Warning re aqueous cream...

Booboos

Visit site
I've been using it on 3 horses' hooves this summer since seeing it recommended on here, one is much better than before, enormously improved really, another is the same as before when I used other products and the third is worse so I stopped using it for him. Doesn't mean much though as all of this could be coincidence and nothing to do with the actual cream!

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
always strikes me as a bit odd when radiotherapy patients (well ones I know) have been told that's all they can use on their skin... personally I wouldn't touch it with the proverbial bargepole, let alone through radiotherapy...

Piglet

Visit site
OMG!! I use it on my own skin :eek: :eek: think I will be getting g proper moisturizer from now on. Thank you for highlighting it's problems

only_me

Visit site
Botanica :) amazing stuff, great as a hand creme and the wash is brill!
We use it on horse's cuts as well -brill stuff as also a natural anti septic! :)

Jesstickle

Visit site
Some people don't suffer adverse reactions to it. It is only soap at the end of the day! I looked at several pots of moisturiser around my house and most of them had some sort of detergent in. Not always SLS but often polysorbate 80. Seems to be pretty normal. I for one will not be panicking quite yet. The study only concludes that aqueous cream may not be the best thing to put on skin already compromised by eczma

Theresa_F

Visit site
I too was given a huge pot of the cream when I was having radiotherapy and told to apply several times a day, and my skin felt far better for using it.

I still have a bit left and have to say, it is great on my feet which still suffer from dry skin from the chemo.

I suppose it is like a lot of things, some react to it and others find it very effective.

I can't believe that if it were that bad, it would still be standard issue for radiotherapy patients and I am talking in both the NHS and private centres.

tristar

Visit site
the hoof is covered by a delicate thing called the periople, sorry can't spell! excessive rasping by the blacksmith can spoil it it, and anything containing soap dissolves fat and grease in the cleansing process, so possiibly is not good for hooves, maintaining the delicate moisture balance is an art and attention to weather changes and ajustments in management needed.

i believe the destruction of the periople leads to moisture loss, inabilty of the hoof to regulate and retain its own moisture levels.

i would only ever apply stuff to hooves as and when needed and only use completely natural substances.

Kat

Visit site
Aqueous cream use to be one of the treatments and used extensively for eczema after a good wash/bath with emulsifying ointments, patients use to be slathered with it(& I dont remember their skin falling off or anyone ever complaining though)!?!. Now Hydromol is used. I wouldnt even think to put aqueous on hooves etc or much else(cornucresine??spelling around band but never hoof) but I do use it sometimes on my old boys sheath or hydromol.Whatever is to hand(literally) but now go for a tub of hydromol.

If you look at different brands of Aqueous cream they do contain slightly different ingredients as I had one brand for taking off eye makeup and it didnt sting but another shops own brand did.When I checked the ingredients there was a difference.
However Hydromol is good etc. I also sometimes use good old vaseline!

Johnsons baby lotion is very perfumed! Go for Hydromol for human skin..old boy has survived many tubs of Aqueous on his bits and bobs.(Horse I mean)

Well you say that you don't remember chunks of skin falling off but my sister used to slather this on her feet twice a day and then put white cotton socks on as instructed by the doctor and despite this chunks of skin would fall off and her feet would crack and split. They would itch so badly and be ever so sore.

She had eczema in all the usual places but her feet were always worst, and when her skin has been ok elsewhere he feet have never been quite right. This just makes me wonder whether all that time she was putting something on them religiously that was making them worse.

She was always advised not to use any other products, we had to stick with one brand of wash powder and she couldn't use normal bath products just Oilatum in the bath. I wonder whether she would have been better off using normal moisturisers all along......

Anyway for anyone looking for a nice natural moisturiser I can recommend using almond oil or olive oil. You don't need much and although it takes a while to soak in it does the trick, you also know that there is nothing horrid in there as it is suitable to eat!

Louby

Visit site
Ive been to a dermatologist today and mentioned it in passing, he reckonned it was fine and if it was working to carry on using it :confused::confused: He said there will always be some people that react to one product or another.
I also have Diprobase which is for eczema and looking at the ingrediants it has sodium dihydrogen and phosphoric acid in it, not that I know what they are??

burtie

Visit site
I have used aqueous cream for years as both a soap and moisturiser and have never had any problems but it has to be Boots aqueous cream as all other makes made my condition worse, so theirs must be a different recipe to others!

indie999

Visit site
If a your dermatologist/tissue viability nurse recommends a product they will certainly know what is best for you.

If you ever get a chance to read side effects and precautions/contraindications etc for most pharmaceutical products/over the counter etc etc etc there will be side effects. Some will suffer others will not.

And if you read most of these side effects you probably will not use anything!

As the old saying goes if it aint broke dont fix it.

Years ago it was Lazards paste or emulsifying ointment melted in boiling water added to a bath/Aqueous cream slathered and netty vests covered patients. Daily baths recommended.

Then Oilatum came along & is still available.

Nowadays it can be ie Hyrdomol wet or dry wrap plus all the garments different companies provide to stop the itching.

And whatever happened to calamine lotion? But hooves I have no idea??

abina

Visit site
I'm quite shocked at this!!! :eek:

I was instructed to slather this on by the bucket load by the hospital when I was having radiotherapy..... to stop the skin breaking down!!! But from what you have said it would do the opposite! :confused:

And I still have a tub I was using for a hand moisturiser..... will be looking for an alternative now. :rolleyes:

A little alarmed now as we were also advised by the hospital to use it on my mum who had a severe stroke and is now basically confined to her bed and a wheelchair but is unable to move and is paralysed down her right side
. Am now going to look into this in a greater depth as this has shaken me a bit at the thought that we are making things worse when she is unable to speak and tell us.

indie999

Visit site
I will throw another spanner in the works here I remember Hibiscrub being withdrawn from market in the 1980s. We were told to wash our hands with it and our skin pores started opening up,painful sore skin etc it was used as a theatre skin prep etc. But it was withdrawn quite abruptly. It then reappeared in its current form.

Hibiscrub can sting too..........I am not knocking it in its current form although it does stay active on the skin for quite a few hours and is a strong skin prep but whenever I see it in the shops I still think of its old formula. It is a very strong antibactericidal and definitely should be used with caution.

We had to go back to old fashioned bars of soap and water.

recently I viewed a horse and the owner regularly washed the horses tail and feathers in Hibiscrub ?..

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
Crikey, I have recommended the stuff to everyone, I use it myself, my horse uses it, infact I have just smothered myself in it.:eek:

Just lazily reading this thread as saw your reply and actually lolled!! Sorry hehe but imagined you all white with cream and reading it and thinking OMG!! XX