Warwick Schiller

Mule

Visit site
I took my horse to a different clinic to yours, I think it may have been 2015 though. I had liked the videos, but hated the clinic. It was very much all about Warwick Schiller, which is fair enough I guess, but I also thought it was to the detriment of the horse.

We were stood still in the cold for almost 2 hours, then suddenly they had to do fast turns and cantering, no warm up. One in particular got very distressed, and then came down with colic.

I was supposed to run at my horse a'flailing a whip to see if he was grounded or some such thing. He stood his ground as he and I had a good history, but then I was told that it was because he was shut down so Warwick took over and found that he could scare my horse if he crawled up to him. Not sure what that was about.

Hey, I am just a person, and I possibly just didn't get it, but also, hey, I was on a clinic to learn, so even if I got it all wrong, then maybe it was not explained properly.

He wanted me to do 2 hours of lungeing on a 12ft rope, at canter with quick changes of rein. Apparently that would change my horse. Yep, I thought, it would change him from sound to lame...

I got sick of the sound bites. EG, I was lying to him. ???? Oh, he said I dyed my hair, so I am a liar, as I was trying to trick him to think I was more beautiful or youthful than I was. Er, I don't dye my hair. OK, I was lying because I wore make up to make myself appear something I am not. Er, nope, no make up here. Just sun cream as I have rubbish skin. OK, so I wore a bra, so I was lying to him, trying to make my breasts look more appealing than they are really. Ha, yes, I am wearing a bra, but if he owned a set of boobs he would know that if I don't wear a bra the flimmping hurt if I run/walk fast/ride. It is a T shirt bra, not some lacy basque!!!

I was told how bad my horse was when we started (I thought he was quite good actually) and how much he had improved (I thought he was now confused). Of course, because I did not do the work, as in 2 hours of solid flipping round at canter on the lunge, that is why my horse had not improved...

So, on his videos I see a lot of things I like. I like how he thinks about stuff - on video. But I would never subject a horse of mine to that experience live at a clinic.
He sounds extremely odd o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: TPO

MDB

Visit site
I like what I have seen of him in his videos. He has changed his approach to some things in recent years and he says himself that he looks and does some things quite differently now. For example I was quite surprised to see a recent video of how he now addresses horses that bite by engaging with them by gently rubbing their muzzle and under the chin.
I haven't been to any clinics but
I subscribed to his videos and I can honestly say they helped me enormously with my spooky reactive mare who would not hack alone. She turned into a safe solo hacking horse within a couple of months.
I saw a video of him recently doing some kind of gentle energy work with a horse, to me it seems like he is going a bit alternative, for want of a better word.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I'm now wondering if I should look I to this aikido clinic. I initially dismissed it as "not my thing" but I'm clearly missing the point! I'll go and have a look at it now - thank you both

Me too! It'll probably sell out before I can be sure I'll be up there to go though.

Jnhuk

Visit site
Dave Stuart is coming to Scotland also in August and would recommend him and I will taking part. Watched a previous WS clinic near St Andrews few years ago and was not impressed but I was there only on the Saturday

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
I see the occasional video of his on YouTube, sort of the trailer to a full video. I liked what I saw about spooky horses and headshy horses from him, both things I dealt with my mare in 2017. He seemed to have a common sense approach that was practical for us regular folk. Haven't seen any of his vidoes for a while though and that kind of attitude a clinic would have put me right off.

cauda equina

Visit site
I like what I have seen of him in his videos. He has changed his approach to some things in recent years and he says himself that he looks and does some things quite differently now. For example I was quite surprised to see a recent video of how he now addresses horses that bite by engaging with them by gently rubbing their muzzle and under the chin.
I haven't been to any clinics but
I subscribed to his videos and I can honestly say they helped me enormously with my spooky reactive mare who would not hack alone. She turned into a safe solo hacking horse within a couple of months.
I saw a video of him recently doing some kind of gentle energy work with a horse, to me it seems like he is going a bit alternative, for want of a better word.
I know this is an old thread, but I've just come across the nipping/mouthy video ('A suggestion for horses that are mouthy and nip')
I'd be interested to hear other peoples' opinions on his approach - that is, engaging with the horse rather than trying to 'fix it'

Last edited:

eahotson

Visit site
Mark R is in Scotland doing unmounted Aikido clinics only. I've always missed him when he came over in years gone by and really want to at least spectate at one of his clinics.

I'm still in two minds about going to spectate at Buck Brannanman this June since I pulled out of riding there.
I loathe Buck Brannanman.

onemoretime

Visit site
I took my horse to a different clinic to yours, I think it may have been 2015 though. I had liked the videos, but hated the clinic. It was very much all about Warwick Schiller, which is fair enough I guess, but I also thought it was to the detriment of the horse.

We were stood still in the cold for almost 2 hours, then suddenly they had to do fast turns and cantering, no warm up. One in particular got very distressed, and then came down with colic.

I was supposed to run at my horse a'flailing a whip to see if he was grounded or some such thing. He stood his ground as he and I had a good history, but then I was told that it was because he was shut down so Warwick took over and found that he could scare my horse if he crawled up to him. Not sure what that was about.

Hey, I am just a person, and I possibly just didn't get it, but also, hey, I was on a clinic to learn, so even if I got it all wrong, then maybe it was not explained properly.

He wanted me to do 2 hours of lungeing on a 12ft rope, at canter with quick changes of rein. Apparently that would change my horse. Yep, I thought, it would change him from sound to lame...

I got sick of the sound bites. EG, I was lying to him. ???? Oh, he said I dyed my hair, so I am a liar, as I was trying to trick him to think I was more beautiful or youthful than I was. Er, I don't dye my hair. OK, I was lying because I wore make up to make myself appear something I am not. Er, nope, no make up here. Just sun cream as I have rubbish skin. OK, so I wore a bra, so I was lying to him, trying to make my breasts look more appealing than they are really. Ha, yes, I am wearing a bra, but if he owned a set of boobs he would know that if I don't wear a bra the flimmping hurt if I run/walk fast/ride. It is a T shirt bra, not some lacy basque!!!

I was told how bad my horse was when we started (I thought he was quite good actually) and how much he had improved (I thought he was now confused). Of course, because I did not do the work, as in 2 hours of solid flipping round at canter on the lunge, that is why my horse had not improved...

So, on his videos I see a lot of things I like. I like how he thinks about stuff - on video. But I would never subject a horse of mine to that experience live at a clinic.

He sounds like a right nutter. Fancy coming out with those personal things about you, what's it got to do with him about your hair, make up, bra etc. Damn cheek.