was he choking?

weesophz

www.facebook.com
Last night at the farm i gave fox his carrot which he always gets when i go up.

He practically scoffed the whole thing in a oner, and then when he was chewing was making strange grunting noises, almost like he was burping? he kept rubbing his nose of the floor aswell.

i took him out his stable and walked him around the yard and he seemed fine, then went straight to his haynet when i put him back in.

weird little horse. made his feeds watery just incase it happened again, do you think it was choke?

hackedoff

Visit site
yes he was choking my new pony did the same = large vets bill! my advice is to slice the carrots finely lenght ways and to ensure apples are cut into think segments. ponys only have one tube for food and air to go down so choke is serious as can result in lung infections.

weesophz

www.facebook.com
mind didnt seem to need to vet, i know that minor chokes can clear themselves, it was just very strange as he's never done it before! thought he'd swallowed it whole! he's fine today so he cant be that traumatised haha.

Spring Feather

Visit site
ponys only have one tube for food and air to go down so choke is serious as can result in lung infections.

The oesophagus takes food to the stomach. The trachea takes air to the lungs. When the oesophagus is blocked, the trachea isn't so the horse can of course still breathe. When a horse chokes it usually does so beyond the soft palate which is why horses can still breathe whilst having choke.

OP your horse sounds like the carrot became temporarily wedged but it did not cause full blown choke. You'd know about it if it did because the first time you see choke you go :eek: It's one of those conditions that after you've seen it a few times it's not so worrying. I have a horse who has choked many times (due to old age and lack of teeth) and he's never required vet treatment but I'm familiar with choke so for anyone who doesn't know what to do or have the appropriate medication to hand then they should call their vet.

weesophz

www.facebook.com
OP your horse sounds like the carrot became temporarily wedged but it did not cause full blown choke. You'd know about it if it did because the first time you see choke you go :eek: It's one of those conditions that after you've seen it a few times it's not so worrying. I have a horse who has choked many times (due to old age and lack of teeth) and he's never required vet treatment but I'm familiar with choke so for anyone who doesn't know what to do or have the appropriate medication to hand then they should call their vet.

i know ive seen choke before, my old pony had it really badly and after the vet cleared it he had a horrific nosebleed. i just wasnt sure as ive only ever seen extreme choke not a mild case like this haha, lucky me!

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
He probs had a wee bit stuck the wrong way and cleared it himself, kinda like us taking a drink when swallowed summat not chewed enough ;)

Im sure he will be just fine but Id maybe half the carrot the next time, makes them think they are getting more PMSL :D

weesophz

www.facebook.com
He probs had a wee bit stuck the wrong way and cleared it himself, kinda like us taking a drink when swallowed summat not chewed enough ;)

Im sure he will be just fine but Id maybe half the carrot the next time, makes them think they are getting more PMSL :D

yeah probably! youd think he'd been starved the way he scoffed it! Yeah i will, i usually do but it wasnt even that big a carrot, the silly git