Was it hillside that had a bit of a dodgy reputation?

sunshine100*

Visit site
I had a horse who went to hillside due to personal circumstances it was one of toughest days I’ve ever had. I felt like it was quite misleading I know I was parting with that horse and they weren’t keeping him for me but I was told I could contribute to him and they would update me on him I was also told I could volunteer occasionally so I could still see him etc tho since he’s been gone I’ve only had one update and my messages I have sent never get replied to I always think about him. I probably wouldn’t have picked that option if I could have seen in to the future.

can you not turn up and ask to see him?

Horseaholic

Visit site
I have no idea when I dropped him off there I had to hand over his passport and sign a peace of paper to say he was now in their care I suppose that means they can refuse me seeing him as I have no rights over him I know which location I dropped him at but to my knowledge hillside has two locations or he could be in any number of their fields.

GirlFriday

Visit site
your quite judgemental for someone who only loans horses as you don't want the responsibility for when they get old or can't be ridden anymore.

I have never loaned. Can't afford to keep a horse whether or not it can be ridden actually. Share is a different thing.

rascal

Visit site
And how often do you take on non-ridden companions to let them enjoy that life? Some people obviously do... but very few and far between...

Why, are people only allowed ridden horses and ponies?
We do not often take on more, as we believe in keeping them for life.

Last edited:

honetpot

Visit site
Wowzers, just seen those figures from companies house. Turnover nearly £7m in 2016. I wonder how many people who donate know this and check out who they are donating to. A friend of mine has just donated and shared on her Facebook.
How can this be possible if most of them live outside. http://www.hillside.org.uk/
I live near Wood Green and their costs must be huge and they have a large amount of buildings to maintain including an indoor school.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have never loaned. Can't afford to keep a horse whether or not it can be ridden actually. Share is a different thing.

if you have never owned a horse and only share you are in no position to judge people who do or have owned elderly or non ridden horses that they are struggling to pay for and may consider pts, you will have no idea how that feels most decent horse owners don't consider pts lightly it's no easy option believe me.

DD

Visit site
just watched the videos they all look very well cared for. What exactly are people griping about? the amount of salary or they way animals are cared for? or something else?

Last edited:

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
just watched the videos they all look very well cared for. What exactly are people griping about? the amount of salary or they way animals are cared for? or something else?

Because those videos are what they have chosen to allow people to see, not what people that live close by see. You could ask any of the horse fraternity, including the more new-age of us, and they will all say the same - what you see is not the reality.

popsdosh

Visit site
How can this be possible if most of them live outside. http://www.hillside.org.uk/
I live near Wood Green and their costs must be huge and they have a large amount of buildings to maintain including an indoor school.

I live nearly next door to Wood green for what its worth I havent seen the indoor school used for horses for ages , it used to be available for hire when first built over 20yrs ago however now it raises lots of money as an exhibition venue for which they could not get planning permission at the outset the indoor school always was a white Elephant that achieved what it was intended too.
Hillside is a total disgrace IMHO most of the animals would be better off PTS than live in those conditions if it was any of us keeping horses in those conditions we would be quite rightly be ending up in court however because they have cultivated a few high profile backers that have never seen the reality of whats going on they have made themselves untouchable. What a joke the gay bull was and what a money spinner getting more celebs involved and whats more actually exploiting the Gay community. I wonder if that bull( steer ) is still there as even a late castrated bull needs experienced handling by those around him and could never be trusted. Guess they didnt publicise it as it being convenient to castrate a 'Gay' bull might not have hit the right note.

Last edited:

Horseaholic

Visit site
This is slightly relevant to the thread does anyone know if you get a letter or anything to say you are no longer a keeper of a horse. Like if I was to purchase a horse horse changed ownership details does the previous owner get a letter to say details have been changed you are no longer registered owner like you would with a car ? Thanks

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
This is slightly relevant to the thread does anyone know if you get a letter or anything to say you are no longer a keeper of a horse. Like if I was to purchase a horse horse changed ownership details does the previous owner get a letter to say details have been changed you are no longer registered owner like you would with a car ? Thanks

No you don't.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Ok thanks wasn’t sure don’t think they put passport in there name I know for a long while he was still registered to me

passport is not proof of ownership a lot of people never change the passport especially those that come from abroad, the fact that you signed him over is there proof that his there's unfortunately.

Cecile

Visit site

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
HHO if I am being yellow carded for a post on this thread - it might be worth removing the quoted section from post 24. I mean, if my comment was that close to the truth that a complaint was made then I can't see how the same person would be happy with the same 'defamatory' post being quoted...

JFTDWS

Visit site
It is a shame that Hillside would rather try to silence people than actually respond to the issues and explain quite how they can justify their own figures and business model...

Snuffles

Visit site
I visited Hillside last year and although thought it was not as good as perhaps Redwings, the bits I saw (maybe the part open to the public is a lot different) weren't that horrendous. Must admit I don't agree with their rescue everything ideology

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Despite extracting information from the publicly filed accounts, I too would suggest that if I am to be yellow carded for commenting on this thread, that it may be worth also removing the few posts that respond, and quote my original comment. Otherwise it very much defeats the object of doing it.