*WARNING RANT* Local show

serena2005

Visit site
i realised today why i dont go to my local show anymore, i stopped going a few years ago due to unfair judging.

so anyway a girl from the yard says she is going and do i want to come, how bad can it be!? bring the cob and i can do any class... well he didnt load which is what i was most annoyed about but then happy i didnt take him when we got there.

Arrived for her 1st class, heard her number being called she was told she was in the correct class, turned out she wasnt, then told her class was already done, so we went to the secertary, "oh no im so sorry you were the only one in the class so we didnt do it, heres a 1st rosette" is that an insult?
then P***k Man who i hate came out " that class has already been my love i have the results here" CONFUSSING OR WHAT!?
mad.gif

so she kicks up a fuss with all the confusion has the class been or not!? so P***K man goes to judge comes back " she will judge you now"
judge " ill judge you but i cant place you iv already placed everyone else and have quailified someone"
my friend " so whats the bloody point of me doing my display?"
is that just treatin gher like a 6 year ld or what!? oh let her do herr display if it keeps her happy!? GGGRRRR

and the other classes she entered got even worse!

ridden horse: 2 horses were riden in double bridles and spurs, and another had a schooling whip!

sorry i just had to get this off my chest

_daisy_

Visit site
i dont do local RC/PC shows for the exact same reason. the last time i took one of my mares i was told by the judge - i cant place you any higher becuase i know that she had a capped hock x months ago - wtf i thought that they were judging as seen on the day.
Also one of the commitees daughters (who doesnt get on with me) tried to run my horse over when i was trying to load her!!

L

lilym

ahhhh the joys of local shows!! best just to chalk it upto experince, i took a new forest in an in hand class locally only to be told "she just doesn't move right for a sec d my dear" !!!!!!!!
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

_daisy_

Visit site
ah well ours arent that bad - just jo bloggs from down the road whos had horses from donkeys but hasnt got a clue about which end of a horse is which!
one judge told my mum to get placed higher in ridden cob class she needed to "consetina(sp) the pony" - when mum asked for a fuller explanation she just replied "you know what i mean consetina(sp)" and made a funny hand gesture. So mum replied. "do you mean work more through from behind?" "yes thats what i mean" came the reply!!!

vicm2509

Visit site
Im not fussed on my local shows either. In the last one I went to I got through to the jump off on my horse. As you know you have to go through the finish markers after the last jump, horse before me jumped clear then cut off to the right after the last jump but before the markers, judge said it didnt matter because it was just a bit of fun, I agree it is fun but she came first based on her time without going through the markers!!! And I came second when really I should have been first
frown.gif

lizzie_liz

Visit site
well a local show i went today had judges that weren't proper judges and loads of people came out complaining. i wasn't doing the showing classes but other people from my yard were and even when she won she still complained about the judge!
as my mare has a nice L stamped on her back it stops us from doing the showing classes so won't have to experience all these bad judges!

serena2005

Visit site
at least 2 horses in every class was from the yard that organises the show, and every time they were placed, comments like " oh they are riding much better today than iv ever seen them!" makes me wanna slap them

ljm

Visit site
I stewarded at a local show and found it the most amazing experience. Showing is so twisted at this level, it's all who knows who. And the judge fancied this woman who then won everything...

lizzie_liz

Visit site
ah yes know what you mean, thats what it was like last year at show i went to today when i had my other horse, many of the judges were from the place and so were the horses and riders.

vicm2509

Visit site
And to add to my post....I went to watch a local show a while ago. I knew the judge (who was the sister of a friend). The judges daughter was showing and guess what, the judge placed her daughter either first of second in every class!

serena2005

Visit site
its so frustrating for people that spend ages getting their horses ready for these poxy shows.

when i went about 4 years ago (to this mentioned show) i was told my mare was "slightly" lame thats why i was placed 2nd!! WHAT??? if you think my horse is lame send me out of the class! it annoyed me so much coz she wasnt lame, she was the best ridden in the class and the girl that won knew the judge and her horse trotted round with its nose stuck in the air!

someone shoot these people

Zebedee

Visit site
Thats appalling. However please don't write all judges at local shows off as rubbish. It's a thankless task at the best of times but some of us do actually know what we're doing.
The first thing any society does when you enquire about going on their judging panels is ask to to put your hand in your pocket & become a member. Then you're required to travel to an assessment day and to assist with judging at shows of their choice on the days of their choice. I made enquiries with one of the societies last year, & it would have cost me in excess of £700 to travel, take time off work, find accomodation etc.
I've been to a show today where one friend was told that her horse was 'too big to be a hunter' (?!), where someone else was told that she had been placed down the line in a coloured class because 'the pattern of your ponies markings is incorrect', and a horse who knocked two fences down & trotted round all the corners was given 17 out of 20 for style in a worker class!
All you can do is get yourself on a committee & start booking decent judges for shows. Write to the organisers of the show you were at today pointing out the glaring errors in the judging. It's hard work putting on a show & no-one wants their efforts b***sed up by c**p judges!!!

scrat

Visit site
My daughter hacked her cob to a local show as we don't have transport. They were only doing a couple of in hand classes but he was a bit tired after the hack and didn't really trot up that well. The judge placed him and then helpfully suggested that we should buy a lorry!! Well my daughter was a bit gobsmacked... like we have a few grand spare and just hadn't thought of buying one!! The other thing that really annoys me at local level is the way the judges feel they have to touch all the horses. The same judge on this occasion ran her hands all over legs and body even the mouth. She then walked around the back pulling the tails out, very risky for her if it kicked. If for any reason one of those horses had a contagious disease they'd all have it. I think somtimes they do this to look more knowledgable than they are. I know they volunteer and we should appreciate how difficult it is to keep these shows going. I just think that the judging standards are somtimes quite poor.

scrat

Visit site
Why? I'm not sure. A typical show for us means spending hours the day before bathing horse, cleaning tack, rushing around trying to make sure that every thing is packed. Usually we get to bed late and have to get up at stupid o'clock to allow time to clean horse that has laid in poo! Yes it can be soul destroying but I guess when every thing goes well and you get that rosette, its very rewarding.

rach1984horse

Visit site
I took Rosie to a local riding Club Show last year (I am NOT a riding club member but through it would be a good excercise as our first show).

We did a not great show in our first ridden class and were put second last. Rosie got a wee bitty over enthusiastic.

But throught nothing of it and went on and did a lovely walk trot canter in the M&M. Got placed at the end of the line up, even though Rosie behaved a million times better than some, and some had not even groomed their ponies.

I took her out to do our wee show and the judge asked how old she was. I said 17. And she said, "Oh... Right..." and gave me a funny look. But off I went. Did a lovely show. Stopped. Bowed then went back into my place. And the judge started waving me forward. So walked Rosie up only to be told that "I think your pony is hopping lame. It's riddiculus to think a pony OF HER AGE can compete at this level. You can stay but I won't place you and higher and won't allow you to trot again."

I politely said no thank you and troted out the arena.

Neither me, YO, various ear wigging spectators, vet or farrier could find anything wrong with her. Assume it was just the judge being a snob and unhappy with my daring to put an older pony in the class.

Won't be going back to that show again...

tiggie

Visit site
I was steward at our local show on saturday and the judge told me that he thought a huge black section D was a fell or a dales! I was speechless

miss_bird

Visit site
i was it a local show last year and a few friends and i were watching the pony jumping, there were two little lads in the jump off as the first one went in the judge said their name and horse's name over the tannoy, the poor lad had 3 fences down and i could not believe the judge said over the tannoy "well that was a bit of a cricket score" my friends and i could not believe it this lad was only about ten and had really tried. The next lad went in and the judge obviously knew his family as she said "come on tom just take your time you cant do any worse than that". I would of been fuming if the first lad had been my child.
We all know how nervous it is to compete at any level but when judges say things like that they should be but in stocks and have custard pies thrown at them

the watcher

Visit site
Serena, I know it makes you wild and seems unprofessional and disorganised but maybe things would be clearer if everybody know what is invovled in setting up and running a show.
Never mind the volunteers, I'll come back to those as the most difficult..let's start with the costs. I have run a show every year for the last 7 years, except this year, I finally ran out of steam, so costs will have to be a guestimate..
Toilets 150, commentary/timing/caravan hire 450, paramedics 250, rosettes and trophies 150, insurance 250, lunches for judges/stewards/volunteers 50, we have our own jumps and ropes, to hire them maybe 200?

So whoever is running your show HAS to make £1500 just to cover their costs, and most of us are hoping to raise funds for a charity or equine organisation.

THEN try finding judges, the good ones are rarer than hen's teeth and booked up one year in advance by county/breed shows, so you scout around your friends and aquaintences for show horse producers and native breeders of repute (who hopefully aren't going to aforementioned other shows). And then there is the showjumping, pay a course builder..or find a knowledgable volunteer to build and of course to judge these classes, and a confident commentator who will keep the whole day under control.

In the background there are the runners (might cost you another £100 to the local ATC or scouts), treasurer, secretary and of course a contribution to the landowner for the field.

THESE ARE ALL PEOPLE WHO HAVE GIVEN THEIR OWN TIME, willingly, without payment, so that you can have a fun day out with your horse or pony (in the case of the organiser, they have given up weeks!). OK the judging might be hit and miss, the showjumping might lack variety and there might be a disorganised queue at the secretary's tent..but go in the spirit that this is intended as fun for amateurs and you won't go far wrong.

If there were glaring mistakes at County or qualifying level I would be a cross as the next person, at this level I think you should be a little more tolerant.

Folara

Visit site
I totally agree with you The Watcher. My friend is the Secretary to a horse show (run this sunday) and she works her butt off trying to get it all organised. She has to put up with Judges phoning 2 days before and saying they now cant make it, cups not being returned even tho they have been promised to be, and this year the St Johns Ambulance turned up late. Then of course there is the weather and ppl complaining to you about it - like you can change it.

I and many other people are all 'helpers' - ie we do this for free to help other people enjoy the show, it would be nice to hear some positive comments for once. Where would you all be without the local show to pop along to for fun?

Perhaps instead of complaining about how crap your local show is you should go and be a volunteer and see just how much hard work it is.

beauzar

New User
Visit site
I couldnt agree more Watcher! I used to run shows too and finally gave up due to being fed up with people moaning all the time and the rising costs of holding the show.

I would also like to give a judges point of view on this topic.....I judge at local level and am so disgusted with the attitude of some of the competitors that I rarely judge now. I have never done 'favours' for anyone, any horse/pony that wins under me wins it on its own merit.

I once placed a pony 3rd in a mixed M&M class and the handler/owner angrily asked me why it hadn't won as it had already won a county show! It was a bad example of its breed and I can only assume that it was the only one in its class at the county show! I judge what I see on the day and not on past merit and find it offensive when competitors challenge my decision just because their horse/pony has won elsewhere which happens all too often at local shows.

Yes, some judges will do favours but this is for the organisers to sort out and not ask that judge back again but they will only do that if people put their money in for an official complaint....theres no point in ranting and raving if you're not willing to put your money where you mouth is
grin.gif

Sooty

Visit site
Local shows are so variable. Last one we went to, Troggy took Toffee into the riding club horse or pony and wasn't placed. She asked the judge what she had been looking for, and what they could do to improve. The judge, who was in her early 20s and wearing jeans, said "oh....just...stuff". The horses that were placed were not what we would consider riding club types, but showing judging is notoriously arbitrary. I loathe showing for that reason.

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
Thank you! Totally agree and as a sometime judge I actually find this post really insulting!

Maybe those people who moan should try giving up THEIR time to put something back! I agree that some of the things mentioned just should not have happened and blatant favourtism is not on, but judges have to take a lot of stick too, the majority of competitors are fine but there is a contingent of people in showing who are just plain bad sports, they expect lame horses to be placed above sound ones and get shirty when it does'nt happen....oh an don't get me started on correctness of dress and standard of riding....................I could rant about that for hours

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

clipclop

Visit site
Well said Zebedee.

A totally balanced view.

It's a very hard job putting on a show or any equine event. The day is always, at best, controlled chaos. One thing can go wrong and a whole line of problems crop up.

Join a committee and take control of the problem.

I joined a committee to give back what I had taken out of the horse world. I wish I had done it sooner. I would not have been so quick to huff and puff about stuff.

I agree the OP's problem was a smacker though. OOPS!
crazy.gif

Hope you ahve a better time next time
smile.gif

L

lilym

i have to say i totally agree with you there, without these people giving up their free time there would be no show for us to enjoy, i think at local you should go along, support your local club etc, and take things with a pinch of salt and chalk it up to experience, and have a damn good laugh about it afterwards!!!

susan_w

Visit site
Not sure that I totally agree with you there. We have just spent the last eight months organising the Pony Club Area Showjumping competiton for our area, and for one thing the costs were far greater than that, but also, what is the point in putting all that effort in, if competitors have to accept that it will be amateurish, and that they may not get judged properly.

The competitors pay their entry fees, and deserve to be judged fairly and professionally.