Was it love at first sight?

Baywonder

Visit site
Not really, no, and yes 110%

Very first pony - excitement and shock at actually getting my very own pony more than anything else.

Second - no, not in the slightest as I was influenced very heavily by a friend to go ahead and buy it.

Third - yes, 110% without a doubt. On my first (and only) viewing, the very moment I saw him ambling across the field I knew he was the horse for me. The family who sold him were heartbroken at letting him go, but their very tall daughter had just grown too big for him. We bonded straight away, and he was undoubtedly my horse of a lifetime. Gosh, we had so much fun, tears and adventures over the years. When I had to make that awful decision to have him PTS a part of me went with him. :(

TPO

Visit site
When I saw TPO it was. She's the only horse I got that massive butterflies click with.

She was in training with and owned by someone that used to post on here and the now defunct ex-racers club forum. I saw the for sale advert and couldn't stop thinking about her. I already had a horse and needed another like a hole in the head but...

Then a friend who rode out racehorses went to try her. I was heart broken at the prospect of someone else getting her. Thankfully my friend decided against her so I toddled off on a 16hr round trip through the 2010 floods to view her.

As soon as I saw her head over the door I was a goner. If I'd opened the door to 3 legs I'd still have bought her.

The seller told me that the mare was a bit standoffish and wary but I found her itchy bit and she put her head on my shoulder ???

Seller asked me what friend had said about trying the horse, which was nothing just the mare wasn't for her. Seller told me horse tanked off with friend and given her a fright. So now I was worried because I'd never ridden a fit horse in training and my friend was and still got carted.

Oh she was a dream to ride. We had a walk and trot about then a canter up the field. She was just perfect ❤

She scraped through a 5 stage. Physically she was fine but mentally she was very sharp and sensitive so the vet wanted it noted and to speak to me before issuing a pass.

Sadly a freak occurrence saw her on the operating table for suspected cancer, that if found they wouldn't have brought her round. Turned out to be a bit of grit.

Got through that and due to the weight bearing after surgery developed navicular. A very long story involving a lot of vet visits that they didn't even write up or note the lameness. The vets got it very wrong and I naively trusted the experts over myself. Still haunts me 12yrs later.

So yeah the only horse I've ever loved at first sight but it happened

This was her 2minutes after arriving on an Eric gillies lorry

FB_IMG_1659354823944.jpg

Birker2020

Visit site
My Lovely Lari: we went to view him and the owner hadn't come out of the house when we arrived but I went over to his stable as it was only a few foot from the car and introduced myself. He stuck his tongue out as he could smell the mints in my pocket. Not content with the one I gave him, he then grabbed my pocket and pulled. I gave him a sharp "no" and he stuck his tongue out at me again! I had to laugh. He was amazing to ride and I loved him to bits, 'love' in the sense I really liked him. But now, roll on 9 months - I can't describe how much I love this horse. No matter what happens in terms of whether I ever get back on him or not, he will always have a place in my life, I can't bear the thought of parting with him, so even though I may not see him every day if he ends up going to retirement livery, he will always be safe and I will be content not to have another horse because his happiness means more to me than anything. I honestly think if I could turn the clock back knowing what I know now about his physical issues I would still buy him as I love him so much.

My previous horse Bailey: We went to see Bailey as the dealer had rung me to say my horse had arrived from Holland after I gave him a shopping list of colour, sex, size, height and temperment. I distinctly remember saying "horse, what horse, I never agreed to buy one from you?" to which he replied "don't worry if you don't want her there's plenty that will". So off we went, fell in love straight away, she was exactly what I wanted. The day after she came home I took her out hacking on our own, on the buckle end of the reins she was so good. Within a week we were visiting a show and galloping over the XC at the local riding club and the following week competed in a SJ derby! So much confidence. She was my best mate for nearly 17 years and I miss her like crazy. She would look at me a certain way and I knew she was trying to tell me something, we could read each other so well and I only had to look at her for a second to know what kind of mood she was in. We'd go out for hours hacking and I'd be prattling away to her, her ears never went back only ever forwards - I don't think I own a single photo of the 100's I have, of her ears back, she was Gods Angel and she is very, very sadly missed.

Attachments

• 1659422826733.png
    1659422826733.png
    202.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

smolmaus

Visit site
I would challenge any of you not to immediately have your heart stolen if you saw Sadie arrive at the sanctuary. Covered in so many hardened dreadlocks of shit and mud she rattled as she walked, didn't know how to be brushed or even scratched, not an ounce of muscle from years of being in a stable 24 hours a day. Still sweet and curious and the loveliest expression I've ever seen on a pony.

The day I knew I was a goner was the day she whipped her head round to find her sister when I was talking to someone else not paying her due attention, our skulls met quite hard and I swear we gave eachother the same "well, what did you do that for?" look. It would be the guts of a year before things fell magically into place and I was allowed to adopt her but thats the core memory, the mild concussion ?

Sealine

Visit site
Love at first sight? Not really. I didn't really want a coloured but I was getting desperate and I didn't want something with that much bone but I hadn't realised what a chunk he was from the photos in the advert.

Love at first ride? Yes. Polite, responsive, lovely paces, supple and very comfortable. He just made me smile. 12 years later I still have the video from when I went to try him and I have a huge smile on my face.

It took a little while for us to bond. Neither of us had hunted previously but I thought we'd give it a go and it was the game changer for us. Riding a horse for hours with a large group of unknown people and horses, over unknown terrain, jumping whatever appears in front of you and getting home safe and sound was a bonding experience we both enjoyed. Those experiences made us feel like there was nothing we couldn't do together (within reason;)).

Pinkvboots

Visit site
We absolutely loved Arabi horse on left of my profile picture the first time we saw him, he was a 2 year old colt and stood like a little angel to be fussed, we had to have him and I do love the absolute bones of him his 18 now and still the same, his got the most amazing way about him his also fantastic to ride I don't think I will ever feel the same about another horse.

Louis on the other hand was a bit different I did think for some time omg what have I done, but I do really love him now but it took several years to really get him, his just such a totally different horse and has a few quirks but I wouldn't be without him.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
We absolutely loved Arabi horse on left of my profile picture the first time we saw him, he was a 2 year old colt and stood like a little angel to be fussed, we had to have him and I do love the absolute bones of him his 18 now and still the same, his got the most amazing way about him his also fantastic to ride I don't think I will ever feel the same about another horse.

Louis on the other hand was a bit different I did think for some time omg what have I done, but I do really love him now but it took several years to really get him, his just such a totally different horse and has a few quirks but I wouldn't be without him.
You never get two the same, you love them just as much but in different ways , bit like kids hahahh

Auslander

Visit site
100% love at first sight! I didn;t even know if he wa going to be rideable, as he was determinedly dumping people at the mounting block when I first met him.
I had this weird feeling that he and I were going to be just fine, and we were. 10 years later, and I till love every inch of him!

The day I met him
537724_10150971334785730_1301135703_n (1).jpg

Last week

296279714_403373721805758_9092399487229610101_n.jpg

dorsetladette

Visit site
No I dont think it was with any of my ponies past or present.

My current ponies,
B we bought for my daughter to compete on. He had an impressive CV and was a forgiving ride when we tried him so he came home to look after her. He was an a***hole on the ground when he first arrived and i cried more than once worrying we'd bought the wrong pony. He's now a gentleman in every way.
Robin came as a companion to B when Ben went back to my sister. He was cheap and pretty and has since stolen everyones hearts.
Reggie was a pity purchase I felt sorry for him, but I didn't really like him when he first arrived. But he's growing into a lovely boy.

I lovely them all dearly now, but it didn't start that way.

Barton Bounty

Visit site
100% love at first sight! I didn;t even know if he wa going to be rideable, as he was determinedly dumping people at the mounting block when I first met him.
I had this weird feeling that he and I were going to be just fine, and we were. 10 years later, and I till love every inch of him!

The day I met him
View attachment 96963

Last week

View attachment 96964
Wow, just my type ??? gorgeous

The Irish Draft 2022

Visit site
Yes and no
I instantly fell in love with a loan horse we just contacted as weird as it sounds it was like the movies. He was a problem horse but he behaved very good when I was around him. I was gutted when the loan ended

When I got my first horse I didn’t feel the connection. It took years for me to bond with her even though she is perfect for me . My mam had great bond with her and that’s what stopped me from selling her because I know she would devastate. Truthfully I think our personality’s clashed that’s when I realize I take a different approach I fell in love with her.

JJS

Visit site
Mary felt like a “meant to be” from the first time I saw her photo. She ticked boxes, but there was also something in her expression that reminded me of my first horse, Alice. They were completely different types, but they had the same look in their eyes. I knew she was my horse before I even made the call. It did take us a while to bond, because she’d barely had any human contact until six weeks before I bought her, but I felt like we had all the time in the world to let it develop naturally. Now, she’s the kindest, sweetest girl you could hope to meet (even if she is the biggest stress head I’ve ever known).

Flower was another beast entirely. I loved her before I even knew her. I’d walk into a burning building to get her out, and I think she’d do the same the other way around. She was born exactly in-between my first horse’s birthday and the day I lost her, and I always felt like she was Alice’s gift to me. She trusts me innately and looks after me as if she was born to it. Anything I ask of her she tries her hardest to deliver, and she gives hugs like no other. Sometimes, I look at her and still feel the need to pinch myself because she’s the foal I raised. Someone said recently that there’s something about a homebred that hits different, and that’s the best and only way I can describe it. She’s had my whole heart since the moment she was born.

eahotson

Visit site
Peglo.. I did that too with my dog, I missed having a boy dog so much , we were supposed to be going out for the day on a road trip. We drove up past milton sspca and hubby said , do you want to go in? Have a wee look.. he knew exactly what he was doing that day.. we had the kids with us at the time and I thought , no Its only been a month… and then thought fudge it..
went in and saw a few but nothing that was the right one.
then they said we have this one dog just been brought in , he has no hair, hes been starved and shot with air rifles, frightened with bursting balloons, cigarettes burned on him. My heart was broken already, Here he came, this massive brindle staffy.,, harry! Soon to be the love of my sons life. They said we will keep him on a lead as we havent fully assessed him yet!! He pulled the lead out the staff members hand, ran to my husband.. peed up his leg and ran to my 7 year old son ethan, he sat beside him , licked his face and did not move and that was the happy ending they were inseparable , they are still best pals now. Harry is coming up on 13 ♥️
lovely ending but there are some scum in this world aren't there.

Birker2020

Visit site

The day I met him
View attachment 96963

Last week

View attachment 96964
Handsome boy, just my type :)

timbobs

Visit site
808CD9B3-6F65-42E1-BAEB-C6B6B7043B90.jpeg
This was Ed at the racing yard when I saw him. He didn’t have shoes on, so was slightly pottery when trotted up. I didn’t sit on him but decided I had to have him.
I’ve never bought a horse that way before and don’t think I’d be brave enough to do it again!
He was an absolute sweetie, and I just got a very chilled vibe from him. I was absolutely devastated when I had to have him PTS a few years later.

peanutsmumma

Visit site
My boy was due to be going to the New Forest Sales, he was the only one that caught my eye and I had every intention of bidding on him.
I then couldn't make the sales due to a work meeting, and he ended up being pulled out due to a cut on his leg.
I 100% believe it was fate....we were meant to be together ?

This is him when he was born on the forest and now 5 years later ♥️

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1659426532894_copy_256x192.jpg
    FB_IMG_1659426532894_copy_256x192.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 12
  • FB_IMG_1659426555642_copy_384x289.jpg
    FB_IMG_1659426555642_copy_384x289.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 12

Barton Bounty

Visit site
View attachment 96981
This was Ed at the racing yard when I saw him. He didn’t have shoes on, so was slightly pottery when trotted up. I didn’t sit on him but decided I had to have him.
I’ve never bought a horse that way before and don’t think I’d be brave enough to do it again!
He was an absolute sweetie, and I just got a very chilled vibe from him. I was absolutely devastated when I had to have him PTS a few years later.
Cant beat a pair of ginger ears ? stunning ?

Barton Bounty

Visit site
My boy was due to be going to the New Forest Sales, he was the only one that caught my eye and I had every intention of bidding on him.
I then couldn't make the sales due to a work meeting, and he ended up being pulled out due to a cut on his leg.
I 100% believe it was fate....we were meant to be together ?

This is him when he was born on the forest and now 5 years later ♥️
He is very handsome ❤️❤️

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I'd recently lost my cob and four weeks before that he'd fell on me so I was not in a great place mentally or physically and was unsure if I even wanted another horse. None of my family or friends thought that was the good idea and started horse shopping for me, I found reasons why not to even ring up about any they found but my criteria was no more cobs, no more coloureds, no youngsters.

I fell across J's ad on preloved and was pretty hooked already. Coloured cob, rising four, smaller than I wanted, big white face which I've never particularly been a fan of abd even worse a white tail. I spoke to my RI as was having a confidence crisis as whether I was capable of taking on a youngster and got a lovely confidence boosting reply.

Went to see him, he was in the middle of an ugly duckling phase on a miserable February day. He stuck his huge head (thank goodness he grew into it) into my arms as I scratched under his chin and I was totally smitten. I was "sensible" in that I'd got a feel of how he was to ride, old head on young shoulders, got a two stage vetting and had various contingency plans but he was always coming home with me.

He has turned into my second, perfect one in a million which I'd never thought was possible after losing my wonderful mare.

Barton Bounty

Visit site
I'd recently lost my cob and four weeks before that he'd fell on me so I was not in a great place mentally or physically and was unsure if I even wanted another horse. None of my family or friends thought that was the good idea and started horse shopping for me, I found reasons why not to even ring up about any they found but my criteria was no more cobs, no more coloureds, no youngsters.

I fell across J's ad on preloved and was pretty hooked already. Coloured cob, rising four, smaller than I wanted, big white face which I've never particularly been a fan of abd even worse a white tail. I spoke to my RI as was having a confidence crisis as whether I was capable of taking on a youngster and got a lovely confidence boosting reply.

Went to see him, he was in the middle of an ugly duckling phase on a miserable February day. He stuck his huge head (thank goodness he grew into it) into my arms as I scratched under his chin and I was totally smitten. I was "sensible" in that I'd got a feel of how he was to ride, old head on young shoulders, got a two stage vetting and had various contingency plans but he was always coming home with me.

He has turned into my second, perfect one in a million which I'd never thought was possible after losing my wonderful mare.
Sorry you lost your cob and glad you found another love ❤️

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
When I went to view the 2yo grey filly , on the right , it was love at first sight and I knew I was going to have her immediately . As we were finalising the deal the breeder offered to throw in the 18 month old gelding ( on the left ) " to keep her company " . He wasn't the prettiest pony ( being kind here.- the photo is flattering !) and had a large white star ( not allowed in the breed ) but as the rest of my herd were all older at the time I thought " Meh ! It's a freebie ! Why not ? He can't get any fuglier LOL , and they can be field buddies ! " .
IMG_20220701_145640.jpg
At 4 years old the ' star ' had got even bigger and he appeared to be turning into a mule . Dear god ! What would he look like in another 2years ?
IMG_20220701_150044_kindlephoto-2047887878.jpg
Well - it took a long time for him to come out of his chrysallis , but this was my butterfly at 6yo when his black head greyed out and the ' star ' disappeared . Another two years on and , at 8 , he had gone from a cream dappled dun to a stunning silver rocking horse dapple grey . One of the fun bits of owning him was wondering what colour he was going to be that year ! I owned him his whole life and I loved him to bits .

IMG_20220701_150823_kindlephoto-2047588679.jpg

Last edited:

Barton Bounty

Visit site
When I went to view the 2yo grey filly , on the right , it was love at first sight and I knew I was going to have her immediately . As we were finalising the deal the breeder offered to throw in the 18 month old gelding ( on the left ) " to keep her company " . He wasn't the prettiest pony ( being kind here.- the photo is flattering !) and had a large white star ( not allowed in the breed ) but as the rest of my herd were all older at the time I thought " Meh ! It's a freebie ! Why not ? He can't get any fuglier LOL ! " .
View attachment 97015
At 4 years old the ' star ' had got even bigger and he appeared to be turning into a mule . Dear god ! What would he look like in another 2years ?
View attachment 97016
Well - it took a long time for him to come out of his chrysalis , but this was my butterfly ! I owned him his whole life and I loved him to bits .

View attachment 97017
Aww he is gorgeous

Visit site
Homebreds are always different. I have adored almost every one of ours. But the 3 boys from the mare I don't like I was neither here nor there for. The accidental filly is one of my favourites! She is everything you don't want in a shetland, too small to be useful as a standard, too light of bone, width and depth, her hair is wrong BUT she has the most exquisitely beautiful head (which most shetland people wouldn't actually like ?) she moves for fun and is such a truly lovely pony she will make a kid very happy!

Dum Dum is one of my favourites. He is a happy go lucky cheeky chap and you couldn't help but love him because of his issues when he was born.

My favourite of all the Shetlands was The Wee Coloured Job. He was bought at 6months old from the sales sight unseen. But he turned into the most amazing pony ever. He was sweet, affectionate, a right show off and had a proper zest for life. We did sell him but he has the best home ever now! It's a shame he is gelded but he has a great life with his very own little kid.

lme

Visit site
All of mine. Homebreds because they are home bred and I loved their dams and others because there was something about them that felt right. Home bred 2yo is very wonky but adorable and the spitting image of his grand dam. My newest purchase (bought due to the wonkiness of my 2yo) is probably too big, too young and too green for a rider as old and creaky as I am but, to me, she is perfect.

Surbie

Visit site
100%. I met Archie 5 years ago in my first week at the RDA, when he still had a job there. There's just something about him. I wasn't really looking for a horse, I'd never had a horse...

IMG_3107.JPG

He then was sacked for spooking, spent 9 months mostly on box rest with a recurring abcess and the vet thought he'd have a permanently weak foot & might not stand up to being ridden. When he came sound his owner said he could come to me on loan. I had him on loan for 3 years, and last year, amazingly, she gave him to me.

We've ticked off a lot of my incredibly low-level riding goals and have hacked miles and miles. I have loved seeing his personality come out as he got more settled. He's very affectionate, clever and tries so hard to please. Unfortunately he's still a spooky wuss and I have barely been able to sit on him for a year after a nasty fall, but I still adore every inch of him.

eahotson

Visit site
For me it was my old dog.I saw her at twelve weeks old with another puppy.Other puppy was very polite, she was "never mind him ,Look at me Look at me!!!" Oh and she was called Deirdre!! I thought that that has to go.I couldn't stand in the park calling Dierdre!! She had one ear up and one down.
She was the love of my life, lived until she was nearly fifteen and I was heart broken when she died.
I do have another one now, a different character and I do love her too.