girls can't be bothered.

Kelly1982

Visit site
Your well within your rights to stop people using them. They are taking the pee!!! If you borrow something then you put it back exactly as you found it in my eyes.

Not to mention people wanting to school or lunge and having to dodge the jumps. On every yard I have been to the rule is to put jumps away once finished.

Not to mention being left out in all weathers rots the wood etc

Dipsy83

Visit site
not being petty at all

At our yard we have a mixture of YO's and liveries stuff, but you know its to be treated with respect. we have had to put notices up before with certain people, but they soon got the hint.

ZoeF

Visit site
I think you are being very generous letting people have free use of your equipment, as someone has already said they arent cheap.

Maybe its worth giving them another chance and saying to them all that if the equipment isnt put away again after use then you will stop everyone using them, they may be more careful if they realise they risk spoiling it for everyone!!

Shantara

Visit site
Urg, I know how you feel!

I left my fork at the yard and the prongs were bent out of shape when I next went to use it :\
I bought a wheelbarrow, which got a puncture (my fault) but when I went back to the yard, someone had obviously tried to use it!!
A likit of mine was used, someone used my NED numnah and an entire bin of feed was taken. ARG!!

Spring Feather

Visit site
The YO should really have her own set of jumps. If this bothers you as much as you say then I'd just tell all the other liveries that if they don't put the jumps away after use then you are going to remove them from the premises. My jumps stay up in all weather, winter and summer. People using my arena are welcome to move them or put them all away, it doesn't bother me what they do but then I'm very lax on rules. It isn't run that way on the yard you stay at therefore you have the right to make these rules for anyone using your jumps.

Luci07

Visit site
Put them away, tie them up and put a large notice attached saying they can only be used with prior permission from yourself and must be out away after use. Also state that if the jumps are used again, without permission and then left out, that you will lock the jumps away and no one can borrow them. Tell your YO what you are going to do before you stick up the sign!

Elvis

Visit site
We had a similar situation at our yard, except it was the lunge pen being used and then not being poo picked by certain liveries, the YM put a notice up saying that if it was found in a similar state again that it would be unassembled and sold, he put a lock on it until all the liveries had seen the notice. Once it was reopened it was never left in the same state again.

WelshD

Visit site
If you plan to stay at the yard for some years I would offer to sell the YO the jumps - that way it becomes her problem

If you keep them and allow everyone to use and abuse them they wont be in a fit state to take elsewhere in a few years time anyway

Moody-Mare

Visit site
If you plan to stay at the yard for some years I would offer to sell the YO the jumps - that way it becomes her problem

If you keep them and allow everyone to use and abuse them they wont be in a fit state to take elsewhere in a few years time anyway

No, I dont want to sell them to YO as you never know what could happen.. Ie, not leaving myself up ***** creek if i ever need to move, not that i am planning to move, but you never know.

noblesteed

Visit site
I was just going to post a moan about equipment/feed going missing and getting broken at our yard, and also feel I am being being petty if I complain... People just take the p*** and I can't be bothered with it! I try and keep myself to myself, stay out of other people's stuff yet still people help themselves. Urgh livery yards are a necessary evil for many I suppose.

Roll on the day when we can afford to move house and I can have my horse at home.

Stinkyhorses

Visit site
I have had exactly the same problem at my yard... although originally everybody on the yard wanting to use them was going to contribute to the cost of some communal jumps so I went off, sourced, demonstrated pictures to seek approval and purchased them and nobody actually paid up. I've been stiffed twice!

People don't appreciate that this sort of stuff actually doesn't come for free; its pretty expensive! I use the rule "you break it you buy it" although thankfully I have never had to actually enforce this as I'm not sure anybody would pay up!

I also find that my gloves, and riding crops and even HATS(!!) are a free for all even though I basically have my own yard inside a bigger yard, folks still go out of their way to borrow my stuff.
I'm not sure anyone would tell me if they actually fell off in one of the hats!

There are still a few honest folks out there who will always text and ask first!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Glad I'm not the only one having this problem :(, I have some poly jumps (21st birthday present ;)) and some wooden jumps we made ourselves. I would dearly love to have both sets out by the school for all to use!

Unfortunately I just cannot bare to leave my poly ones out, as I could never afford to replace them myself if someone else broke them and didn't stump up, so they are locked in my tack room, (if I break them then so be it but they are mine to break).
My wooden ones are currently neatly stacked on a pallet by the school and were until recently available for all, expect visiting people renting the school (I have no way of knowing who they are and where to find them if they did damage them).

However one livery has taken the p**s so much about just dumping them at the side of the school, just vaguely near the pallet :mad:, fillers sprawled everywhere, fake water tray crumpled with jumps piled on top, one wing actually half on and half off the pallet etc, that I have now removed the jump-cups!! I have told her before they MUST be put back as they were found, but this is clearly beneath her so no second chances for her.

They are my property to do with as I please so there :p. lol feel better now, but it has made me so cross, I told everyone the wooden ones can be used if they look after them, but now because of one they will not be used by anyone but me or only when I can supervise. But yet I still feel petty and mean for it... :eek:

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I understand that you moan, and I suppose I believe that it is most likely that people simply thinks that since it is summer, as long as the weather is good, it isn't necessary to put them back in the barn every evening, that they don't want the hassle with getting them back and forth to the barn, they want to use them tomorrow again etc. But, with the benefit of doubt, is it perhaps possible that the problem with people not putting your jumps back into the barn, have something to do with the wording in your rule? You said
YO and I agreed that equipment would be kept in the barn for safety and tidyness. Taht was the only rule, leave things as found

Hypothetically, it then only takes one person to not do it, for that the next person using them will find them already out, and then leave them as found, means leave them out, not in the barn. So perhaps, I would suggest first telling everyone(/put up a note) about that the rule has changed, e.g. the last person which uses your jumps must always put them back in the barn.

But then on the other hand, you're doing them a favour, if they don't appreciate the favour, let them buy their own jumps, and then they can do what they want with them.

pig-dog_1816718i.jpg

3OldPonies

Visit site
If I were you I'd either:

a) tell the YO that she needs to charge for use of the jumps and pass the money to you for maintenance;
b) sell the jumps to the YO;
c) take everything home so that they can't be used by anyone else

OK, so b & c are a bit drastic, but people taking liberties with your stuff when you have let them use it out of the goodness of your heart because there are no other options on the yard is just not on.

warmbloodcrazy

Visit site
You're not being unreasonable at all, if people aren't looking after them then don't let anyone use them but you will probably have to remove them for this to be kept to.

*sprinkles*

Visit site
Just tell the YO that you no longer wish to allow people to use your equipment.

Then the other liveries can chip in together and buy their own.

I agree with this. Jumps and poles are expensive so it's totally unfair for other liveries to have disrespect for equipment you have generously allowed them to use.

At our yard we held a fun dressage comp for liveries only, to raise money for new jumps etc.

HBM1

Visit site
to solve the problem at our yard, the owner of the jumps keeps the cups in her lock up and only she has the combination (well and me, but she trains one of my horses, so I sometimes use them to loose jump him too). Agreement is, if he breaks a pole, I will replace it.